× Members

National Contributions/Credits and ESA

More
12 years 2 months ago #78519 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:National Contributions/Credits and ESA
izzy wrote:

Gordon,
My son gets Income related ESA and is in the support group, his award letter also states that he will be credited with NI contributions whilst claiming ESA.This letter is dated 11/11/11.

I can't find a definitive answer in either direction. I'll see if I can find out tomorrow and let people know.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #78598 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:National Contributions/Credits and ESA
I've contacted the National Insurance Helpline and they have confirmed that NI Credits are paid for both ESA(CB) and ESA(IR).

I'd also like to clear up some terminlogy that I know I have been struggling with and suspect that many members have as well.

National Insurance Contributions
NI Contributions can only be earned through a person being employed or being self-employed (and paying for the Contributions).

NI Contributions are required to satisfy the First Condition for a contribution based benefit such as ESA(CB) and can be used to satisfy the Second Condition.

National Insurance Credits
NI Credits can be earned as a result of receiving a qualifying benefit such as ESA, IB or Carers Allowance.

NI Credits can only be used to satisfy the Second Condition for a contribution based benefit.

Hope this explains things better and thanks to Izzy for picking up the error regarding ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.