× Members

ESA Queries

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97608 by Spridgett
ESA Queries was created by Spridgett
Hi,

I'm a forum newbie, so please treat me gently! :unsure:

I am currently appealing against a Fit For Work decision, in respect of my migration from IB to ESA, and I am seeking answers to three questions:-

In the event the decision is NOT overturned at the mandatory reconsideration phase, can I expect the DWP to inform me of this, or will the first I learn about it be when the bundle of Tribunal documents drops through my letterbox?

I am currently in receipt of the Assessment rate of ESA. In the event that any Tribunal decision takes longer than a year to come to fruition, can I expect this payment to cease after 365 days or will I continue to be paid until a final decision on my appeal is reached? Please note that I would not be entitled to any income related ESA.

If my appeal is successful, albeit after a wait of more than a year, and I am placed in the WRAG, I understand that I would receive the backdated monies due to me but that would be all under the 365 day rule. If I then decide to keep my claim open, for the purposes of N.I. credits, would I then still be required to attend WFI's or undertake WRA's?

Any help or clarification with regard to the above would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #97622 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Queries

Spridgett wrote: Hi,

I'm a forum newbie, so please treat me gently! :unsure:

I am currently appealing against a Fit For Work decision, in respect of my migration from IB to ESA, and I am seeking answers to three questions:-

In the event the decision is NOT overturned at the mandatory reconsideration phase, can I expect the DWP to inform me of this, or will the first I learn about it be when the bundle of Tribunal documents drops through my letterbox?

They may write to you seperately, but it is more likely that you will just get the Tribunal documents sent to your.

I am currently in receipt of the Assessment rate of ESA. In the event that any Tribunal decision takes longer than a year to come to fruition, can I expect this payment to cease after 365 days or will I continue to be paid until a final decision on my appeal is reached? Please note that I would not be entitled to any income related ESA.

Your payments will be limited to 365 days, this will include any time spent in the Assessment phase if this is a new claim. If this was dues to a re-assessment or your being transferred from another benefit, then it will be from the date of the of the Decision.

If my appeal is successful, albeit after a wait of more than a year, and I am placed in the WRAG, I understand that I would receive the backdated monies due to me but that would be all under the 365 day rule. If I then decide to keep my claim open, for the purposes of N.I. credits, would I then still be required to attend WFI's or undertake WRA's?

If you are placed in the WRAG then you will receive back payments for the WRAG component up to the the 365 days and the NI Credits from then on, if you keep your claim open you will be subject to re-assessment but will not be required to attend WFIs or undertake WRA.

By keeping your claim open, if at any future date your condition deteriorates or you develop a new condition that would qualify you for the Support Group, then if successful, your ESA(CB) will be re-instated and remain in payment as long as you qualify for the SG.

I hope this explains everything

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by bro58. Reason: changed OP name on quote
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spridgett

More
11 years 3 months ago #97624 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Queries
In addition to Gordon's excellent advice, I notice that your username might be your real name. Many people prefer to use an alias to preserve some anonymity when posting on an open forum. If you wish to change your usernname, please follow the steps outlined in this FAQ.

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 years 3 months ago #97631 by Spridgett
Replied by Spridgett on topic ESA Queries
Message received and understood. Thank you.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98463 by nofuss
Replied by nofuss on topic ESA Queries
Gordon advised:

If you are placed in the WRAG then you will receive back payments for the WRAG component up to the the 365 days and the NI Credits from then on, if you keep your claim open you will be subject to re-assessment but will not be required to attend WFIs or undertake WRA.

How do those in the ESA WRAG (CB) keep their WRAG status open for NI credits after the year for receiving money is up? Do they get asked if they wish to continue to be assessed for this by the DWP once the year is up or is it perhaps a case of claimants having to write to the DWP and stating that they want to keep up their NI credits? Thanks if you can help with this.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98466 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Queries

nofuss wrote: Gordon advised:

How do those in the ESA WRAG (CB) keep their WRAG status open for NI credits after the year for receiving money is up? Do they get asked if they wish to continue to be assessed for this by the DWP once the year is up or is it perhaps a case of claimants having to write to the DWP and stating that they want to keep up their NI credits? Thanks if you can help with this.

Hi ns,

You simply keep your ESA Claim live. As each ESA award comes with a recommended length of time before you are reassessed, (The Prognosis) you would automatically receive a new ESA50 towards the end of this period.

As long as you continue to fill in and return these ESA50's and comply with any requests to attend a face to face assessment if required, and as a result of these assessments you maintain an award of Limited Capability for Work, (LCW) (WRAG) continuously, you can then apply for a review/supersession.

As I explained here, yesterday : www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...id=10&id=96784#98398

bro58
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.