× Members

IB to ESA transfer

More
11 years 2 months ago #98840 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IB to ESA transfer

Kate wrote: I have now had a third 'standard' letter that answers absolutely none of the questions we have posed in previous letters, and supplies none of the requested information, including clarification about what they have told us to do in previous letters.

For the third time, the letter speaks of "your application for jobseekers allowance". The second sheet of the letter is on the second side of the first sheet and does not contain a closing signature line - it almost looks like it is someone else's letter. Additionally, it now seems that the claim is being dealt with by an office 400 miles away from us!

Despite 4 calls from my husband asking for a callback, still none has come.

I think this is maladministration.

Any advice on what we can do?

Let's go back to basics, what documentation are you trying to get from the DWP and what wuestions do you need answering?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kate
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98843 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic IB to ESA transfer
<i>what documentation are you trying to get from the DWP and what questions do you need answering?</i>

As earlier in the thread:

- all information involved in the decision making (we've been sent 2 copies of the ESA85 , no accompanying scoresheet (still don't know how many points I had, but another letter says I got into the WRAG, although the ATOS doctor asked nothing about mental health conditions which are more than half of my problem)

- a statement of the reasons for their WRAG rather than support group decision

- whether I need to send in medical certiificates as they've said (I'm in the WRAG, but they said I did)

We have this week, in desperation, made a request under the DPA for all the information they hold on me, but my husband tells me they have 40 days to provide this.

We've sent appeal papers (GL24 saying we'll send in more info when they have supplied the info requested) in, and have had a letter back acknowledging. We have now had a letter sayign they ahve reconsidered my application for JSA and still agree with their original decision, and that if I disagree I have to ask for a GL24 and submit it to them (even though we already sent one to the office near us that deals with me) 2 weeks ago.

I don't know what to do and have hardly slept for a week so am in no state to do anyting really. Sorry. Ther is a 10 week wait for CBA and no benefit welfare officers in this area. I am really worried that imight jsut do somethingstupid as I cannot cope any more with all this.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98846 by Gordon
Kate

The problem is that, with the exception of the SoR (see below), the DWP are under no obligation to create these documents in order for them to make a Decision on your claim.

The SoR has a slightly different status, as in principle it should be produced if requested, however, there is no clear definition as to the format that a SoR must conform to, there is for example no standard form to be used. To confuse even further, it is possible for the DWP to be relieved of the requirement to produce a SoR, if they believe that they have already provided the information, even of this was orally and over the phone.

The best that you can is to make a Subject Access Request, which you have already put in motion, for all of the documents that the DWP hold on you, however, it is worth noting that all of the documents used in the Decision should be sent to you in the "appeal pack", if the Decision Maker does not revise the Decision in your favour, and your case goes to the Tribunal Service.

It is not unusual for the DWP to include JSA literature when responding to an ESA appeal, but it is unusual for them to refer to JSA in letters in connection with an ESA claim, but I cannot say whether this is anything more than incompetence.

As you are in the WRAG, appealing to be placed in the Support Group, then you do not need to provide Fit Notes and will continue to receive the WRAG rate while you appeal, subject to the 365 payment limitation for ESA(CB) for members of the WRAG.

If you made your original request for appeal over the phone, then this may explain the request for a GL24, as appeals can only be made in writing, the latest letter indicates that a Reconsideration has already been carried out, this being the case, it is unlikely that there will be any significant attempt to carry out a new Reconsideration as a result of your appeal, so I would not be surprised if the next significant communication is the appeal pack I mentioned earlier.

If you have more questions, please reply to this topic.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate

• Kate
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98849 by Kate
Thanks Gordon.

We have put in a written GL24, and sent it recorded delivery: it was signed for 10 days before this recent letter saying that if we wanted to appeal we needed to send in a GL24.

Do you think we should go to our MP or complain to DWP about maladministration, or is this sort of incompetence standard practice?

If only someone dealing with the case would phone back, it could all be clarified and sorted out really easily, but, we've been waiting over 3 weeks now, and have made 4 requests...
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

• Kate
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #98851 by Kate
And... do ESA85s usually have points scores on them? Mine doesn't. How do people know how many points they have scored?

And, if a doctor hasn't even looked at MH problems (which are more than half of my problems, and most of my claimed route into the SG) what can I do?

More
11 years 2 months ago #98853 by Gordon

TiredOut wrote: Thanks Gordon.

We have put in a written GL24, and sent it recorded delivery: it was signed for 10 days before this recent letter saying that if we wanted to appeal we needed to send in a GL24.

Do you think we should go to our MP or complain to DWP about maladministration, or is this sort of incompetence standard practice?

If only someone dealing with the case would phone back, it could all be clarified and sorted out really easily, but, we've been waiting over 3 weeks now, and have made 4 requests...

There can be value in involving your MP, but as I stated in a previous post, they cannot interfere with the actual process, merely expidite activity.

With regard a complaint, to be honest your experience is not really any worse than many on the forum have suffered, however, this does not mean that you should accept it as standard. See

Complaining to the DWP

If you are just phoning the number on the letters then you are only speaking to a member of the Call Centre staff, many are well trained and helpful, but a significant minority are not. If you want to get a call back, you need to ask to speak to a Customer Service Manager, which will require a call back.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.