× Members

InCap to ESA

• gordoneagling
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 days ago - 11 years 2 days ago #103702 by gordoneagling
Replied by gordoneagling on topic InCap to ESA
Finally got a letter today informing me I have to attend norwich for a medical on 16th May. at least the timing of it isn't too bad 11.10am.

The last 2 or 3 medicals I could have had for Incap were bypassed, now it seems as I maybe fit.

I have tried without any luck to get an updated report from the hospital, the consultant who operated on me in 2000 has left. I honestly don't know who I can try to give me an update.

Would it be advisable to approach my GP for support or wait in case I have to appeal any decision ?

Or any anything else that I cannot think of
Last edit: 11 years 2 days ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 days ago #103716 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic InCap to ESA

gordoneagling wrote: Finally got a letter today informing me I have to attend norwich for a medical on 16th May. at least the timing of it isn't too bad 11.10am.

The last 2 or 3 medicals I could have had for Incap were bypassed, now it seems as I maybe fit.

I have tried without any luck to get an updated report from the hospital, the consultant who operated on me in 2000 has left. I honestly don't know who I can try to give me an update.

Would it be advisable to approach my GP for support or wait in case I have to appeal any decision ?

Or any anything else that I cannot think of

The rules for ESA assessments are very different from those under IB, the vast majority of claimants will be required to attend a face to face, and virtually all claimants have some form of assessment, it does not mean that you are Fit for Work, just that they cannot make a recommendation on your claim without seeing you.

Certainly, if you have not done so already, it would be worth your approaching your GP, you could also request a copy of your medical records

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• gordoneagling
  • Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #108998 by gordoneagling
Finally heard that I have been awarded just 12 points. after 13 years of scoring more than enough, and that is now with two different conditions added to what I already had. I believe despite going to see my doctor prior to the medical, he let me down badly with the coments he made.

I am not sure I can get anymore medical evidence, I was pinning my hopes ion him , I am going to write and ask for them to reconsider on the grounds of the last 13 years and new ailments while I try and see the doctor again, it is hard work getting an appointment to see a particular doctor, the surgery has even resorted to telephone consultations.

all help and advice needed and appreciated
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 8 months ago #109000 by Gordon

gordoneagling wrote: Finally heard that I have been awarded just 12 points. after 13 years of scoring more than enough, and that is now with two different conditions added to what I already had. I believe despite going to see my doctor prior to the medical, he let me down badly with the coments he made.

I am not sure I can get anymore medical evidence, I was pinning my hopes ion him , I am going to write and ask for them to reconsider on the grounds of the last 13 years and new ailments while I try and see the doctor again, it is hard work getting an appointment to see a particular doctor, the surgery has even resorted to telephone consultations.

all help and advice needed and appreciated

I am sorry to hear that you did not qualify for ESA, the ESA scoring system is very different from the IB one and no one can assume that a previously successful IB award will automatically result in an ESA one.

You may understand this already, so forgive me, but ESA is not based on your condition(s) but rather the limitations that result from them, so you need to concentrate on explaining how you meet the ESA Descriptors.

Our advice is for claimants to appeal rather than ask the DWP to look at their Decision again. If you appeal they will look at it again anyway and you may save yourself several weeks or even months if they do not change the original Decision.

Have a look at our ESA Appeal guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

and the following FAQs

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

Qualifying for the WRAG

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

Preparing for a Tribunal

MOJ Video of ESA Appeals Process and Tribunal

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• gordoneagling
  • Topic Author
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112271 by gordoneagling
I was busying myself with getting more evidence etc for the appeal, when I got a letter informing me they reviewed my case and have placed me in WRAG. and backdated my money until August 16th.

nice to have some money again

I was a little taken back. I was unsure if I should accept this or appeal . It still looks like I can get out and about to work or seek work when that is not correct.
Or do I accept this keep my head down and prepare for another assault later on getting into the other group/.

I have a new GP after having to move house. so I am going to see what they are like regards to help as the old one was very reluctant to get involved
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112273 by Gordon

gordoneagling wrote: I was busying myself with getting more evidence etc for the appeal, when I got a letter informing me they reviewed my case and have placed me in WRAG. and backdated my money until August 16th.

nice to have some money again

I was a little taken back. I was unsure if I should accept this or appeal . It still looks like I can get out and about to work or seek work when that is not correct.
Or do I accept this keep my head down and prepare for another assault later on getting into the other group/.

I have a new GP after having to move house. so I am going to see what they are like regards to help as the old one was very reluctant to get involved

A tentative congratulations. :)

Being in the WRAG you are not required to work or even to seek work, but you are required to participate in Work Related Activity and you may be forwarded to the Work Programme.

Work Focussed Interviews

Work Programme

Whether you should appeal or not depends on whether you believe you meet one or more of the Support Group Criteria.

Qualifying for the Support Group

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.