× Members

ESA 0points - what happens now?

• bro58
11 years 1 month ago #101280 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?
No Problem G, :)

This message contains confidential information

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101281 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?

Judith wrote: Hi Gordon

Seems like I have no choice but to appeal. However, it was my understanding that whilst on SSP/IB my insurance contributions were made so have the government changed that a well?? My hubby is 65 this year and we cannot manage without my benefits - the more stress that I receive the worse my health get and now after 16 years am being told I am fit to work and I know I am not.

I would appreciate any encouragement from members to have been where I am. Thank you.

I am afraid that it is common mistake and easily made.

You received NI Credits not NI Contributions.

Ni Credits count towards a full State Pension and in part towards claiming Contribution Based benefits, but you also need have NI Contributions in the relevant Tax Years to be eligible to claim ESA(CB) or JSA(CB).

If you have a look at the latest newsletter in the News section (follow the News link on the left of the page), it has some success stories from members, with links to their original posts.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judith

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101282 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?

Judith wrote: Sorry Gordon think I missed a bit (not surprising really).
You say that if I appeal I will be given an allowance whilst a new decision is being made and I will need sick note from my gp in order to get this - have I got this right?
Thank you Gordon and others :)

Yes, if you appeal, you will be enitled to ESA(CB) at the Assessment Rate until a new Decision on your claim is made, subject to the following.

The payment of ESA(CB) is limited to one year while you are receiving the Assessment rate and/or you are in the WRAG, if you are also eligible for ESA(IR) then payments will continue.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judith

• bro58
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #101283 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?
Don't give up J,

As Gordon has said many members have successfully appealed.

Several have gone from 0 Points to The Support Group. :)

bro58

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by bro58.

• Judith
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago #101284 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?
At least that would ease the situation financially for us as I will be getting my retirement pension in September next year (shame its not this year!).

I dont know how long it will be before I get the paperwork from DWP and unfortunately (maybe fortunately) we are going away at the weekend so I will not be able to do anything in writing until after my holiday so lets hope I come home with more energy to tackle an appeal. I do have good family support but I have just felt so completely shattered this afternoon. :angry:

No doubt I will be back :)

• Judith
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 month ago #101285 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic ESA 0points - what happens now?
Thank you bro - I wont give up but am feeling particularly fragile today in complete disbelief and now and again I do get fed up with having to fight for everything :(

Thank you anyway.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.