× Members

Statement of Fitness for Work

• Judith
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #102175 by Judith
Statement of Fitness for Work was created by Judith
Hello Everyone

Have got my first sick note for 16 years - what I want to know is do I send it on its own to Jobcentre or do I enclose it with my Appeal paperwork? If I send it separately do I need to cover it with a letter and do I need to copy it to send a copy with my appeal papers?

I have read through the appropriate guides on this site several times now and am just about to put pen to paper to construct my appeal. I have downloaded the page where you give an example of letter to appeal panel but what I want to know is on the appeal form it says to complete the appeal in block capitals? This goes very much against the grain for me having been a secretary all my life and as I am intending to type it all on an additional sheet am a bit concerned about typing in capitals?

My letter from DWP was dated 25th March and they stopped my benefit on 29th March and I doubt I had even received the letter by then - would have expected a bit more grace :(

Many thanks,

Judith
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #102183 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Statement of Fitness for Work
Judith

Yes, you can include the Fit Note with your appeal documents but make sure that it is separate and easily identifiable. For Fit Notes you need to send the original, but make sure you keep a copy for your own records.

The GL24 needs to be completed in capitals, but none of the other documents you might want to submit need to.

I am afraid that if you are found Fit for Work, payments stop immediately to prevent an over payment of benefit that then has to be recovered.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 11 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102211 by elaine pyrke
Replied by elaine pyrke on topic Statement of Fitness for Work
For what it's worth, I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that the instruction about capital letters applied only if you were filling in the form by hand, not if you were typing.

I filled in the GL24 by hand in capitals on the questions about name and address etc, but for the question about the reasons for the appeal I managed to get my computer to print directly on to the form inside the relevant box, and it never occurred to me to do that in capitals.

All the best

Elaine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bearer

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102245 by Pipp
Replied by Pipp on topic Statement of Fitness for Work
Glad you have decided to go ahead with the appeal, Judith. Hope you have been able to get lots of supporting evidence from your medical records. Don't forget to use these to cross reference with the descriptors you meet, and include any other supporting info, such a a letter from someone who knows how your impairments impact on your daily activities.

Best of luck
PC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judith

• Judith
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #102447 by Judith
Replied by Judith on topic Statement of Fitness for Work
Hi PC - unfortunately I do not have any medical evidence to submit so what I have done is to take issue with every section that the DM has made untrue comments - some of her comments must have come out of her mind because they were not discussed with me. I have compared their comments with the true effects of my conditions and referred to the various descriptors which should get me at least into WRAG. It is so much more distressing as I am only 17 months off receiving my retirement pension (am 61 in June) and if I had been born in March 1952 instead of June they would not have chased me at all :(
This process was started at the beginning of December 2012 and I am just about to submit my appeal so guess I will then have another very long wait - what the DWP/Government do not seem to realise is that all this emotional stress makes the existing conditions worse - in most cases anyway. My GP gave me the impression that she was absolutely fed up with all of this benefit nonesense and tol me that there is a lot of politicalising going on at the moment!
I will keep the forum updated but reckon it will probably be months before I have anything else to report!

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #102464 by Pipp
Replied by Pipp on topic Statement of Fitness for Work
Hi Judith

Just to be sure, have you had access to your GP records? That was where I found all sorts of letters from previous hospital consultations, and copies of reports from IB and DLA assessments. As I didn't have any help from current consultants, one of whom stating "if the DWP want you to look for work I suggest that is what you do", I was clutching at straws. Some of my GP records dated back to 1990s. In these there was mention of me being unable to mobilise 50 metres, also that I had degenerative changes to my spine. I did not get access to my GP records until after I had made my appeal submission. I had, however, sent the appeal notice within the 4 week limit, simply stating that I wanted to appeal the decision, and that I would send further evidence when I had seen their reasons for not placing me in support group. This gave me time to be able to calm down, think in a more lucid way, and - most importantly- study B&W literature and ask advice on this forum. What I did was argue that as the DWP medical from the 1990s stated I had degenerative spinal condition, the very nature of the terminology would mean that my condition would get worse. Therefore as I was not able to mobilise 50 metres then why did they assume I could now? I was put in support group at reconsideration stage.

I think I remember you saying you had back problems and had been on IB due to this? Therefore it is possible that your GP records may have similar evidence to that which I found in mine. If you put in a brief appeal submission you will have plenty of time to still search GP records. I actually found relevant info in mine dating back to when I was 11 months old. (No, it wasn't written on papyrus in hieroglyphics! :laugh: )

I understand how frustrating it must be for you, being so close to retirement. I think the DWP pick on those of us who are easy targets. I.e. those nearing retirement who being eligible only for the CB ESA will be time limited for the benefit and less likely to appeal. Don't let them get away with it! As you say, though, even a placement in WRAG would be worth fighting for, as it would give you just a few months shortfall in income until you receive your pension. It is a benefit you have earned.

Best wishes

PC
The following user(s) said Thank You: Judith

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.