× Members

Received" need to asses you for ESA" -help please!

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #102329 by kotenok
Hello everyone, been a member for a long while, but mainly reading and learning, post rarely as cannot sit and type due to pain and cloudy head from amount of meds/painkillers-sorry.

Received this letter today saying that they need to asses me for ESA.
My situation is a bit different,
as i've been awarded the IS first(different grounds, not related to illness) and then after some time, i was on IB for short period and awarded SDLA/DLA based on IS.
My question- will this matter?
And what do i do now, they want my phone number to call me? After they will call me, they will send a Limited Capability for Work questionnaire for me to complete and to make an appointment for work capability assessment?
Is this a dreadful transfer? But i just have had my DLA renewed? Please tell me what do i need to do now?!
A huge thanks in advance.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #102337 by slugsta
Hi kotenok,

Everyone on IB, or IS for medical reasons, is being assessed for transfer to ESA. This has no relation to your DLA as the criteria for the two benefits are different.

The DWP like to phone the claimant and ask if there are any questions, the ESA50 form will be sent out soon whether or not they have spoken to you on the phone.

It might be worth downloading the interactive ESA and making a start as you will have a little less than 4 weeks to complete and return the form when it arrives. You will find it in our ESA guides

ESA claims

When filling in the form you should bear the ESA descriptors in mind and relate your impairments to these. Any evidence you can provide should also relate to the descriptors if possible

Qualifying for the Support Group

Qualifying for the WRAG

If you have any further questions please come back and ask them on this thread/topic as it makes it easier for those answering if everything is kept in one place. You will find it easily in future if you mark it as a 'favourite' now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kotenok

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #103022 by kotenok
Thanks Mrs Hurtyback, and sorry for late reply, my mother started this post and then could not return to forum on time, sorry again.
From now, i'll be asking questions on behalf of my mother,as she is not so well and cannot sit for long time i am her carer.
We received the ESA5001/13 form, no idea what to do next, apart from go through the guides, but which one is the guide to a ESA50 01/13 form would be?

Also, we are worrying as my mother doesn't have medical evidences, she only receives her regular medications for the pain and mental health conditions- as she has both physical and mental problems.
She's been told lo-ong time ago! that there is nothing else can be done and she can only take medication to help her through the pain and PTSD.

Are we in trouble?
Many-many thanks Al.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by bro58.

• bro58
11 years 1 month ago #103027 by bro58

kotenok wrote: Thanks Mrs Hurtyback, and sorry for late reply, my mother started this post and then could not return to forum on time, sorry again.
From now, i'll be asking questions on behalf of my mother,as she is not so well and cannot sit for long time i am her carer.
We received the ESA5001/13 form, no idea what to do next, apart from go through the guides, but which one is the guide to a ESA50 01/13 form would be?

Also, we are worrying as my mother doesn't have medical evidences, she only receives her regular medications for the pain and mental health conditions- as she has both physical and mental problems.
She's been told lo-ong time ago! that there is nothing else can be done and she can only take medication to help her through the pain and PTSD.

Are we in trouble?
Many-many thanks Al.

Hi k,

If it is the ESA50 01/2013, you may wish to consider :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the ESA Claims Guides under the heading :

"New ESA50 form"

On this page :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

From our : ESA FAQ’s

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

With regards to medical evidence, it would help to include any supporting medical evidence with the ESA50, but the important issue is to try and show how the limitations suffered as a result of your Mothers's conditions qualify her for an award of WRAG or SG, under the descriptors.

Depending on how supportive Mum's G.P. is, you could approach them to see if they are willing to provide a letter of support to send with The ESA50.

Another option may be to request copies of Mum's G.P. records from the reception.

You may then be able to sift out any useful documentation.

There may well be a charge for both of the above.

If any evidence that you can obtain is "old" you would have to show that Mum still currently suffers any resulting limitations.

As it seems that Mum is being transferred over to ESA from another benefit, you may find it informative to have a look at our :

IB, IS, SDA, Migration to ESA FAQ’s

Please reply to this topic, if you have any further queries.

bro58

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #103029 by kotenok
Sorry, i did forget to ask. As my mother mentioned we've recently renewed her DLA.
My question is could we use the supporting evidences from the DLA renewal?
I mean the explanation of how her condition affects her daily life, the letter from me and from friends, who helping me to care for my mother, so that i can have a bit of time for my needs and when i am not there, as she needs help day and night?
Mom's GP is very not helpful, he just said, when we asked for supporting letter for DLA renewal and we brought with us a form and an explanation of mother's conditions - "i am not going to go through all this and i am not obliged to write the letter". Every time my mother manages to see her GP, he looks at her and treats her as he never seen her before, and as she came to bother him...
Thank you again.

• bro58
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #103032 by bro58

kotenok wrote: Sorry, i did forget to ask. As my mother mentioned we've recently renewed her DLA.
My question is could we use the supporting evidences from the DLA renewal?
I mean the explanation of how her condition affects her daily life, the letter from me and from friends, who helping me to care for my mother, so that i can have a bit of time for my needs and when i am not there, as she needs help day and night?
Mom's GP is very not helpful, he just said, when we asked for supporting letter for DLA renewal and we brought with us a form and an explanation of mother's conditions - "i am not going to go through all this and i am not obliged to write the letter". Every time my mother manages to see her GP, he looks at her and treats her as he never seen her before, and as she came to bother him...
Thank you again.

Hi k,

Unfortunately G.P.'s are not contractually obliged to supply letters of support for their patients.

Any evidence such as you mention should help if they are supportive of the fact that she qualifies for ESA under the descriptors.

This could include letters from friends, family, carers or any one else that knows how her limitations affect her on a daily basis.

You could also write up an account of her "Typical Day" with respect to her limitations.

Although the documentation may not arrive on time, as The DWP have 40 calendar days to comply, you could request any medical reports or documentation used in coming to the recent DLA award, again, if this was supportive, you could send it with the ESA50, or later, if you have not received it by the ESA50 return date deadline.

See : DLA Medical – What forms to ask for?

SAR :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/request-for-personal-information.rtf

From this page :

www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/

I don't know whether Mum has a Mobility award with her DLA, but if she has, you should be aware that the Mobility test with DLA is only a walking test, whereas the Mobilising test with ESA also includes the use of a manual wheelchair unaided.

This is covered in our guides.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.