× Members

Compliance Officer Visit?

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107549 by Mary
Compliance Officer Visit? was created by Mary
My husband has today a received a letter from DWP informing him of a visit by a compliance officer next week. He is in receipt of ESA (SG) and DLA HM MC. Contribution based ESA. he was medically retired about 3 years ago when his disability became too severe for him to carry on working.

He has recently completed his ESA50 agin and been put in the support group again without a medical.Evidence from Consultant and GP. He is. Of due for reassessment for another two years.

He rang DWP to be told it is nothing suspicious but just a review of his case. I have not heard of this before and we are of course suspicious of their intent. they wish to see evidence of ID etc which is no problem but also wish to see evidence of occupational pensions of both my husband and myself, Isas, bank statements etc. etc. now I find this strange, he is not claiming anything income based just the two benefits stated. Can anyone advise as to what this can all mean?
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107553 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Compliance Officer Visit?
Margaret

We have seen a number of members have these visits recently, it seems to be related to claimants having some pension income whilst receiving ESA(CB), which as you point out should not be a problem providing that the £85/week disregard is not exceeded.

So far, no one has reported a problem, a the meeting have been short and sweet once the CO has seen the necessary documentation.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mary

More
10 years 10 months ago #107556 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic Compliance Officer Visit?

Gordon wrote: Margaret

We have seen a number of members have these visits recently, it seems to be related to claimants having some pension income whilst receiving ESA(CB), which as you point out should not be a problem.

So far, no one has reported a problem, a the meeting have been short and sweet once the CO has seen the necessary documentation.

Gordon

Thank you Gordon

Yes, I just find it strange and rather intrusive to be honest. He is in receipt of occupational pensions ie civil service and Local government, I have my NHS pension. As you correctly point out, neither of the benefits are income related, just seems a cheek really. My husband has got himself all worked up over this, paranoid even, suspicious of malicious intent. This really is a case of jumping through hoops continuously which is clearly not conducive to good mental and physical well being. He is already at a low ebb as the morphine patches make him feel sick and dizzy and he struggles with feelings of uselessness since retiring from his demanding job and coming to terms with his disability.

More
10 years 10 months ago #107557 by Gordon
Margaret

I amended my post after submitting it, but I was obviously not quick enough to catch your reply :(

Under normal circumstances there is an £85/week disregard for pensions when a claimant is receiving ESA(CB), pensions in excess of this will result in a £1 deduction for every £2 of pension, so if you husbands pension were £100/week then there would be a £7.50/week deduction (£100 - £85 = £15 / 2 - £7.50).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107563 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic Compliance Officer Visit?

Gordon wrote: Margaret

I amended my post after submitting it, but I was obviously not quick enough to catch your reply :(

Under normal circumstances there is an £85/week disregard for pensions when a claimant is receiving ESA(CB), pensions in excess of this will result in a £1 deduction for every £2 of pension, so if you husbands pension were £100/week then there would be a £7.50/week deduction (£100 - £85 = £15 / 2 - £7.50).

Gordon

Thank you again, is this something new with regards the reduction in ESA/ occupational pension?
We don't recall hearing anything about this? We don't recall being asked about occ. pension whilst filling out ESA 50. Would DWP not have this information from HRMC?
He was told there would be 2 officers visiting as one is new in the post...more reason to be suspicious? Or is my husbands paranoia rubbing off on me!

More
10 years 10 months ago #107567 by Gordon

Margaret wrote: Thank you again, is this something new with regards the reduction in ESA/ occupational pension?
We don't recall hearing anything about this? We don't recall being asked about occ. pension whilst filling out ESA 50. Would DWP not have this information from HRMC?
He was told there would be 2 officers visiting as one is new in the post...more reason to be suspicious? Or is my husbands paranoia rubbing off on me!

ESA has always included a Regulation in regard to pension income.

It is covered in section 9 of the ESA1, which is the ESA Claim form.

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/esa1-print.pdf

I would not read anything into the fact that there are two CO's coming, if one of them is being trained, then this would be what I would expect of any organisation.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.