× Members

Compliance Officer Visit?

More
10 years 10 months ago #107591 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Compliance Officer Visit?
Margaret, if your husband was on IB before ESA then his pension might be disregarded in total. If he is new to ESA then, as has been said, the first £85 is disregarded and ESA reduced by 50p for every extra £1 of pension above this.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 10 months ago #107593 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Compliance Officer Visit?

Margaret wrote:

Gordon wrote: Margaret

I amended my post after submitting it, but I was obviously not quick enough to catch your reply :(

Under normal circumstances there is an £85/week disregard for pensions when a claimant is receiving ESA(CB), pensions in excess of this will result in a £1 deduction for every £2 of pension, so if you husbands pension were £100/week then there would be a £7.50/week deduction (£100 - £85 = £15 / 2 - £7.50).

Gordon

Thank you again, is this something new with regards the reduction in ESA/ occupational pension?
We don't recall hearing anything about this? We don't recall being asked about occ. pension whilst filling out ESA 50. Would DWP not have this information from HRMC?
He was told there would be 2 officers visiting as one is new in the post...more reason to be suspicious? Or is my husbands paranoia rubbing off on me!

Customer Compliance Officers have been around long before ESA was introduced.

See This link found by typing in 'Customer Compliance Officer' in the search link at the top right hand side of the forum page.

Good luck

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 10 months ago #107594 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Compliance Officer Visit?
Hi Mrs HB,

As well as Incapacity Benefit (IB) this also applies to the predecessor of IB, Invalidity Benefit (IVB)

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #107607 by Mary
Replied by Mary on topic Compliance Officer Visit?

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: Margaret, if your husband was on IB before ESA then his pension might be disregarded in total. If he is new to ESA then, as has been said, the first £85 is disregarded and ESA reduced by 50p for every extra £1 of pension above this.

Thank you all for your help it is really appreciated.

My husband was not on IB benefit, he began claiming ESA in 2009. first placed in WRG but after reconsideration was placed in support group. I am not too concerned about his eligibility if this is indeed the motive behind the visit as he is clearly as disabled as he says.
I am however concerned about this pension business. We were until today unaware of this rule regarding occ pensions, though he has a copy of a letter he sent to them at the time of his retirement which says following his telephone conversation with them regarding his ill health retirement, please find enclosed a copy of his P45. He also has copies of letters sent to HMRC detailing his occ. pensions and amounts being paid. Copies of letters from HMRC confirming this and even saying they are in contact with DWP. He has at all times believed he was conforming to all requirements expected and is now in a state of acute anxiety to think that he may have made a mistake. He is stringent about record keeping and being totally honest regarding his condition.

I have really no idea what to suggest to him. He was going to ring DWP again this afternoon to try and find out if it is related to this. I advised against this in haste and the state he is in over it.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 9 months ago #107668 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
My advice would be ring them, as they will be able to confirm what Gordon, Bro, Mrs Hurtyback and I have stated.

With respect, it's no use burying your head in the sand, as it won't go away.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris