× Members

Fibromyalgia or go with Symptoms of it???

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #107971 by CLINE
Sorry to be greedy asking 2 questions as I know you are all really busy...
Any advice would be appreciated especially anyone who has had experience of it.
Was diagnosed 2 years ago At that time FMA was still pretty understated especially by
the DWP. My GP suggested that I didn't need to go with the diagnosis but just put on
the form all the symptoms and how they affect me.....
Has there been any change in the last 2 years????
Been on IB since 1994 and DLA for 4 years indefinately HRM and MRC before the diagnosis
so it didn't enter into it then??

Thank you
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected typo in subject.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #107979 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Fibromyalgia or go with Symtoms of it???
There is no need to apologise for asking questions, that is what we are here for :) However, it would be helpful for us if you would keep them all together in one place, rather than starting a new topic for each one.

Obviously it is up to you how you go about things. However, we have members who have successfully claimed ESA and DLA with fibromyalgia.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLINE

More
10 years 9 months ago #107989 by lindat
Replied by lindat on topic Fibromyalgia or go with Symtoms of it???
Hi there... I too have fms and also chronic myofaciel pain (cmp) Even less understood in this country than fms. I was transferred from IB (indefinite) in 2011to wrag without a medical, appealed...won..in support group. Reassessed may 2013 and staying in support group for another 36 months before reassessed again. Just got copy of the esa 85a (no medical again) and the hcp states I qualify for support group due to being severely disabled by fms. I sent 77 pages (including the esa50 ) of statements from family and gp and occupational therapists and a lot of info on Fms and Cmp to assist the hcp and dm. I told them what I Have then detailed all symptoms and how they affect me and how I meet the support group descriptors I qualify for support group under. I gave examples for every question.
Oh I also asked for a supersession of my dla award (hrm lrc since 2001) last year and was awarded hrm and hrc hrc indefinately. Did the same with that, educated them about the stupid illnesses I suffer with and followed all the wonderful guides on here. Good luck :)
Linda

• bro58
10 years 9 months ago #107994 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Fibromyalgia or go with Symtoms of it???
There may also be some helpful info on this website :

www.actionforme.org.uk/get-informed/welfare-benefits

bro58

More
10 years 9 months ago #107995 by killbot99
Replied by killbot99 on topic Fibromyalgia or go with Symtoms of it???
Hi

I got ESA and DLA I have fibro as my main problem although it is not my only one, fibro is a recognised syndrome or disorder by the world health organisation and the NHS and is recognised on the DWP list of health complaints.

However it is not enough to state you have it, you have to explain how it affects your life, the problems you experience with pain,fatigue, mobility issues, sleeplessness etc.

Some people can have an illness and it will not trouble them too much, others will be crippled by it so you have to be prepared to explain that on the form against each section. You may be affected by fibro in terms of sitting down, someone else may suffer from other aspects such as depression or anxiety.

You might be unlucky and find it affects most areas of your life, like me. So use the form to explain fully how it impacts on you and how it limits your life and what you are able to do. It's less about the illness and more about how it affects you individually I think.

More
10 years 9 months ago #108027 by CLINE
Replied by CLINE on topic Fibromyalgia or go with Symtoms of it???
Thank you so much for the reply Linda :) it is really reassuring to read of another sufferer who has managed to get the dwp to listen and acknowledge what we live with. Would it be ok if I asked you if you could let me know the type of info you sent them or the resourses for the info? I tend to bury my head and not get involved with the websites offering information as I find it terribly upsetting.However I will have to face facts when explanations are needed to be given on how it affects me.

Thank you also to madcatwoman for your post. It is good to hear that fma is now acknowledged and again gives me hope. I will take on board all the helpful hints from you both and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Bro good to see you are still here giving sound advice along with Jim who helped me a lot with my dla appeal :*)

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.