× Members

GP Refusing Letter of Support

• bro58
10 years 9 months ago #108287 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support

Evelyn wrote: Hi, I do not know if this is useful info for you.
I recently had a ESA50 renewal and returned the form later than the deadline but I wrote to inform ATOS of this and gave the reason for the delay.

I then found out that ATOS has sent the ESA113 form to my GP on the deadline date but not to the GP I was seeing as they did not have my form which would have informed them of my new GP.

When I asked my GP to write a letter of support, he refused in a nice way as well saying that is what they do now as it becomes too much if everyone asks for one. He also refused even if paid.

Because of this, the GP whom ATOS sent the ESA113 form completed the form and returned the form without much info (nothing bad just not much info) as she does not know me and ATOS called me for medical.

To cut a long story short, I managed to get other people to give me supporting letters and I was given SG without medical.

Hi E,

Although all worked out well for you, that is not always the case where an ESA50 is returned late.

The 4 week rule for return of the ESA50, by the deadline given is actual legislation, and not just guidance.

Late or non return of an ESA50 by deadline can result in your benefits ceasing, and you having to appeal to show "good cause" for late/none return.

This can be a very difficult situation to rectify, to gain reinstatement of benefit.

If necessary, it would always be better to return the ESA50 by deadline with a covering letter stating that you intend to forward further information to ATOS, ASAP.

As you state, it can be helpful, to gain letters of support from friends, relatives, carers, etc, who know how your limitations affect you on a daily basis.

These can be included with the ESA50.

bro58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #108292 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support
Yes Bro, you are right and I hope all who read this topic realizes that it was probably a fluke.. or maybe I was just lucky I had someone in a good mood that day as I have read all the negative results if ESA50 returned late.

• LifeIsAMess
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #108313 by LifeIsAMess
Replied by LifeIsAMess on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support

Hi LIAM,

I afraid that your G.P. is wrong, I recently read that up to December 2012 ATOS had only sent ESA113's to 27.8% of all claimant's G.P.'s.

I would still leave the request in to contact your G.P.

If they do not send an ESA113 to your G.P. and arrange a F2F, you should contact ATOS ASAP, and your G.P.

You can then call your G.P.'s bluff, and ask them to Fax ATOS with supporting evidence of why you cannot attend a F2F.

It may not come to that, ATOS may simply assess you on the paper evidence alone.

If you are going to use guaranteed next day delivery, ensure that you post it first thing in the morning.

bro58

Hi bro

I know she is wrong, I tried my best to explain to her what I knew and the amount of great info I've read online but she was having none of it. She was very nice about it though so I know if/when it comes down to it I'll have her support.

I will leave in the request to contact her as well as the details, thanks for that. And I'll also put in a written request to reception to contact me should one be sent to them. She did say she would let me know if one was and let me see it.

I think I will also put in that I went to my GP for a letter and she supports my claim but she is waiting on ATOS/DWP to get in touch with her as this is her practice policy? would that be a good idea?

I do wish our HCP's would listen to us! Don't they realise we are the ones worrying about this 24/7 and researching for hours on end??

Thursday morning it is!

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #108315 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support

LifeIsAMess wrote:

Hi LIAM,

I afraid that your G.P. is wrong, I recently read that up to December 2012 ATOS had only sent ESA113's to 27.8% of all claimant's G.P.'s.

I would still leave the request in to contact your G.P.

If they do not send an ESA113 to your G.P. and arrange a F2F, you should contact ATOS ASAP, and your G.P.

You can then call your G.P.'s bluff, and ask them to Fax ATOS with supporting evidence of why you cannot attend a F2F.

It may not come to that, ATOS may simply assess you on the paper evidence alone.

If you are going to use guaranteed next day delivery, ensure that you post it first thing in the morning.

bro58

Hi bro

I know she is wrong, I tried my best to explain to her what I knew and the amount of great info I've read online but she was having none of it. She was very nice about it though so I know if/when it comes down to it I'll have her support.

I will leave in the request to contact her as well as the details, thanks for that. And I'll also put in a written request to reception to contact me should one be sent to them. She did say she would let me know if one was and let me see it.

I think I will also put in that I went to my GP for a letter and she supports my claim but she is waiting on ATOS/DWP to get in touch with her as this is her practice policy? would that be a good idea?

I do wish our HCP's would listen to us! Don't they realise we are the ones worrying about this 24/7 and researching for hours on end??

Thursday morning it is!

Thanks

Hi LIAM,

"I think I will also put in that I went to my GP for a letter and she supports my claim but she is waiting on ATOS/DWP to get in touch with her as this is her practice policy? would that be a good idea?"

It will certainly do no harm, and it is letting ATOS know that you do have the support of your G.P. with this matter, if needed.

Please keep us updated.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by bro58. Reason: "no harm"

More
10 years 9 months ago #108317 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support
I too am worried about how the GP'S are now assessing the situation in regards to helping us.

Some still do do a letter of support albeit not including where and how we meet the support descriptors. as they seem to just think its ok to say 'I believe this person in not at present fit to undertake any work' or some such thing. Most are ambivalent to the whole process and many are so overworked they are disinclined to assist.

I have explained to my GP by email that if a 113 form does turn up to be completed from ATOS/DWP at the surgery I wish to be present to help complete it as satisfactorily as possible. I also have provided the GP Surgery practice with a copy of all medical reports over the last 3 years for them to use and I also suggested that I will email them a copy of the said ESA completed form if they wish to see what I have sent in if such a 113 form arrives to be completed.

I think perhaps this must be the way in future we must keep in contact with our GP's to see what is happening and compound our information in getting into the right ESA Group.

• LifeIsAMess
  • Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111280 by LifeIsAMess
Replied by LifeIsAMess on topic GP Refusing Letter of Support
Hi again all,

I have heard back from Atos, exactly 8 weeks after I sent my form back.

The letter states

"We have been asked by the Department for Work and Pensions to carry out an assessment in relation to your benefit claim"

Is this normal? Why did I send my form back to Atos in the first place if DWP were going to be making the decision or is this just normal procedure?

Anyway, they have completely ignored my request to contact my GP before arranging any appointment as she said she would be advising/insisting I don't attend due to mental health problems.

I still went ahead and filled in the part where it asks about specific days you can't attend. I asked for my appointment to be on a Thursday or Friday afternoon but they've ignored this too.

Who should I approach first, GP or Atos?

The letter also says I can contact my local benefit office to find out why they want an assessment done, should I do this?

I'm so anxious and worried about the unknown I just want to tell them where to shove it. I have a million other things going on and just can't cope with this now.

Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.