× Members

Appeal to the Upper Tribunal re ESA WRAG

• Freda
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113958 by Freda
Replied by Freda on topic Appeal to the Upper Tribunal re ESA WRAG
I intend to appeal to the Upper Tribunal re the First-tier Tribunal's refusal of my appeal against being placed in the WRAG, but 8 weeks later I still haven't received a statement of reasons from them. I can't proceed and lodge an appeal until that statement is issued, and in the meantime I guess that statistics wise I am classed as an 'appeal refused' case. This is so wrong. Anything I can do to speed the process along, anyone?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113960 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Appeal to the Upper Tribunal re ESA WRAG
Hi F,

I have merged your post with your previous topic for continuity.

The only action that I can advise is that you recontact the TS and remind them that you have requested the S of R.

I have read on other forums that appellants have had to wait some time before receiving their S of R from the TS.

I would not just ignore it though, and would continue to remind them, verbally and in writing.

If needs be you could make a complaint :

Complaining to the Tribunal Service

When writing to the TS, I would abide by the same guidelines as when : Sending Documents to the DWP or ATOS

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

• Freda
  • Topic Author
10 years 5 months ago #113966 by Freda
Thank you.

• Freda
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #116946 by Freda
Finally received the statement of reasons last week along with a CD of the recording of the tribunal. I had also asked for the record of proceedings from the tribunal (the tribunal's notes of what happened during the hearing) but this was not enclosed. I wrote again requesting the record of proceedings and I have now received pretty much the same as they sent me already, along with an extra couple of pages. One of these is entitled 'Record of Proceedings' which merely shows the dates, names etc relating to the proceedings and there is what looks like a stamp or something superimposed onto the document above the signature and highlighted in pink marker pen which states the following:-

"In accordance with Practice Statement Record of Proceedings in Social Security and Child support Cases in the Social Entitlement Chamber the presiding member, or in the case of a Tribunal composed of only one member that member, has determined that the record of proceedings shall be made by being digitally recorded."

The other extra page says that the recording was 'the medium in which the record of proceedings was preserved". I remember seeing the judge making written notes to all the questions he was asking me so I know that a written record of the proceedings was made. Is it legal for them to withhold this from me?
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #116948 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appeal to the Upper Tribunal re ESA WRAG
Freda

If you have a digital recording of the hearing then this is far more complete then any written Record of the Proceedings would be.

Given that the hearing was recorded with the express intention of providing a Record of Reasons Proceedings I think it likely that any notes that the judge were made in relation to the making of a Decision on your claim and therefore would have already been included in the Statement of Reasons.

In theory you could make a Subject Access Request for a copy of the notes, but I am unsure whether a Judge would be required to provide these and strongly doubt that they will provide any information that you are not already in possession of.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Freda
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #117329 by Freda
Hi Gordon are you quite sure about this? I've been looking at Disability Rights UK's advice on appealing to the Upper Tribunal and it says 'when you ask for the tribunal's full written statement of the reasons for its decision you should also ask for its 'record of proceedings', which is the note that the judge is under a duty to take about what happened during the hearing. It can help establish grounds for appeal. The Court and Tribunal Service should normally send it to you on request.'

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.