× Members

doctor wants £75 for medical report!?

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113977 by lavinia
Hello. Having got the IB to ESA transfer forms I phoned my doctors today to request a medical report and was shocked to be told it would be £75! Has anyone else heard of this amount to pay? Should I have asked for something else like a medical statement or something? I expected a charge but not that much! I am going to see him on Wednesday so have to decide what to do by then. Maybe it would be better to just let DWP request the information. Any advice would be gratefully received. Also, a number of my physical health issues began when I was prescribed anti depressants 20 years ago and have only been brought to light during the last 10 years..They are noe listed in the very rare section of possible side effects and I no longer take them, Should I include this information on my esa form? Thankyou for listening.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113980 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic doctor wants £75 for medical report!?
Hi Lavinia,

I am afraid that this type of letter is not classed as an NHS service so GPs are entitled to charge for them. Most surgeries set there charges based on those suggested by their professional body, so they tend to be similar.

DWP seldom contact the claimant's GP, so if you leave it up to them you run the very real risk of not having any medical evidence in support of your claim.

If the health problems associated with your medication are ongoing to the current day, then you should include information about this in your claim.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: lavinia

More
10 years 5 months ago #113986 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic doctor wants £75 for medical report!?
lavinia

Just to add to Mrs H's comments.

If you decide to go ahead with the report then make sure that it is in a format that is supportive to your claim, we often hear of these reports being of little value to the claimant, because they only deal in generalities.

So whilst you should not be seen as putting words in your GP's mouth, so to speak, you should ask they the report is written in the context of the ESA Descriptors.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, lavinia

More
10 years 5 months ago #114001 by lavinia
Replied by lavinia on topic doctor wants £75 for medical report!?
Thanyou for your replies Gordon and Mrs H. I think I am just going to request a medical statement which I believe is much cheaper. I just can't afford to risk losing £75 right now. The guides on this site are an enormous help. Would have been lost without them. Blessings to you all. :)

More
10 years 5 months ago #114003 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic doctor wants £75 for medical report!?

lavinia wrote: Thanyou for your replies Gordon and Mrs H. I think I am just going to request a medical statement which I believe is much cheaper. I just can't afford to risk losing £75 right now. The guides on this site are an enormous help. Would have been lost without them. Blessings to you all. :)

You can also get a copy of your medical records.

Requesting your medical records

Charging for medical records

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
10 years 5 months ago #114008 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic doctor wants £75 for medical report!?
Lavinia, I suggest that you check with your surgery before requesting a 'report' as you might find that they do not differ in how much they will charge for each!

The following user(s) said Thank You: lavinia

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.