× Members

Esa Appeal

• Daisydream
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119669 by Daisydream
Replied by Daisydream on topic Esa Appeal
I have received my statement of reasons, can you please confirm if the following points can be classed as an error in law:

1. The Dr has stated on three separate points that there was not any medical evidence supplied supporting the conditions that I suffer with. This is a totally incorrect statment, the evidence was supplied but they have blatantly been disregarded.

2. In two points listed regarding my medical condition they have referred to me as a Mrs Hxxxxx - this is not my name, they have obviously got me mixed up with somebody else.

3. 2 pages of the tribunal pack were missing from my bundle - I contacted the Courts to enquire as to why I had a gap in my bundle, why had they been numbered and left out. I was told I did not need them, if they had been numbered by the Courts surely they must be relevant.

4. The Dr stated at the hearing that medical evidence i.e. a letter in my medical records supplied from a Neurologist, that certain paragraphs had been blanked out completely and he could not read them.

My copies and my Solicitors copies received from the Courts had not been blanked out. So why for some reason his copies should differ from mine? They should be identical. That paragraph the Dr claims was blanked out had very relevant information regarding the condition I suffer with.

Regarding the Record of the Court Proceedings, firstly on 4 separate sheets it has somebody else's
name and tribunal reference number and a difference date typed on them, the Courts have simply scribbled through and inserted in pen my name, hearing date and ref no. But I can clearly see who this document was originally written for. Their name, hearing date and tribunal reference number can still be seen.

There also are a few discrepencies regarding the Record of Proceedings, the Dr stated quite a few important things in the hearing but for some reason have not been recorded on paper.
Do I need any special forms that I need to use to appeal for permission to the Upper Tribunal or do I just send it in a form of a letter? Your advise would be very much appeciated as I am at a loss with what to do next.

Thank you.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119672 by
Replied by on topic Esa Appeal

Daisydream wrote: I have received my statement of reasons, can you please confirm if the following points can be classed as an error in law:

1. The Dr has stated on three separate points that there was not any medical evidence supplied supporting the conditions that I suffer with. This is a totally incorrect statment, the evidence was supplied but they have blatantly been disregarded.

2. In two points listed regarding my medical condition they have referred to me as a Mrs Hxxxxx - this is not my name, they have obviously got me mixed up with somebody else.

3. 2 pages of the tribunal pack were missing from my bundle - I contacted the Courts to enquire as to why I had a gap in my bundle, why had they been numbered and left out. I was told I did not need them, if they had been numbered by the Courts surely they must be relevant.

4. The Dr stated at the hearing that medical evidence i.e. a letter in my medical records supplied from a Neurologist, that certain paragraphs had been blanked out completely and he could not read them.

My copies and my Solicitors copies received from the Courts had not been blanked out. So why for some reason his copies should differ from mine? They should be identical. That paragraph the Dr claims was blanked out had very relevant information regarding the condition I suffer with.

Regarding the Record of the Court Proceedings, firstly on 4 separate sheets it has somebody else's
name and tribunal reference number and a difference date typed on them, the Courts have simply scribbled through and inserted in pen my name, hearing date and ref no. But I can clearly see who this document was originally written for. Their name, hearing date and tribunal reference number can still be seen.

There also are a few discrepencies regarding the Record of Proceedings, the Dr stated quite a few important things in the hearing but for some reason have not been recorded on paper.
Do I need any special forms that I need to use to appeal for permission to the Upper Tribunal or do I just send it in a form of a letter? Your advise would be very much appeciated as I am at a loss with what to do next.

Thank you.

Hi Dd,

Your first step is to write to The FTT, asking for permission to appeal to The UTT as you feel that there has been an error in law.

This must arrive at The FTT no later than one month after the date of the Statement of Reasons (RofP)

Send by recorded delivery, keep copies of everything.

I am not legally qualified, but it seems from what you have written that there may well have been an error in law :

Errors of Law can include the following :

Insufficient findings of fact, failure to explain why they have disregarded any evidence favourable to the appellant, failure to explain why they’ve relied on any material evidence against the appellant, particularly where that evidence was put at issue by the appellant, complete mishandling of relevant evidence or applying the law incorrectly, etc.

All that you can do, if you are to do this yourself, is lay down what you consider to be any errors in law, much as you have done in your post here.

If the FTT refuse leave to appeal to The UTT, (which is quite common) you can request permission directly from The UTT.

You will be informed of the process for this as things progress.

There is more information on appealing to The UTT, below :

Appealing to The Upper Tier, DR UK Factsheet

bro58

• Daisydream
  • Topic Author
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119677 by Daisydream
Hi Bro58

Many thanks for your prompt reply it is very much appreciated. I will start tomorrow and set the wheels in motion. I willl keep you informed of any developments. Thank you.

10 years 1 month ago #119678 by
Replied by on topic Esa Appeal

Daisydream wrote: Hi Bro58

Many thanks for your prompt reply it is very much appreciated. I will start tomorrow and set the wheels in motion. I willl keep you informed of any developments. Thank you.

Hi Dd,

As you may have noted from the Factsheet, Legal Aid is still available for appeals to The UTT.

Good luck, and please do keep us up to speed on how things are progressing.

bro58

• Daisydream
  • Topic Author
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #120684 by Daisydream
Hi Bro58

Just to keep you updated, I have today received a reply and the District Judge has decided that a new tribunal should hear the appeal. The decision does not need to be considered by the Upper Tribunal. The tribunal's original decision will be cancelled. On the Decision Notice it states - It is appropriate to review the decision because the reference to "refuse. No Sch 3. No reg 35" as the first entry on the receord of proceeding in the absence of explanation suggests that the tribunal had made it's mind up before taking any evidence. This is an error of law. I have not considered any of the other grounds of appeal. The decision is set aside. The appeal is to be relisted as an oral before a freshly constituted tribunal.

Do you have any suggestions of what I need to plan for regarding this new appeal? as I feel so confused with the whole process that I really dont know what to do next.

Also my ESA CB entitlement stopped after I lost the tribunal in february, what is the procedure now that the original tribunal decision has been cancelled, do they have to reinstate my payments until the new tribunal?

Yesterday I received a letter from DWP regarding my DLA which I am at the moment receiving the Higher Mobility Rate for. I have been told that because my circumstances have changed I am assuming they are referring to my tribunal in february that I now have to reclaim under the new scheme PIP.

I was told by letter in early February this year that I would not be re-assessed for PIP until 2015 and I have also been on their website yesterday to recheck this on the pip-checker and it confirms that I will not be called for re-assessing until 2015. Should I phone the DWP and explain the situation regarding the original tribunal being cancelled.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #120691 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa Appeal
Daisydream

This new hearing is a re-hearing of your original appeal, so you need to concentrate on showing why you meet the criteria for the Support Group. In addition, I would go through the Statement of Reasons from the original hearing to see which areas you failed to convince them on and why, this could be down to the way that you presented your case, misunderstandings of what was being said or a lack of clarification in your evidence. You are entitled to submit more evidence and a further submission to this new hearing if you wish and this may be a good way of addressing the previous issues.

I am afraid that your ESA(CB) being stopped is independent of the tribunal process, it will only be re-instated if this new hearing places you in the SG.

In regard your DLA, unfortunately I can't trace your previous posts back so forgive me, when you say your Tribunal in February are you referring to the ESA one?

This being the case, your ESA Tribunal should not effect your DLA. The original Decision to place you in the WRAG might, but not the Tribunal and as the original Decision is now more than a year old they cannot use it. Have you reported a Change of Circumstances for your DLA? On the assumption that you have not I recommend that you should contact the DLA/PIP unit and ask what Change of Circumstances as you have not reported one.

An invitation to claim PIP is tricky, because unless it is formally withdrawn in writing you are committed to going through the process. Also, there are finite timescales for you to start the process as you must make the initial claim within four weeks of the letter inviting you to do so.

We would expect DLA claimants with an indefinite award to be assessed from October 2015, however, reporting a CofC can result in an early invitation to claim PIP, so it is really important to find out what is going on with this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.