× Members

ESA

• Stubsy2107
  • Topic Author
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #114371 by Stubsy2107
ESA was created by Stubsy2107
Hi
I have just joined this group as I am completely confused about everything to do with ESA despite having ESA before.

I was receiving ESA in 2011/2012 and then started work in April 2012. I suffer with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and epilepsy.

I started to feel a bit better so started employment in April 2012. However, this wasn't very successful and from February 2013 to August 2013 I was on sick leave receiving SSP from my employer.

I have tried to work but it seems impossible. When I do try then it takes me days to recover from trying to do a task. I am in constant pain, have an erratic sleep pattern. I'm either awake for days at a time even though I desperately want to sleep or I sleep for days on end.

I have very poor concentration and even worse memory impairment. My limbs, joints and muscles constantly ache, pain and spasm. On a bad day I can't even get out of bed without help. My social life is virtually nil. I try to do things but the smallest things exhaust me. I took on a part-time job as a Christmas temp (I think I was trying to prove something to myself).

Sad to say that I have already been too ill to go to work. It's obvious to people that I am struggling and I do get to the point where I just can't do anything except go to bed and cry.

I have been to my GP today as I had a fit at weekend but can't remember anything at all about the rest of the night. It's a terrible feeling when you just can't remember. So I have to go back to the neurologist and also been referred for a MRI scan. I am weepy, in pain and feel I have no normal life.

I was reading through your guides and the first thing that concerned me was am I even entitled to ESA. I know they automatically stop it after 12 months. I was on it from 2011 and it ended in 2012 and then I was in employment from April 2012 to August 2013.

How can I find out if I'm entitled to contribution based ESA? I really would welcome any advice
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mrjohnno
10 years 3 months ago #114374 by mrjohnno
Replied by mrjohnno on topic ESA
Make yourself a cup of tea and get comfortable. The people on this site will guide you through the process.

• jessica.p
10 years 3 months ago #114375 by jessica.p
Replied by jessica.p on topic ESA
Hi Stubsy,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you've had a really tough time and I'm sorry to hear that.

For contributions based ESA you need to have paid a certain amount of national insurance contributions; the rules are:

If you are over 20 years of age you must have made the following level of National Insurance Contributions:
•in one of the previous three tax years, have paid some Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 25 times the lower earnings limit; and
•in each of the two previous complete tax years, have paid or been credited with, contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.

To see the lower earnings limits for each year see: www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/nic.htm

To find out whether you have paid enough National Insurance Contributions to claim contributory Employment and Support Allowance you should phone the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 055 6688 (or 0800 023 4888 if you have a speech or hearing impairment).

After the first twelve months of contributions based you may be entitled to income related ESA depending on your circumstance and household income.

I hope that has helped you get you started.

Jess

• mrjohnno
10 years 3 months ago #114376 by mrjohnno
Even if you are not entitled to contribution based ESA you can still apply for income based ESA which I am in the process of doing now. All is not lost dear member.

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #114377 by
Replied by on topic ESA
Hi S,

Just to add to jp's advice,

Up to the 5th January 2014 the relevant tax years for entitlement to CB ESA are 10/11 and 11/12.

During both tax years, you must have been paid or credited with a stamp for at least 50 weeks.

During one tax year, you must have paid, via employment, 26 weeks worth of stamps.

The easiest way to see whether you are entitled to CB ESA or IR ESA is to make a fresh claim, information on this can be found here :

www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/how-to-claim

Of course, you will also need a current fit note from your G.P.

bro58

• mrjohnno
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #114378 by mrjohnno
But if the member is not eligible for CB ESA then they will almost certainly be eligible for IR ESA? IR ESA is the safety net so push comes to shove the member has that.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.