× Members

Holiday

More
10 years 1 month ago #119421 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Holiday
I totally agree with Gordon. There is a world of difference between allowed to continue claiming whilst on holiday and being required to notify DWP of such an absence.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bica
The topic has been locked.
  • Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119423 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Holiday
The rule about letting the DWP know where you are started for the old Incapacity Benefit, where a claimant was obliged to let the DWP where they could be found even if they were only away from home for day. This still applies to those still on IB or ESA.

However, to the best of my knowledge it doesn't include Industrial Injuries Benefit (IIB) nor
for benefits paid for disability including DLA/PIP or AA.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected typo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, Bica
More
10 years 1 month ago #119425 by DaPa
Replied by DaPa on topic Holiday

Bica wrote: I have checked the PIP tool kit and it says the following

A temporary absence abroad for up to 13 weeks may be allowed, or up to
26 weeks if the absence is specifically for medical treatment. The claimant
should notify DWP if they are planning to go abroad for four weeks or
more

Surely it's in black and red (in this case), four weeks or more is when you should notify the DWP.

There is no mention of just a day or three.

WD
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119427 by Bica
Replied by Bica on topic Holiday
I agree with you ;)

Why can't they just say (DWP) "If you leave the country for more than 1 day then you
should inform your relevant claim office"
That way we would all be in the same picture.

Sorry that this has gone on and on but some things need clarifying.

Bica
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
  • Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119428 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Holiday
From my experience you are right.

I have MS and chronic respiratory disease amongst other things, so I cannot plan ahead for holidays, we just have to do it on the spur of the moment. My wife has ME, Lupus and arthritis and we both receive DLA.

We tend to take short breaks for 3-5 days fairly close to home. When I asked the DWP if we needed to inform them when we took short breaks, they advised me that it wasn't necessary to inform them.

We are both pensioners and the only benefits we receive are DLA and State Pension. Not sure if being on any means-tested benefit has different rules about leaving home for short periods, but for DLA & SP, it's not necessary.

There are rules for DLA on letting the DWP know if you're in hospital, even for just a day.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bica
More
10 years 1 month ago #119430 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Holiday

Bica wrote: I agree with you ;)

Why can't they just say (DWP) "If you leave the country for more than 1 day then you
should inform your relevant claim office"
That way we would all be in the same picture.

Sorry that this has gone on and on but some things need clarifying.

Bica

Please see

www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness...-disability-benefits

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.