× Members

Holiday

More
10 years 1 month ago #119432 by DaPa
Replied by DaPa on topic Holiday
This is an extract from the link posted above:

'Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
There are 2 types of ESA - income-related or contribution-based.

You can get both of these for 4 weeks if you go abroad.

Talk to your local Jobcentre Plus before you go.

Going abroad for more than 4 weeks but less than a year

Tell your local Jobcentre Plus if you’re going abroad for more than 4 weeks.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bica
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 1 month ago #119439 by Bica
Replied by Bica on topic Holiday
Thanks WD I agree
Sorry to say but I have been through quite a few different "Links" and I still say you only have to contact them if you go for more than 4 weeks.
BUT... I will contact DWP tomorrow to get this verified, and maybe put this topic to bed.
More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #119440 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Holiday
Guys

I think we are going round the houses with this one, so I'm locking this thread

It is our recommendation that you contact the DWP before you leave the country whilst in receipt of benefits.

What might happen if you do not; in the vast majority of cases; absolutely nothing, however, if circumstances conspire, your benefit could be sanctioned or suspended, or your claim could be closed.

Gordon

This message contains confidential information

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Added information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bica
More
10 years 1 month ago #119488 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Holiday
Guys

Looking back over this topic I don't think we have explained ourselves in sufficient detail.

Whilst this about what a claimant is legally required to do, it is also about what can happen if the DWP do not know you have gone away and this extends to holidays in the UK as well as abroad.

So what can happen in the two weeks that you are away.

The DWP could request information from you, they normally allow two weeks for a response, if they do not get one they may suspend payments.

You may receive a re-assessment form, whilst most allow four weeks, or sometimes longer, for completion and return, you may be compromising your ability to respond in detail and provide up to date evidence.

You may receive an appointment for a WFI or Work Related Activity, the DWP are only required to give 7 days notice which includes any time spent in the post. Failing to attend a WFI or participate in WRA can result in your benefit being sanctioned.

You may receive an appointment for an assessment. The assessing agencies are only required to give 7 days notice which includes postage. Failing to attend an assessment can result in your claim being closed.

There are probably others.

These problems should be avoidable if the DWP are aware that you will be away from home for an extended period and whilst most of these should be sortable, after the event, there is no guarantee of success and any censure of your benefit will continue until the matter is resolved.

I hope this explains it better.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Puccalove
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.