× Members

2 Year Wait!

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122307 by Hunster
2 Year Wait! was created by Hunster
I received a letter from Atos to attend a medical at my local jobcentre this coming July, but as I hadn't filled in any application forms in some time I wasn't sure why this was. So I rang the help line and it turns out the medical is regarding a form I sent for ESA in October 2012! I said to the (surprisingly helpful) telephone operator a lot has changed since then, I've lost the sight in one eye, they now think I have MS amongst other things so nearly nothing on that form will be accurate - not even my address. She said it was up to me take as many medical reports as I can get my hands on (obviously at my expense) to take with me to the medical. This is going on at the same time I am trying to find a way of getting carers allowance for my Mum who looks after me (I've mentioned this is another post). Is there anything else I can do as I worry they will have all this information and such from 2012 and nothing will be up to date. Is there anything else I should be doing or should be aware of?

A quick history of my benefits: I was on IB, transferred to contribution based ESA, changed to income based ESA, suspended while I was at uni due to income, and reinstated when I left uni due to medical reasons. The form appears to be when they were assessing my suitability to be transferred from contribution based to income based, but that is only a guess.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by . Reason: Tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122315 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 2 Year Wait!
Natt

There are more problems to this than meet the eye.

The ESA Descriptors and Regulations were updated in January 2013, normally an ESA50 completed before the change would be assessed using the "old" rules, but there was a cut off period for this to happen within and you are way past this, so although you completed it using the "old rules", you will be assessed under the "new ones".

Obviously you should gather what evidence you can in regard your current health, but I would recommend that you also fill in a new ESA50 using our current Claim guides. You can download an ESA50 from the GovUK site, see the following.

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

and

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa

As soon as possible send a copy of the information to the ATOS where you are to be assessed. I would send a copy of all the information to the DWP office dealing with your claim and take a full copy to the assessment and ask the assessor to read it before proceeding, they are required to do this under section 3.1.2. of the WCA Handbook.

If you feel that you would struggle to complete a new ESA50 before the appointment, then I would contact the DWP and ask them to have the interview deferred until a new ESA50 can be completed, you can use the time since the original one was completed, the new diagnosis's and the change in the law as Good Cause. You will need them to contact ATOS. You may need to escalate this to a manager, which normally requires a call back.

If they refuse, then you should make an immediate complaint

Complaining to the DWP

and contact your MP

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago #122344 by Hunster
Replied by Hunster on topic 2 Year Wait!
Thank you for your response it makes for very interesting reading. I have been filling in the ESA50 while the forums have been closed and must say those tick boxes are of no use to me and have had to write please see attached it nearly every box! I did ask the lady from ATOS on the phone whether I should fill in a new form and she said “no they would have sent you a new one it they felt that was necessary”. Having looked at the form I think it is extremely necessary! I have most of the medical evidence I can afford to gather, I’m waiting on some other things but I’m not sure if I can get it in time. Just to note, I received the appointment letter on Saturday (14th June) for an appointment on July 9th.

So is my best course of action to complete the ESA50 and send a copy of it along with all my medical evidence to ATOS and the DWP with a cover letter explaining the situation?

More
9 years 10 months ago #122350 by Gordon
Natt

The ATOS assessor and the DWP Decision Maker cannot take account of your change in condition if they are not aware of it in detail, there will not be time and possibly the opportunity to explain how you now are in the face to face assessment so it is essential that information of the changes are available before the interview occurs.

So yes, you should send the new form to ATOS and the DWP and take a copy to the assessment.

If you are unable to complete the form before the appointment then you have two choices, persuade the DWP to have the appointment deferred, the advantages to this are that it will not count against you and there will be evidence that the DWP accepted your concerns in regard to the length of time since the original ESA50 was submitted. The downside is that the chances of success are low, but I still thin it is worth doing.

The second option, which you may have to take in the end, is to re-arrange the appointment, providing that this is your first appointment with ATOS you can do with no fault to you, but you need to be aware that you will not be able to move or re--arrange any second appointment without placing your claim in jeopardy.

You are already at a disadvantage due to the delay in arranging an appointment, so we are trying to achieve to things; make sure you get the right Decision at the outset, but if you do not, position yourself for a quick and easy appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago #122355 by Hunster
Replied by Hunster on topic 2 Year Wait!
Sorry to seem slow, I just want to make sure I fully understand.

The very first thing I should do (as in today?) is ring ATOS? Tell them again since it's been such a long time since the last form was sent a lot has happened and I will be sending a new up to date form?

Or... Do I just get on, send the form to ATOS and DWP (could you point me in the direction of the addresses please) and hope they get it in time? Obviously you're 100% correct in that how can they make the right decision if they do not have the right information in from of them.

I've not cancelled or rearranged any appointments before or anything like that so I have that to my advantage. I am right in thinking you are saying I should have them think it's their idea to rearrange not mine, so as not to look badly on me, but that's unlikely, so I'd have to request the rearrangement, should I run out of time?

Again apologies for having so many questions, I'm just fearful of doing or saying the wrong thing.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122357 by Gordon
Natt

Your first call should be to the DWP, ask to speak to a manager, this will require call back which probably won't now happen until Monday. You need to explain that due to the considerable delay (two years) the ESA50 you completed is no longer reflective of your current health problems, you are completing a new form and collecting evidence but you will be unable to do this by the date of the appointment, so you want them to contact ATOS and defer the appointment. Their failing to do this will place you at a considerable disadvantage as it will not be possible to explain the changes during the limited time that the interview will allow, this would be discriminatory, make sure you take note of the name of the person you are talking to and the date and time of the call.

In parallel, work on the new form and evidence and send it to ATOS and the DWP with a letter explaining why you have done this.

If the DWP do not agree to move the appointment at no fault to you, then you will have to contact ATOS and do so your self, you are only allowed two appointments so your doing this will count as your first appointment. This means that you cannot move the second one and must attend or ATOS will return your file to the DWP who may then close your claim for failing to attend.

Also, if the DWP do refuse to move the appointment then I would make a formal complaint to them and contact your MP about the matter, using the links post previously.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hunster

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.