× Members

2 Year Wait!

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122519 by Hunster
Replied by Hunster on topic 2 Year Wait!
So I phoned the DWP and after some convincing I got the call handler to ask someone to call me back. It was about 10 minutes later, it was a team leader, her name was Jessica, she wouldn't give me her last name, but she said she is the only Jessica at that particular call centre and gave me it's name. She then went on to tell me the following surprising statements:

- ATOS make the decisions not the DWP
- The ESA50 is irrelevant it's all based on the medical
- There's no point in having them send me new ESA50 and it's up to me if I fill out one or not
- They have no power to change the appointments I'd have to do it.
- The doctor who assesses me will have a copy of the ESA50, but she felt it wouldn't matter or prejudice him in any way.

She said a couple of other things but I was just so astounded, mainly by the fact the apparently the DWP make no decisions, even when I challenged her that all the medica coverage around ATOS and such says otherwise, that it was up to DWP she conceeded, well I suppose we type the letters. I've nearly completed my new ESA50 whether it will get to relevant parties in time I don't know, but I've done what I can on my end. My DLA434 finally arrived yesterday too so I'm making sure everything syncs up.

As I say I have her name and call centre, and I have my paperwork, I looked into writing to my MP via the link you provided but it seems my MP isn't the closest ally of disabled people. Is there anything else I should/could be doing.
Thanks again.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #122523 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 2 Year Wait!
Natt

We are used to the Call Centre staff giving misleading information, but I really expected better of a supervisor.

- ATOS do not make the Decisions, the DWP do!
- The ESA50 is an important piece of evidence used by the ATOS assessor and the DWP Decision Maker, it's not all based on the medical, if it were there would be no point for a site like B&W!
- How can a two year old ESA50 which does not reflect your current health conditions not be expected to influence the assessor?

There is so much wrong with what you have been told that I would be tempted to make a complaint to the DWP over the call.

Getting the DWP to move the ATOS appointment was always a long shot, but still worth doing, your choice now is to stick with the current appointment and rush to complete the ESA50 or move the appointment to let you complete the ESA50 but then have to attend however good or bad you feel. Either way, don't forget to send a copy to the DWP as well as ATOS and make sure the assessor reads/has read the new ESA50 before continuing with the interview.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago #122534 by Hunster
I was quite amazed too I must say. I made sure to to note the date and time as I know they record the calls so they must be able to have access to it if need be. I think a complaint might be a good idea as I don't know much but I know enough not to trust what she was saying. I have no idea how she got to be a team leader!

I don't really want to risk moving the appointment for a non-medical reason, because I could have an "unplanned medical incident" (as I like to call them) on my way to the second appointment and them I'm stuck. I'm hoping to have the form in the post tomorrow (I'm just waiting on the medical evidence from the hospital). I can take a spare copy for the doctor, not ideal I know, but I will have done my part and sent it, how long do you think it'll take them to receive it?

More
9 years 10 months ago #122537 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic 2 Year Wait!
Natt

Unfortunately we don't have any real visibility of how ATOS receive and process an ESA50 through to the assessor, I think it will take at least a couple of days and could easily be a week. The ideal result is that on receipt of the ESA50 they do another consideration of your claim and revise the need for you to have a appointment in the first place, but with ATOS in such a mess at the moment this may not happen in time for you to avoid having to attend.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122540 by Hunster
In that case I'll just crack on get the form complete, chase the secretaries for the evidence I'd like and drop it in the post. I'll ring ATOS and tell them what I've done and maybe they'll keep a lookout, or you never know maybe they'll decide to delay the medical and see sense!

Thank you for all your help and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #122542 by
Replied by on topic 2 Year Wait!

Natt wrote: In that case I'll just crack on get the form complete, chase the secretaries for the evidence I'd like and drop it in the post. I'll ring ATOS and tell them what I've done and maybe they'll keep a lookout, or you never know maybe they'll decide to delay the medical and see sense!

Thank you for all your help and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi N,

If this is your first appointment for an ATOS "medical" and you wish to re-arrange it for a later date to give you more time, you would have to make a formal request for the re-arrangement.

I would keep all correspondence with ATOS in writing via e-mail, so that you have a paper trail.

Contact ATOS : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Or you can contact them via : "WCA Customer Services" on their web page (on the right) :

www.atoshealthcare.com/claimants

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by .

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.