× Members

SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127211 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome
Mari

I know you have sent your letters by Recorded Delivery so you have confirmation that they were received but have you tried contacting the DWP by phone, or if you are unable to do so, had someone act on your behalf?

The following page covers the process in more detail and explains your options

ico.org.uk/for-the-public/

I'm not sure whether Legal Aid would be an issue as I think the majority of this type of case would go through a Small Claims Court, but if it is then it will depend on whether it is available for this type of action and if it is, then your financial situation will be considered.

DWP Data Retention Policy is 13 months, but it is not unusual for documents to be retained for longer than this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127212 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome

MariW wrote: It’s now 57 calendar days since I submitted a clearly written Subject Access Request to my DWP Benefits Office. It was received next day. My SAR followed my being placed in the Support Group of ESA for the legal maximum of 3 years. I did not receive the documents requested within the statutory 40 calendar days from receipt.

On day 45, when I still hadn’t received my documents, I wrote a polite letter reminding the DWP of its legal obligation to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998. I included complies of the SAR, proof of posting, and proof of delivery. I suggested 14 calendar days for them to expedite my SAR and briefly made mention of my contacting the ICO in the event of ongoing non-compliance with a legal obligation. The DWP received this 10 calendar days ago. There’s still hope, I suppose, but it’s looking as though I shall have to contact the ICO after the Christmas break. I have two concerns:

1. Retention of data to which I am legally entitled.
2. Possible loss of sensitive data.

Hence, two questions:

1. How effective is the ICO in dealing with the DWP?
2. Is there another way forward? The DWP are in breach of the DPA 1998. Would I be entitled to legal aid to take action against them?

Mari W

Hi MW,

As the DWP's failure to provide you with the personal information that you have requested would be a flagrant breech of DPA 1998, and The ICO is the National Governing Body covering this, I would be really surprised if The DWP continued with their failure to comply once The ICO were involved.

The ICO does have the power to issue "Notices" to an offending body/organisation, then the offending body/organisation can appeal this "Notice" to : The Information Tribunal if necessary.

See also : Information rights/General Regulatory Chamber.

I really cannot see this getting that far.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 3 months ago #127217 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome
Gordon and Bro58,

Thank you for your input.

I don’t want to contact the DWP by phone about this issue. Both my carer and I had a difficult time in the excessively long spell between the Atos recommendation and the DM’s conclusion. The first-liners seldom have a clue and call-backs result in non-committal answers. Moreover, a phone call could result in confusing a situation that must be kept as clear-cut as possible if I’m to pursue it to the bitter end. I’ll have given the DWP every opportunity to comply with the law by the time I contact the ICO.

I’m probably entitled to legal aid but I’d be prepared to query the cost of a solicitor’s letter if the ICO fails to conclude the matter satisfactorily. I trust they will live up to their reputation!

Thanks again,

Mari

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127352 by MariW
Replied by MariW on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome
After a 61-day wait, I have received a response to the Subject Access Request submitted after I was placed in the ESA Support Group for three years.

The information is sketchy despite everything I requested being included. The HCP appears to have made her recommendation on the mobilisation question alone. Comments include reference to both upper and lower limb disability. It was fairly obvious I met the Schedule 3 descriptor. There are no remarks about other major functional limitations such as manual skills. Somehow I don’t think my ESA 50 was read beyond the mobilisation question.

So pleased I don’t have chase this up further.

Thanks to Bro58 and Gordon for their advice. :)

Mari

More
9 years 3 months ago #127355 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome
Mari

Glad it finally sorted out, as entry to the SG only (that's a tremendous simplification :) ) requires the claimant to meet one of the SG Descriptors, as soon as one is met the assessor needs to go no further with their report, so we often see entry to the SG being based on the first couple of Descriptors, it doesn't mean that you don't meet others, just that they were not needed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #127357 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic SDA-ESA: Successful Outcome

MariW wrote: After a 61-day wait, I have received a response to the Subject Access Request submitted after I was placed in the ESA Support Group for three years.

The information is sketchy despite everything I requested being included. The HCP appears to have made her recommendation on the mobilisation question alone. Comments include reference to both upper and lower limb disability. It was fairly obvious I met the Schedule 3 descriptor. There are no remarks about other major functional limitations such as manual skills. Somehow I don’t think my ESA 50 was read beyond the mobilisation question.

So pleased I don’t have chase this up further.

Thanks to Bro58 and Gordon for their advice. :)

Mari

I am glad that you have finally received the information requested !! :)

Yes, unfortunately, once it has been decided that you have fulfilled at least one of :

The SG (LCWRA)Schedule 3 Descriptors , which in your case was Activity/Descriptor 1., they tend to stop assessing.

This does not mean that you did not qualify on any of the other descriptors, and should therefore give details of all your limitations when the time comes for your reassessment.

At least you now know how and why you qualified which should be of help in the future.

Wishing you all the best for Xmas & New Year !!! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.