× Members

Severe Disablement Allowance to Employment Support

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128296 by 43djbrooks
ok thanks for the replies Gordon and Bro

so if she is placed on contribution based esa that is for 1 year so how do they deal with her being placed on income related ESA?
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #128297 by MariW
Hello 43d,

I hope I can help relieve some of the anxiety you and your wife are experiencing. I was transferred from SDA/Income Support to ESA last summer. You can read all about it here:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=101554

My disability is multiple but, like your wife, I have a visual limitation that inevitably contributes to mobility problems and other issues. Like your wife, I was not called to a face-to-face assessment. I was placed in the Support Group for the maximum term of three years.

Not long after I dispatched my EESA 50 that I learned Atos had returned my file to the DWP. When I look back on my email communication with Atos during the time I was waiting for the DM’s conclusion it’s fairly clear what the HCP’s recommendation was. I’d hazard a guess that if you were to email Atos [custrelations(at)atoshealthcare.com] and ask for the recommended prognosis they would probably tell you.

Mari :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 43djbrooks

More
9 years 4 months ago #128300 by Gordon

43djbrooks wrote: ok thanks for the replies Gordon and Bro

so if she is placed on contribution based esa that is for 1 year so how do they deal with her being placed on income related ESA?

If she is placed in the WRAG, there is no restriction to the payment of ESA(CB) if she is in the Support Group, then after the year you need to be financially assessed as a couple for Income Related ESA. Eligibility for ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: 43djbrooks

• bro58
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #128304 by bro58

43djbrooks wrote: ok thanks for the replies Gordon and Bro

Hi 43djb,

If your wife is placed into The WRAG of ESA, she will only receive CB ESA for 365 days.

After the 365 days have been exhausted, she should be financially assessed to see whether she can pass the means test for payment of IR ESA with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by her partner. (You)

With respect to capital, assets and savings, see the following

Capital, assets and savings of less than £6000 should not effect your entitlement to payment of IR ESA.

Capital, assets and savings over £6000 will result in a £1/week deduction for every £250 in excess.

Capital, assets and savings in excess of £16,000 will remove any eligibility for payment of IR ESA.

As confirmed here :

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

See also : 24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

This would generally involve having to fill in an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form :

Sample ESA 3 Form

If/when the time comes, you may have to request The ESA 3 from The DWP.

If your wife is already receiving Income Support (IS) top-ups, (Or you are in receipt of IS) then when transferred to ESA, she should automatically be paid CB ESA with IR ESA top-ups.

If any part of her ESA payment are IR ESA, no matter which "group" of ESA (WRAG or SG) she is placed into, there is no time limit to how long she will receive payment.

Further, if she is placed into The Support Group (SG) even if CB ESA only is in payment, again, there is no time limit for as long as she remains in The SG.

See : 12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by bro58.

More
9 years 4 months ago #128312 by 43djbrooks
thanks everyone for the information and I saw your thread ManW it has helped a lot, did you still get paid till they transferred you over?

Also how long after the decision did they started paying ESA?

More
9 years 4 months ago #128324 by Gordon

43djbrooks wrote: thanks everyone for the information and I saw your thread ManW it has helped a lot, did you still get paid till they transferred you over?

Also how long after the decision did they started paying ESA?

Once they make a Decision, it should be 2-4 weeks, you will continue to receive your current benefit for a further two week and will then be switched to ESA. ESA is paid fortnightly in arrears so there should be no interruption in payment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.