× Members

ESA reassessment after a computer glitch at DWP

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #130089 by Kosak
Hello,

I was transferred from IB to ESA support group in 2012 after the face-to-face assessment.

In the summer 2013, DWP apparently sent me another DSA50 form to fill that I didn't get, but they accepted the one I sent at the later date (after a lot of grief).

However, at that point, they claimed the mistake was made with the decision at my initial assessment and that I should've been put in the work group rather than the support group. Luckily, I kept safe a letter from them confirming I was placed in the support group and they admitted there was a computer glitch at DWP so they lost half of my records/assessment - and my ESA (SG) was reinstated.

A few days ago, I received a letter from ATOS asking me to attend a reassessment, a year and a half after submitting the last ESA50 form, apparently due to a backlog. I requested to see my ESA85 form which, as expected, was half made up and incorrect. It is also stated there that the return to work could be considered within 3 months.

I hope I was correct in asking that the next interview is to be recorded (considering my experience)? I have done it over the phone, but wondering now if I should follow it with a written request?

Also, do you know why they didn't ask me for a new ESA50 form, as it's been so long? And, in case they start questioning me about what I've written in the old form, is it advisable to insist on being assessed on my current situation?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by . Reason: tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #130138 by Gordon
Bran

We have seen a number of members report their being sent to a face to face assessment without having received a new ESA50. Our advice is that you complete one, you can download a copy from Gov UK,

If there is time send it to the ATOS office where the assessment is to be done, otherwise take it to the interview and ask the assessor to read it before continuing with the assessment and to include it your file. We also recommend sending a copy to the DWP office that normally deals with your claim, marked for the Decision Maker. The following FAQ explains how to use the electronic version of the ESA50

ESA medical – what forms to ask for?

We recommend confirming the request for your assessment to be recorded in writing, there is a template letter in the ESA section for doing this.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Please be aware that whilst ATOS should make reasonable endeavours to record the interview, if the facilities are not available on the day, this would not constitute Good Cause for you refusing to participate.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #130143 by Kosak
Thank you very much for your advice, Gordon, I shall do that!

Best regards,
Bran

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131966 by Kosak
Hello,

Further to my last post, I've received an appointment letter for the next assessment that will take place in mid-April. It doesn't say in the letter that it's going to be recorded, only confirmed on the phone - as my initial appointment had been rescheduled due to this request, I hope this is fine...

You have kindly advised me to send new ESA50 02/15 form before the appointment since DWP had lost most of my paperwork. I haven't done it yet, but hoping to send it before Easter so they would have time to read it.

What I'm wondering now is where to post the form once completed - I live in London. An old envelope from the Jobcentre (for ESA50 form) that I have is addressed to:

Freepost RRYL-BSUK-GAKA
Jobcentre Plus
Belfast Benefit Delivery Centre
Plaza Building
31-35 Chichester Street
Belfast BT1 4JF

Please, let me know if this is the correct address or should I be using another one?

You have advised me to add F.A.O. The Decision Maker in the address. I guess, this still applies?

Do you think I should take one copy of the completed form with me to the assessment, also, or better post it to the assessment centre's office in Wembley?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Needless to say, I'm dreading the whole thing... :(

B.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by .

9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #131972 by

Bran wrote: Hello,

Further to my last post, I've received an appointment letter for the next assessment that will take place in mid-April. It doesn't say in the letter that it's going to be recorded, only confirmed on the phone - as my initial appointment had been rescheduled due to this request, I hope this is fine...

You have kindly advised me to send new ESA50 02/15 form before the appointment since DWP had lost most of my paperwork. I haven't done it yet, but hoping to send it before Easter so they would have time to read it.

What I'm wondering now is where to post the form once completed - I live in London. An old envelope from the Jobcentre (for ESA50 form) that I have is addressed to:

Freepost RRYL-BSUK-GAKA
Jobcentre Plus
Belfast Benefit Delivery Centre
Plaza Building
31-35 Chichester Street
Belfast BT1 4JF

Please, let me know if this is the correct address or should I be using another one?

You have advised me to add F.A.O. The Decision Maker in the address. I guess, this still applies?

Do you think I should take one copy of the completed form with me to the assessment, also, or better post it to the assessment centre's office in Wembley?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Needless to say, I'm dreading the whole thing... :(

B.

Hi B,

I would not use the old envelope address that you have.

Nearly all DWP/ATOS mail now goes via The Wolverhampton Mail Handling site.

Regarding The DWP Address FAO : The ESA Decision Maker, I would post this to the address of The Benefits Office/Centre on your most recent ESA letter from The DWP.

This will probably be via The Wolverhampton Site.

If you don't have a recent letter you could ring ESA to obtain it :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA.

I wouldn't tell them why you need the address, other than to state that you need to post a letter to them.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

You should be aware that as The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments Limited.(CHDA) (Maximus) took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15, it should be them that you should contact to gain an address to post copy of your ESA50 to.

Whilst in contact with CHDA, you might want to ask them to confirm in writing/E-mail that they are to record the assessment.

Even, if you do post the two copies as above, I would still take a copy along to the assessment and present it to the assessor before the assessment begins.

Finally, have a read through this FAQ : ESA Medical – What to expect

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

bro58

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #132082 by Kosak
Hi bro58,

Many thanks for your advice!

I have found my recent ESA letter and the address is:

Glasgow Northgate London
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 1BZ

This looks to me like the correct address - the one you were mentioning in your reply?

For CHDA (Maximus) the office address on the appointment letter is:

Wembley
Centre for Health and Disability Assessments
Wembley ASC
PO Box 1044
London
SW95 9EB

I guess, this is the right address, but should I put here as well FAO: The ESA Assessors or something else?

I shall take a copy of ESA50 form with me also, as you've suggested (and in case they say they never received the original) and give CHDA a ring tomorrow about the recording of the interview (in writing)..

Thanks again and I'll certainly keep you posted!

Bran

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.