× Members

Pip prosethis aid advice

More
8 years 1 month ago #155083 by John
Replied by John on topic Pip prosethis aid advice
Pip appointment questions

Hi all just been notified of a pip medical next week. This has raised anxiety through the roof and would like to ask some questions about the medical. The health care provider is atos.

1. Are we to late to request the medical to be recorded? does atos provide equipment to enable recording or do we and if so is it sufficient to turn up with capable recording devices on the day that can give them a copy as well as our own or can they refuse to be recorded despite having 2 suitable recording devices.

2. Can we submit paperwork on the day that gives a more detailed account of the severity of injuries and insist these are also passed to the dwp so they are included if we have to go to appeal stage? This is just a more detailed explanation of injuries and timeframes not further medical evidence as we would not be able to get an appointment in time.

3. Having read reports by 2 nurses who previously were employed by atos to carry out dwp medicals we are concerned. Both of these nurse's resigned in disgust at the way they were 'trained' to draw their conclusions on a disabled persons health. These were some of the examples:

If you smiled at the interview you could not be suffering with depression.

If you had eye contact with the examiner you did not suffer from anxiety/depression and it proved that you could deal with strangers.

If your hair was brushed, nails cut, clothes clean etc you were well presented and therefore could not be suffering with depression/anxiety

That you were deemed not to suffer from anxiety/depression unless you had a panic attack during the medical.

If you had a mobile phone even if it was never used and claimed it was for "medical emergencies" it was to be deemed that you had no dexterity issues as you could press buttons, that you had no anxiety issues as anyone could phone you which meant you didn't feel anxious when speaking to strangers.

That the examiner will shake your hand at the start of the interview and you will be asked to sign some paperwork, both proving you have no dexterity issues.

That if you claim to be unsafe during cooking etc that it will only be counted if an incident has occurred that has required emergency services.

These are just some of the examples but this has us really concerned and hope one of the mods can give us some guidance about this.

4. Would it be advisable to take copies of the medical information already supplied with the pip2 form in the event the examiner doesn't have them?

5. Is it ok to ask the examiners qualification and if they are a nurse/physiotherapist to question if they are qualified to refute the medical information supplied by our doctors/consultants.

6. Is the best approach to be defensive throughout the medical?

7. Having been ill health retired by the government we fail to see why my partner has been called for a medical, the requirement for ill health retirement is permanent incapacity, no further medical intervention possible, all medical avenue's explored, no reasonable adjustments could be made to continue employment which included being transferred to any number of government jobs.

8, Finally I have paperwork which shows the government admitting and apologising for disability discrimination and harassment this hopefully explains some of our anxiety/depression issues. I am unsure if passing this to atos would come under the official secrets act so pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea. However dwp staff will be covered by the same official secrets act, would it be advisable to submit this to them? or to wait and see if a MR is required. If it is then paperwork submitted at the MR stage is that included in appeal paperwork?

Apologies for the numerous questions, in truth I am very surprised that a medical has been called for, I am actually wondering if the health care provider actually reads the forms/medical information before making an appointment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155099 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip prosethis aid advice
John

To try and answer your questions.

1. You must notify the Assessment Provider (AP) in advance of your intention to record the assessment (they do not provide this service). You will need to provide a dual recording facility using either tape or CD, digital recorders are not allowed.

2. Yes you can submit further information on the day.

3. Some of the questions will be indirect and the assessor will infer capability depending on your answer, they will also be observing you throughout the interview and may make further assumptions from what they see you do. It is what is! This is going to happen whatever you do, just think before you answer and try not to worry too much and their observing you.

4. Yes

5. You can ask for their qualifications. The law does not require the assessor to have detailed knowledge of your conditions, all assessors are trained in Disability Assessment to a standard set by the DWP.

6. Can't comment.

7. The requirements for PIP are different from those used to retire you from your previous job. You must meet the PIP criteria for an award.

8. As this appears to be a legal matter I cannot comment. You should either check the status of the documents or contact the DWP to confirm whether their staff are covered by the Act.

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: John

More
8 years 1 month ago #155125 by John
Thank you Gordon

We will try and source some suitable recording devices, failing that I intend to take notes throughout the medical which I assume is allowed?

Are you allowed to request to see what the assessor has written at the end of the interview? or ask what points they intend to award?

When undergoing a medical are you being video taped?

Following on from question 3, in your experience is it as severe as the examples I quoted or is that perhaps disgruntled ex employees exaggerating the extent that they make snap judgements on appearance etc. Also worth pointing out the nurses in question were possibly involved at the earlier stages of pip which I guess may have been more brutal than it is now or perhaps that's wishful thinking! :laugh:

I understand none of the advice is legally binding on the forum but it is better to be forewarned about the severity of the medical experience.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155138 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip prosethis aid advice
John

You can take notes in the assessment but you may come under pressure from the assessor to respond more quickly if your doing so slows down the interview, also, it may mean that you do not pay sufficient attention to the questions, so I would advice you have a companion take the notes.

You can ask to see what they have written, I not aware of any specific right to request this so it will be up to the assessor whether they allow it or not.

Assessments are not video taped but there may be CCTV in public areas. You should be aware that your journey to and from the assessment will be considered as part of it and in particular your approach to the assessment centre.

We tend to only see the worst of assessments reported on the forum, so I cannot give you a broader view of what is normal. Despite the huge issues with system; the majority of assessments are carried out professionally and the claimant receives the award that they should.

My comment regarding it being a "legal matter" was in relation to the operation of the Official Secrets Act.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #155370 by John
Is there any information regarding Salus? have tried doing a search but not finding very much about them. My main query is in the guide it tells you the break down of nurses, physios, doctors employed by atos to carry out medicial exams.

I would like to know what staff Salus use as from what I can see they are part of the NHS? Does that mean everyone Salus uses are Doctors? Does that mean that they have access to your medical records without having to write to your GP?

Have only just realised that our appointment is with Salus, didn't realise they existed and don't think I had seen their name mentioned in the guide, although I may have missed it. I know the forum isn't always updated over a weekend but if possible a reply today would be very helpful.

Thanks

• bro58
8 years 4 weeks ago #155415 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Pip prosethis aid advice

John wrote: Is there any information regarding Salus? have tried doing a search but not finding very much about them. My main query is in the guide it tells you the break down of nurses, physios, doctors employed by atos to carry out medicial exams.

I would like to know what staff Salus use as from what I can see they are part of the NHS? Does that mean everyone Salus uses are Doctors? Does that mean that they have access to your medical records without having to write to your GP?

Have only just realised that our appointment is with Salus, didn't realise they existed and don't think I had seen their name mentioned in the guide, although I may have missed it. I know the forum isn't always updated over a weekend but if possible a reply today would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hi J,

I don't really know much regarding Salus either, other than I found on the internet : Here .

We are aware that ATOS do contract out some PIP assessments in Scotland, and they do use other organisations premises elsewhere.

Whoever carries out the assessment will have to be an approved Disability Analyst recognised by The Secretary of State and the PIP Assessment will follow the normal format.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.