× Members

PIP2

More
8 years 2 months ago #151552 by Bill
Replied by Bill on topic PIP2
Thanks Gordon,

It just concerns me that they will not have the consultants reports to refer to at the time so I think I will make sure I have the originals to hand when they come.

To be honest, having read a lot of the members experiences here at the Forum, I have no confidence at all that my details will have been read beforehand. We will see.

Its not for another 10 days anyway but will report how it all goes in case its of any use to anyone else (and let you know if my file had been read prior to the assessment !).

Thanks again.
Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #152324 by Bill
I have just had my PIP Assessment at home and my wife was with me. When I last wrote I thought it was 10 days away but it was only 7 after all.

The Capita HP arrived on time but didn’t tell us what flavour of HP he actually was, or if he did neither of us can remember. We should have clarified his qualification but it seems we were both a little overwhelmed. Age wise he was probably in his 30s we think.

He was smart, pleasant and business like and said that because I had sent in ‘’so much’’ information with my application he had only had a ‘’quick leaf through it all’’ as he got a bit ‘’lost’’. I didn’t feel I sent too much in, only a total of 16 pages and they were all numbered so why he had difficulty I don’t know. This rang alarm bells but also confirmed a possible reason for Appeal should the worst happen (I think?).

He began by asking what my problems were and said he didn’t want to go into them too deeply but just wanted to get a feel of what medical issues I had. He was typing on his laptop or whatever they are called nowadays, constantly. As I explained what I had, one by one, he stopped me as I was explaining certain aspects and said he would return to those points later, he just wanted a summary for now.

He asked when each illness first began and who diagnosed it and then started to ask me the questions from the PIP2 form. He went through each and every one of the questions in the form in detail, and this time he gave me enough time to reply and explain everything. Even though I had answered all the questions in full in the PIP2 form, which I reminded him, he said he wanted me to ‘’tell me in your own words’’ as it would help him understand better.

He asked how and why my illnesses affected me daily, what limitations they caused and why, and all sorts of other questions about my difficulties with daily activities. He gave me plenty of time to answer and didn’t interrupt.

By the way, when it came to the walking questions he started off by asking how long I could walk without needing to stop, not how far I could walk. I had half expected this after reading the Forum but I could not confirm a time and stuck to the distance I had detailed in the form. He persisted by asking how long it took me to walk the particular distance I had ticked on the form but I said that I couldn’t tell him with certainty.

He asked me to get up and walk up and down in our kitchen while he sat, watched, and typed. Then he asked me to stand still and do some simple physical movements, there was one I could not do very well and he accepted the situation at once. He said he did not wish to cause me discomfort.

Concentrating for so long to ensure I didn’t miss telling him anything really took its toll. In hindsight I felt I should have explained more about some health issues but I was uncertain how far to go, I think, as I had been told to hold back a few times early on in proceedings.

Just one example that we both feel I should have explained more about was driving. ‘’Do you drive’’? ‘’No I don’t anymore’’ ‘’But you can drive’’? ‘’Yes I can drive’’. I suspect I should have said that I am unable to drive now rather than saying I don’t drive but I simply didn’t think at the time?

When all the questions had been asked, and answered, he asked me to tell him my work history, my social interactions, friends, and family, my use of TV, computer, social media, and such like. After this he said he was finished and we should hear from the DWP in 4-6 weeks. Those 4-6 weeks seem like an awfully long time to wait just now!

From the start when he introduced himself, to the time he left our house, was a total of 1 hour and 43 minutes. It did seem like an awfully long time and was tiring.

We could not get any kind of feeling from the assessment regarding how well it went as he gave nothing away (poker face) and he explained the decision was not his to make.
When asked if he could give us some kind of indication of what his professional opinion was or what his recommendation might be he simply said no, he could not.

Our feelings are mixed and we are not sure if I will maintain my current award when I am transferred or not; I was straightforward and honest but what he wrote goodness knows. I hope this might help if you have yet to have your F2F and I will update this topic when we hear anything more.

By the way, on my PIP2 form I stuck strictly to the advice in the B&W Guides which I found invaluable and even if things go against me (God forbid) I could not have prepared for this as well without them.

Not only are the Guides priceless in my opinion, the Moderators who man (and woman!) the Forum are important beyond words. Their answers and explanations to Members questions go a long way to help me understand the best way to deal with the situation I find myself in. Without the Mods’ insight the Guides, as brilliant as they truly are, would lose a little something very special so thanks Mods’, all of you, thanks a million.

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, dribble

More
8 years 2 months ago #152353 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP2
Bill

Thanks for posting how your assessment went, it really helps other members when this sort of information s posted.

The Decision should take about 2-4 weeks.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

More
8 years 2 months ago #152398 by Bill
Hi all,

I know its stupidly early, far too soon, but I phoned this morning to request a copy of the Medical Assessment Report.

The guy at the DWP said that I would get one when the decision is sent to me and its ''unlikely'' I will get a copy before that time.

Goodness this is going to be a long few weeks ahead !

Bill

More
8 years 2 months ago #152878 by Bill
Hi all,

Got the PA4 report today but not the Decision. The HP who assessed me was a male nurse I now know and, as with many others I have read here on the Forum, he made some strange notes and gave some scores that we cannot understand.

The most notable thing is that he advised I should be reviewed in 3 years time, even though he says that the conditions will still be there at the time of review. Is this usual if he does not expect any improvement?

There are codes used such as FME, MSO, MSE, which I don’t know the meaning of?

Also, there is a list at the start of the document stating what other evidence was considered alongside the consultation findings. It lists only one of the consultants letters that I supplied but has two other letters detailed that I don’t know about, one from my GP, and one from another Consultant. The details of the letters are not there for me to see so I don’t know who wrote them or what they say. Both are a couple of years old according to the dates so are not connected to this changeover.

Can I do an SAR and ask only for those two letters that I am unaware of do you think?

Forgot to say that although I don’t agree with the way I have been scored, the totals add up to 21 and 12. As I said, I have not yet received the actual decision so I am hoping that the DM will accept the advice of the HP. I understand the DM can go against it if they wish?

Looking forward to seeing your views please Mods.

Thanks.
Bill

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152880 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP2

Bill wrote: Hi all,

Got the PA4 report today but not the Decision. The HP who assessed me was a male nurse I now know and, as with many others I have read here on the Forum, he made some strange notes and gave some scores that we cannot understand.

The most notable thing is that he advised I should be reviewed in 3 years time, even though he says that the conditions will still be there at the time of review. Is this usual if he does not expect any improvement?

There are codes used such as FME, MSO, MSE, which I don’t know the meaning of?

Also, there is a list at the start of the document stating what other evidence was considered alongside the consultation findings. It lists only one of the consultants letters that I supplied but has two other letters detailed that I don’t know about, one from my GP, and one from another Consultant. The details of the letters are not there for me to see so I don’t know who wrote them or what they say. Both are a couple of years old according to the dates so are not connected to this changeover.

Can I do an SAR and ask only for those two letters that I am unaware of do you think?

Forgot to say that although I don’t agree with the way I have been scored, the totals add up to 21 and 12. As I said, I have not yet received the actual decision so I am hoping that the DM will accept the advice of the HP. I understand the DM can go against it if they wish?

Looking forward to seeing your views please Mods.

Thanks.
Bill

Hi B,

Yes, sometimes these reports look like they have been copy and pasted together.

This is because they use pre-designated stock phrases from the PIPAT software programme that they use to compile the PA4.

"The most notable thing is that he advised I should be reviewed in 3 years time, even though he says that the conditions will still be there at the time of review. Is this usual if he does not expect any improvement?"

They are stating that in their opinion you will still be suffering with the same medical conditions in 3 years time, but they will be reviewing you to see whether the resulting limitations that you suffer are still the same at that time

"There are codes used such as FME, MSO, MSE, which I don’t know the meaning of?"

Not sure about the MSO, Mental State Observations, maybe ?

FME = Further Medical Evidence.

MSE = Mental State Examination.

Others are :

IO = Informal Observations.

CQ = Claimant's Questionnaire (PIP 2)

MSK = Musculoskeletal Examination..

If you look through our "Sample" PA4 5th link down : This Page you may see other abbreviations and what they mean.

Again, use of these abbreviations is pretty standard.

Yes, you can issue a SAR for "All" documentation used in coming to your PIP decision, although it may be best to wait until after the decision to ensure that you receive all documents, on the other hand, it can take them up to 40 calendar days to comply with a SAR !.

You can do this using a SAR Form :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the DWP Benefits Office/Centre dealing with your PIP.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

Even if you don't agree with the way that you achieve the points, if you are happy with the level of award, you would be best advised to,let things lie.

When you are next reassessed, things will be looked at afresh anyway, so you can state how your disabilities affect you at that time and how you feel that you score the required number of points.

Fingers crossed that The PIP DM abides by the recommendations of Enhanced for "both" !! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.