× Members

ESA Support group

More
8 years 2 months ago #150933 by SwiftyOne
ESA Support group was created by SwiftyOne
Hello all
I'm kinda like at my wits end, and need some help or advice, I really feel I am being singled out here...
I've been on benefits since I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease in 1999. I underwent an assessment in 2012 for ESA and was put in the support group, that same year as my condition was getting worse, I also underwent another assessment for DLA which was first turned down, I then went though the tribunal service and it was decided that, (after I brought all my medical records and written Doctors letters from 1995-2012 showing my condition getting worse..£65 to have that done) I was entitled to the higher rate mobility and the higher care rate, for a total of 3 years.
In August 2015 I had another assessment for the renewal of my DLA, + the change over to PIP which I was reworded higher rates again until 2018.

Now in February 2016 just six months apart, I have to go through yet another assessment for ESA and the support group, which says I need to supply evidence of my condition over again, I cannot afford another £65 for all this evidence again...I phoned the Health Assessment Advisory Service, from whom I received the letter....I first got told "This form should not have been sent to you"....Then from the same person, "I get someone to phone you back in two-three hours".......In one hour I had a phone call from a lady (I never took her name) I asked her, if they can use all the evidence that I brought in for my PIP assessment some 6 months ago, I was told "NO" that was for your PIP claim this is for ESA support group claim...
I can understand, I really can, how they need to wash out the not so genuine people...But surely they should know by now, if I am genuine or not? Do I need to do this same assessment over and over again, and each time to bring in the same evidence over and over?.....Please help, I don't know what I should do :(
Thank you..
Regards ..
Swifty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150948 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Support group
S

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Your timeline is a little confusing :)

But from what you have posted you were last assessed for ESA in 2012 or are you saying your ESA was renewed last August?

The ESA legislation for ESA allows a re-assessment once three months have elapsed from any previous Decision and once a re-assessment has been started there is no way for you to avoid it.

What you have been told about using the evidence from your last PIP claim is incorrect, you can use any evidence that is relevant to your re-assessment, newer evidence is better than old, but if it is only six months old then I think it unlikely that this will be an issue.

The is a full re-assessment of your claim so you need to complete the form in detail. Have a look at our ESA Claim guides for a full understanding of the criteria against which you are being re-assessed. If your last assessment was in 2012 then there have been changes to some of the ESA Descriptors and Regulations that you need to be aware of.

If you have any questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #150971 by SwiftyOne
Replied by SwiftyOne on topic ESA Support group
Hi Gordon
Thank you for your quick response :)
Sorry for the confusing time line, I've actually confused myself here :blush:

I think In 2009/10 I was taken off income Support and incapacity Benefit and assessed for ESA to go on the support group.
it was not until I was finding it more difficult to walk, and relying more and more on my wife for help, that I first claimed DLA in 2012, and was turned down, I went through a tribunal, and I was accepted, this was for three years, and ran out in October 2015, in July I started to get paper work to make a claim for the new PIP, where in August I was awarded High rate mobility and high rate care, my wife being my carer.
So I was last assessed for ESA in 2009/10....I had though(probably wrongly) the being in the support group of ESA that I would not be assessed again....Or that, if I was to have another assessment that, they could use all the information that I gave them for my PIP assessment :)
And sorry, I did not search, or read the forum before posting, I was a little upset while posting and it came out a mess :blush:
Thank you for your help :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #150987 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Support group
Stephen

Don't worry about your post. :)

We went through a period where re-assessments were being deferred so that is why you have been left for so long, normally the maximum period between ESA assessments is three years if the claimant is in the SG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #151001 by SwiftyOne
Replied by SwiftyOne on topic ESA Support group
Thank you Gordon :)
I have now had a good read on here, and speaking to my wife, it's just another form to fill out, but I do wish there was somehow the DWP could just recognise genuine claimants from the not so ones, maybe have a small chip inserted with all the information that they require(I say that as joke) but thinking about it I wouldn't mind having it done, instead of going through this over, and over, again :)
I can see you, and lots of others on here, doing a wonderful service in their spare time....Just to take a minute, and say Thanks :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #151021 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA Support group

Stephen wrote: Thank you Gordon :)
I have now had a good read on here, and speaking to my wife, it's just another form to fill out, but I do wish there was somehow the DWP could just recognise genuine claimants from the not so ones, maybe have a small chip inserted with all the information that they require(I say that as joke) but thinking about it I wouldn't mind having it done, instead of going through this over, and over, again :)
I can see you, and lots of others on here, doing a wonderful service in their spare time....Just to take a minute, and say Thanks :)

Thanks S ! :)

Now that you have the ESA50, you might want to consider : Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 2nd & 3rd links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (aka CHDA, aka HAAS.)

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your ESA related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.