× Members

Using an aid or appliance

• Ann1966
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #149455 by Ann1966
PIP additional information was created by Ann1966
Hi
Have just joined, and have read through quite a few of the forum posts, but haven't yet found the info I'm looking for, my question is, I currently have higher rate dla care and mobility, I have just filled in my pip form and regarding mobility have put that I can walk between 20-50 metres, but because I have Severe Brittle Asthma, for which I am hospitalised every six weeks, I need someone in the car with me at all times, in case I have a sudden attack which requires the administration of my epi-pen, oxygen etc,. I've read lots on here about needing someone with you if you have mental health issues, but not medical, would I score any points?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 3 months ago #149470 by foss27
Replied by foss27 on topic PIP additional information
Hi
I think the issue of someone in the car to administer medical support would be more about care needs than mobility.
To get high rate mobility the limit is 20 metres so your high rate would stop.

• Ann1966
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #149476 by Ann1966
Replied by Ann1966 on topic PIP additional information
Would this also count if I cannot access public transport due to the amount of medical equipment that I have to carry, I will be house bound without my car and although I may walk between 20-50 metres I cannot walk at all when in poor health.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149494 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP additional information

Ann1966 wrote: Would this also count if I cannot access public transport due to the amount of medical equipment that I have to carry, I will be house bound without my car and although I may walk between 20-50 metres I cannot walk at all when in poor health.

I wouldn't expect you to score points on this basis. Our PIP guides explain the descriptors in some depth

PIP help for claimants

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Ann1966
  • Topic Author
8 years 3 months ago #149519 by Ann1966
Replied by Ann1966 on topic PIP additional information
Having looked at your guides, I still feel a little perturbed, I need another person in the car with me to ensure that I can carry out a journey in a safe and reliable way, someone who could take over the controls of the car at a moments notice, without an additional person with me I could be considered unsafe to drive, but no where do the the descriptors tackle the safety and reliability due to physical illness, and is certainly a point I would argue! The very nature of my illness dictates change at the click of a finger, life obviously with the DWP won't be easy!

More
8 years 3 months ago #149555 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP additional information

Ann1966 wrote: Having looked at your guides, I still feel a little perturbed, I need another person in the car with me to ensure that I can carry out a journey in a safe and reliable way, someone who could take over the controls of the car at a moments notice, without an additional person with me I could be considered unsafe to drive, but no where do the the descriptors tackle the safety and reliability due to physical illness, and is certainly a point I would argue! The very nature of my illness dictates change at the click of a finger, life obviously with the DWP won't be easy!

There are two ways to score points for the Mobility component; through the Going Out activity which looks at your ability to plan and follow a route and is targeted at claimants with cognitive, mental health or sensory issues and the Moving Around activity which looks at your ability to stand and then walk and is meant for those with physical issues.

You describe your problem with Going Out as being due to your asthma and frequent attacks that could have an impact on your driving, this is a physical condition and as such I would not expect you to score points for this activity on this basis. You also might want to careful of emphasising this, were this an issue that could be considered, you would be describing yourself as unfit to drive!

You have said that you can reliably walk 20m-50m this would score 8 points in the Moving Around activity if accepted and would result in a Standard award.

Although the DWP guidance refers to Public Transport the legislative definitions of the activities does not so I would not rely on this scoring points, we have seen a number of Decision Makers deny points for this very reason.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.