× Members

PIP/ESA Horror

More
8 years 1 month ago #153311 by jen
PIP/ESA Horror was created by jen
A few days ago I received the date and time for my WCA at the end of this month. I'm far from happy about this, but the appointment is within reach.

Today, I got news of my PIP interview and I am beside myself with rage, disbelief and remorse to the degree I'm now feeling utterly suicidal. This is scheduled to take place in less than two weeks time... 189 miles away in a location that would mean an 8 hour round journey.

To rub it in even more, in addition to my disability, I suffer severe depression and anxiety and made my issues and problems VERY clear to them in my form that being in public and travelling is a major trauma for me.

There is absolutely no way I can attend this appointment. It's been traumatic enough having to deal with both PIP and ESA claim forms at the same time, but this makes me sick with panic, fear and worry about all this. I'm just utterly horrified and angry beyond despair. This year so far has been a never ending horrifying farce thanks to the DWP and this feels like a very nasty twist of the knife. I am trying my hardest to stay calm, but am shaking like a leaf in a state of total panic and horror.

Any advice on this would be enormously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153336 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP/ESA Horror
Jen

DWP guidance to the Assessment Providers requires them to book appointments no more than 90 minutes travel each way!!!

You should contact Maximus and ask for a new appointment that conforms to the requirements set out by the DWP, also you should make it clear that this should not be counted as a refusal to attend.

I would also write to the DWP office dealing with your claim informing them of the details of the appointment and pointing out that AP has not met the requirements, this should be addressed to the ESA Assessment team at the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jen

More
8 years 1 month ago #153344 by jen
Replied by jen on topic PIP/ESA Horror
Thank you Gordon - superb information there.

That has set my mind at ease. :)

More
8 years 1 month ago #153821 by jen
As an update, this PIP medical has been rearranged with no hassle to take place a week later at a town just over 15 miles away. The explanation received for the original appointment was bizarre... apparently their computer automatically generates the appointments, picking the earliest available... regardless of where you live, so goodness knows how many other people are getting sent appointments that are ridiculous distances away.

Now comes the joy and thrill of having the PIP medical, followed by the WCA the following day in another town. :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pippers

More
8 years 1 week ago #157376 by jen
Almost a month after my WCA, today I received a brown envelope informing me I have a "work focused interview for ESA claimants" with a "personal advisor" - in just TWO DAYS time. I have not yet had any other mail regarding the results of my WCA but am now presuming I have been thrown off the support group and tossed into the WRAG. I'm also still awaiting the results of my PIP assessment... and the last few weeks, the waiting has reduced me to a nervous wreck.

Presuming I have been placed in the WRAG, then what do I do next? I certainly intend to appeal against the decision. Will I have to start getting "fit notes" again?

Please forgive me if I seem a bit hysterical at the moment. Am absolutely gutted and most upset I have had this "interview" dumped on me at such short notice. I would had preferred having the official letter informing me I've been placed in WRAG before being demanded to attend an interview.

The last 5 months have been absolute Hell - being forced to make renewed claims for ESA and PIP at the same time then the misery of the medicals both within a week of each other... and since then the waiting to hear of my fate.

Thanks in advance.

More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #157390 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP/ESA Horror
Jen

I'm afraid it's not unusual for a letter from the local JC+ to beat the Decision Letter to the claimant.

To deal with the WRAG award first.

As you are now in the WRAG you are liable to attend WFIs and to participate in Work Related Activity, these can be mandated and you risk your benefit being sanctioned if you do not participate.

It's important that you are proactive in contacting your new JC+ advisor, they do not have access to the computer records that document your assessment and will be dependant on you informing them of your conditions and how they affect you.

You should make it clear that you will be challenging this Decision as it should reduce any WRA that they ask you to do.

A Fit Note is unlikely to have any affect, all it certifies is that you have Limited Capability for Work and this is already accepted, however, some advisors pay some attention to them, so it's worth exploring with your advisor.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our ESA Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report (ESA85) if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jen

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.