× Members

PIP daily diary

More
7 years 11 months ago #159677 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP daily diary

Chrissy wrote: Thank you Mrs Hurtyback.

No problem (although it was actually Gordon who responded last time :) )

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrissy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #160966 by Chrissy
Hi

I thought I would put this question on this thread as it's about PIP and hopefully saves mods time in merging threads.

I'm on DLA, lifetime award, middle rate care, but I don't get mobility.

I cannot get on a bus, unless I use opiates and I want to start attending a group for people with drug problems but the group is held in a city which is an hour bus ride away

In 2013 I applied for a bus pass and the council said they would consider it if I wrote to my GP
My question is this, if I apply for a bus pass, even though the application goes through the council, will it somehow triggger an invitation to apply for PIP?

thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #160978 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP daily diary
Chrissy

There's no reason why it would initiate an invitation to claim PIP, your Local Authority has nothing to do with the DWP.

However, you do need to ask yourself the question as to whether attending this group conflicts in anyway with the reasons that you have been awarded DLA. If it does then you should give careful consideration as to whether you should go ahead or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 10 months ago #161033 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic PIP daily diary

Gordon wrote: Chrissy

There's no reason why it would initiate an invitation to claim PIP, your Local Authority has nothing to do with the DWP.

However, you do need to ask yourself the question as to whether attending this group conflicts in anyway with the reasons that you have been awarded DLA. If it does then you should give careful consideration as to whether you should go ahead or not.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

thank you for answering my question, I would like a bit more clarification please
I am not sure what you mean when you say I need to ask myself whether attending this group conflicts in anyway with the reasons why I have been awarded DLA
I am a self harmer.
I cannot leave the house without self medicating and I had to self medicate with opiates, I still found it a real ordeal though.

More
7 years 10 months ago #161051 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP daily diary

Chrissy wrote: Hi Gordon

thank you for answering my question, I would like a bit more clarification please
I am not sure what you mean when you say I need to ask myself whether attending this group conflicts in anyway with the reasons why I have been awarded DLA
I am a self harmer.
I cannot leave the house without self medicating and I had to self medicate with opiates, I still found it a real ordeal though.

I don't want to add to your concerns, but to try and give you some examples. If you have a mobility award that is based on your being unable to go out, can you explain, if challenged, how you an attend this group, increasing your medication may be one solution, although not necessarily a good one. If you have care requirements, can they be met while you are at the group and if they cannot, how will you manage.

This situation can often be a Catch 22 and you may need to take the decision that the potential benefits out way any possible issues that could result. The important thing is that you consider the issues so that your decision is at least informed.

Gordon

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #161082 by Chrissy
Replied by Chrissy on topic PIP daily diary

Gordon wrote: I don't want to add to your concerns, but to try and give you some examples. If you have a mobility award that is based on your being unable to go out, can you explain, if challenged, how you an attend this group, increasing your medication may be one solution, although not necessarily a good one. If you have care requirements, can they be met while you are at the group and if they cannot, how will you manage.

This situation can often be a Catch 22 and you may need to take the decision that the potential benefits out way any possible issues that could result. The important thing is that you consider the issues so that your decision is at least informed.

Gordon

hi Gordon

I really appreciate your help.
I am Borderline Personality and suspected ADHD and often interpret things wrongly, so I'm afraid, I have more questions please, at the end of this post-hope you dont mind

I only have the MRC part of the DLA, because, in 2006, when I filled my DLA form, I was very naiive about benefits, and thought mobility meant physical walking difficulty, so I put on my form that I had no mobility needs.

This message contains confidential information

1)Please could you clarify what you mean when you say "You may need to take the decision that the potential benefits out way any possible issues that could result"
Does this mean that telling them I am attending the group (despite relying on un-prescribed opiates to get there and back, could put my award in jeapordy, even though I can lash out and put myself in danger if I don't take them?
Please could you explain what care requirements at the group mean?
There's other reasons I have care needs but I wanted this post not to be an essay.
thank you for reading it, I really appreciate your help
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.