× Members

Confusion over PIP

More
7 years 11 months ago #159249 by FMS
Confusion over PIP was created by FMS
Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have just been 'invited' to apply for PIP as my DLA (Care Component), which I have had since 2004, is about to end. At present I get £87.20 every four weeks, so £21.80 per week. However, when I looked up PIP rates I found that the lowest quoted Daily Living Component Rate seems to be £55.10 per week. Surely this would mean that if my claim is successful then they end up paying me over double what I am paid at present?

I understand that they will be hoping that I don't bother to make a claim, or that my claim will be unsuccessful. However, I can't quite fathom why they would increase the rate they may have to pay!

I hasten to add that I paid my B&W annual membership fee this morning and will be asking my ever-patient husband to digest them. Many thanks to all that contribute and will hopefully answer my silly questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159256 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Confusion over PIP

FMS wrote: Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have just been 'invited' to apply for PIP as my DLA (Care Component), which I have had since 2004, is about to end. At present I get £87.20 every four weeks, so £21.80 per week. However, when I looked up PIP rates I found that the lowest quoted Daily Living Component Rate seems to be £55.10 per week. Surely this would mean that if my claim is successful then they end up paying me over double what I am paid at present?

I understand that they will be hoping that I don't bother to make a claim, or that my claim will be unsuccessful. However, I can't quite fathom why they would increase the rate they may have to pay!

I hasten to add that I paid my B&W annual membership fee this morning and will be asking my ever-patient husband to digest them. Many thanks to all that contribute and will hopefully answer my silly questions.

From your post you are currently receiving the DLA Lower Care rate. PIP has no equivalent to this as it only has two rate for Care or Daily Living as it refers to it.

So your claim is going to go one way or the other, there is a possibility that you will not receive an award, or you will receive one at a higher rate than now. Whilst PIP and DLA share many commonalities the assessment process is very different and it is possible that issues that were ignored under DLA will be considered under PIP and will justify the higher award.

Please have a look at our PIP Claim guide for more details of those assessment criteria.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMS

More
7 years 11 months ago #159257 by frances
Replied by frances on topic Confusion over PIP
Its not surprising about your confusion as the government seems bent on making our lives difficult.
I also got the call to change to PIP from DLA in January! However even though I chased them up, I never received the call back I was promised and then all of a sudden after 5 months it came through.
Thanks to this site I have higher rate mobility (thereforeI can keep my mobility car which was a huge concern to me). Low and behold I also got standard living, which I did not expect.
My reading of this site helped me no end and made sure I put down all the help I get, from husband, daughter and grandson. I also mentionede my grandson was 17 and leaving school so would not be able to help me or stay over at weekends much longer. I also mentioned how desparate I would feel without the car and told them if they turned me down for the mobility they may as well send me a cyanide pill because I wanted to live my life and not just survive.
It was how I felt and it worked.
Goodluck, this site helps alot, and make sure you include all the little things that family and friends do to help. and how you would feel without this help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMS

More
7 years 11 months ago #159264 by FMS
Replied by FMS on topic Confusion over PIP
Thanks Gordon. That will be my husband's weekend reading as his concentration is better than mine.

My claim will be based on my Rheumatoid Arthritis the symptoms of which can be variable. However it is far worse than it was in 2004 when I was granted DLA. Both knees have now been replaced, I have hardly any grip and I am receiving cortisone injections in my shoulder. I would be totally lost without my husband's help and support.

I will be prepared for a rejection letter but will give the claim my best shot.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159269 by FMS
Thanks FB. Great news that you got Higher Rate. It must be awful if you have to give up your car.

Strangely enough when I first applied for DLA my doctor suggested it because he thought I would qualify under the 'Mobility' component but I was given it for 'Care'.

Move on 10 years or so and I am in need of 'Care' more than ever. Needing help to dress, wash etc. is dis-spiriting and I hate wearing elasticated waist trousers and front fastening bras! [However, my twice weekly blow dry is a marriage-saver. Poor hubby does his best but female hair is not his forte!] This week we have changed to an automatic car to see if I am able to drive it as I could no longer manage the manual gears in the previous one. However, due to previous brain haemorrhages it takes me a while to re-learn things so this is 'work in progress'.

I try to be as positive as possible as it keeps depression at bay.The last thing I needed was to have to fill in one of these blasted forms which make you dwell on what you can't do.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160843 by FMS
It is taking ages to complete my PIP form but slowly working through it with aid from your very helpful guide. My medical conditions are:

Rheumatoid Arthritis (So far - 2 knees replaced, feet needing pinned, diseased shoulder joint which needs cortisone injections, poor grip in hands, weak wrists);

Subarachnoid Haemorrhage with basilar tip artery aneurysm which could only be partially coiled (left with high blood pressure, unsteadiness, headaches, poor concentration and recall).

I have got as far as 'Question 6 - Washing & Bathing' and I am confused again. The guide states 'This activity is about your ability to wash and bathe ...... and getting in and out of a bath or shower which has NOT been adapted.' Am I right in thinking that they will not take into account my inability to get in and out of a bath since, a few years ago, we paid to install a walk-in shower which, although not perfect, makes things easier?

For years I have not been able to get in and out of the bath due to lack of upper body strength, poor grip and inability to kneel. If I could have a bath (and we do still have one for the rest of the family), I would as it might ease my shoulder and back pain. However, I decided I would only mention, in passing, that we had to install a walk in shower. I then noticed that it is later stated that 'If you have an adapted .... then explain what problems you would have if you tried to use an unadapted one.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.