× Members

Confusion over PIP

More
7 years 11 months ago #160851 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Confusion over PIP
FMS

You need to trust the guides to give you the correct information :)

The legal test is whether you can get in and out of an un-adapted bath, you do not need to use or even own one, just show that of one was available that you could not reliably, on the majority of days get in or out of it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie, FMS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #160861 by FMS
Replied by FMS on topic Confusion over PIP
Thanks Gordon. I am not very good at this!

More
7 years 11 months ago #161071 by FMS
Thanks to all the invaluable information on this site, I am managing to plough my way through the PIP form. I am so glad that I subscribed. I would have missed out so much detail, believing that a certain amount would be assumed given my disability. Now I read and re-read what I have written and give as much detail as possible, even if it means repeating myself in a subsequent section.

I only have 3 questions left to complete - Mobility (Q13/Q14) and Additional Information (Q15).

At present I only get DLA Lower Rate (Care Component) so I am not planning to spend a lot of time on the Mobility questions. Is this likely to count against me? I am happy to make do with my Blue Badge and being driven around by my husband.

With regard to 'Additional Information' how much is appropriate to give? I understand that I should fill in any gaps etc. However, is it worth trying to pre-emp certain questions at the assessment? For instance, I noted that I can be asked about type of accommodation and any adaptions made; leisure activities etc. So could I detail these here (in the hope that they will actually read to to the end of the form!)?

I had an appointment with my GP yesterday. I was not looking forward to asking him for a PIP Support Letter. However, he was very supportive. In fact he even suggested Carers Allowance. More forms to complete - no thanks! I would be happy never to see another form/brown envelope again.

Any guidance/thoughts would be much appreciated.

More
7 years 11 months ago #161100 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Confusion over PIP
FMS

If you do not think that you will meet the criteria for a mobility award then not completing the sections for Going Out and Moving Around, or only providing basic information will not have an impact on what you might score in the Daily Living section.

What to put in the Additional Information is really up to you, you can include information that you haven't been able to for the activities, or give a more detailed history of your conditions, or make a general statement about how your conditions affect you, or whatever you feel is appropriate.

I wouldn't bother trying to explain about your accommodation, etc., even if you include it I would expect the assessor to go through it again as they follow a script.

Good luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: FMS

More
7 years 11 months ago #161147 by FMS
Gordon. Thank you for all your help. It really is appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

More
7 years 9 months ago #165050 by FMS
Just a quick update. I had my assessment 2 weeks ago.

I did not think it went well. I took painkillers with my breakfast as I had a 9am appointment and it was the only way that I could get dressed and make the journey (accompanied by my husband). For various medical reasons, the only painkillers which work for me are Tramadol and so I only use sparingly as they are now a controlled substance and I do not want them to lose their effectiveness (and the Dr only prescribes 30 for each two month period). However, when I do take them then my pain is better controlled and I am able to move more freely. I have rheumatoid arthritis.

When the Assessor called me through to my appointment, I expected that she would introduce herself by name and profession. She did not do so. Just before she conducted the physical assessment I asked her if she was a nurse and she replied 'yes' so I assume that is what she was/is!

When completing my PIP Claim form I spent a very long time giving a full account of the difficulties I face under the 'Daily Living Component' section, as that was the only section that I expected to meet the descriptors to gain points. I was upset when the assessor told me that she had only spent a few minutes scanning through the information before our appointment. I asked if she would read it in more detail after our appointment was over and was told that she would not have time as she would be seeing someone else directly after me.

Another thing that threw me was when talking about my ability to 'wash and bathe', she asked if I use a 'walk-in shower'. I told the truth and said that I had one (which I had paid to have installed to make my life easier) but said (also true) that for the last few weeks I had been using the shower in the bath as the walk-in shower needed to be replaced (this was done just prior to my assessment). She said she had to go by 'the majority of time' and so would score me as using a 'walk in' shower. I persevered and said that I thought '“bathe” was about the ability to wash and bathe, including washing and bathing the whole body, and getting into and out of a bath or shower which had not been adapted. I said I had completed by form explaining the problems/difficulties I would have if/when this is the case as in getting into the bath to use the shower. I was firmly put in my place over this! She said I used a walk in shower the majority of the time and so that was the information she would use.

Needless to say, I managed to perform much better during my physical assessment than I would have had I not taken medication a couple of hours beforehand!

I felt that things were skimmed over but kept telling myself not to worry because I assumed that at the end the Assessor would recap and ask me if I had anything I want to add. Not a chance!

I suspected that, despite all the medical evidence that had been provided, ATOS and DWP would conclude that all my diseased joints are not affecting me to any great extent.

A week after my assessment (so 6 days ago) I phoned and asked for a copy of the Assessment Report and I followed this up in writing. I fully expected the Assessor to give me zero points.

The report arrived this morning. It looks as though she is recommending that I be awarded 11 points! I also know that this does not mean that the DWP decision will necessarily reflect this!

There are a few inconsistencies such as 'Hospital Admissions - Nil since her SAH' although I have been an in-patient twice since then.

The 'Social & Occupational History' states 'Drives an automatic car but does not go out alone as cannot pull on hand break so someone is always with her but drives very little'. I presume she means that I drive very little rather than the person who is with me. She then uses this as justification for her 2 point award on each descriptor saying 'she still drives but needs somebody to pull on the hand-break therefore it would be reasonable that she still has adequate grip to use aids the majority of the time. I told her I hardly ever drive apart from on the very occasional good day but would still not have the confidence to go out alone as I require someone to pull on the handbrake. In our automatic car good grip is not really required for the automatic gears but it sounds as though I do this frequently in a manual car. She states this despite saying that: all my wrist movements are stiff and reduced; upper limb power reduced, dexterity reduced in both hands; pinch grip reduced in both hands; power grip reduced in both hands. This, I think, is a contradiction to her marking me as ‘Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to do (whatever)’.

I find this whole process totally confusing. However, I would have found it impossible to navigate without B&W. Fingers crossed that I am at least awarded 8 points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maggie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris