× Members

Won PIP on paper appeal!

More
8 years 1 month ago #154604 by Miss Haversham
Replied by Miss Haversham on topic Won PIP on paper appeal!
Thank you for the advice Bro
I still don't understand. I didn't have a face to face they decided this from my PIP application form.
I just want to know if I can write and send a mandatory reconsideration letter with out ringing them?
Or do I need to ring them first?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago #154615 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Won PIP on paper appeal!

Miss Haversham wrote: Thank you for the advice Bro
I still don't understand. I didn't have a face to face they decided this from my PIP application form.
I just want to know if I can write and send a mandatory reconsideration letter with out ringing them?
Or do I need to ring them first?

Hi MH,

Even if you didn't have a face to face a PIP Medical Report would have still been generated making recommendations on what points you should be awarded.

It will be a PA3 Medical Report rather than the PA4 !

You do not need to ring them regarding an MR, just request one in writing within the deadline.

bro58

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #157134 by Miss Haversham
I have been turned down for mandatory reconsideration and have to appeal. BecauseI have been aagoraphobic for the last 22 years I can not attend appeal and have no one to represent me I read that there's a lower success rate on paper based appeals. Is this true and what can I do to make my case stronger?
Thank you for any advice

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #157137 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Won PIP on paper appeal!

Miss Haversham wrote: I have been turned down for mandatory reconsideration and have to appeal. BecauseI have been aagoraphobic for the last 22 years I can not attend appeal and have no one to represent me I read that there's a lower success rate on paper based appeals. Is this true and what can I do to make my case stronger?
Thank you for any advice

I'm afraid that this is the case, the last time I saw statistics on this the success rate for a Paper hearing was about 1/4 that for an Oral one.

The primary difference between the two is that the panel can explore the claimants problems through there questioning so you need to try and replicate this by explaining your issues in detail, try and follow the approach used in the PIP Claim guide;

1. What is the health condition and what are the symptoms that cause you problems with the activity

2. Describe the problems you have, giving details and examples if you can.

3. If you use any aids or appliances, list them and explain why you use them.

4. If you need physical help, supervision or prompting, whether you actually get it or not, explain what you need and why you need it, including if you need help when using aids or appliances. If you can’t manage even with help from another person and have to have everything done for you, say so.

5. Say when during the day or night you have problems. For example, is it all the time, mostly in the morning or just in the evening?

6. If your condition varies, from day to day or week to week, try to explain how much it varies
and what problems you have when you are at your best, worst and average.

There may be multiple reasons why you cannot perform an activity, for example; for preparing food you may not be able to hold knives dues to dexterity problems and you may also not be able to stand for long periods of times, so you would go through the above twice, once for the dexterity and once for the standing.

Remember you need to explain whether aids and appliances would help or make no difference, so using the above example; would using knives with large handles make a difference, could you use a perching stool?.

Make sure you read and understand the criteria against which you are being assessed, you'll only score points if you show that you meet that criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miss Haversham

More
7 years 8 months ago #166078 by Miss Haversham
Because of my agoraphobia I wasn't able to attend in person for my PIP appeal. From what I read in various places the chances of winning my case on a paper appeal was very slim if not impossible, so as you can imagine I went in to it with little hope but I just thought, I've got nothing to lose.
How I did it
I wrote lots of accounts of how my agoraphobia effects my daily life going in to detail.
I took photographs of the small area in my street where I walk my little dog.
I got my sister, brother and friend to write letters on how they see me and how they help me.
I got notes from my last therapy sessions back in 2014
Plus I used all the excellent help and advice from this group. And ended each question with the words "can not do reliabley, safely, repeatedly"

I got 10 points awarded for 3 years at standard rate!

I just want to give hope to anyone who is not able to attend their appeal because of agoraphobia to go for a paper appeal and fight your corner and win
You can do it! X

More
7 years 8 months ago #166079 by Miss Haversham
Hello I won my appeal on paper

Moderators: bro58GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.