× Members

PIP renewal

More
5 years 5 months ago #220436 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP renewal
AC

I would mention any prompting or encouraging that you need but this but it is going to be of limited value, the Moving Around activity is all about the distance you can reliably walkon the majority of days, so it is really about your physical issues.

Definitely mention any problems you have moving around your home, it testifies to a more general problem with walking outside.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #220583 by angelcake
Replied by angelcake on topic PIP renewal
HI Gordon,
With the Going out descriptor, I do experience severe anxiety and distress in relation to going out but also issues with depression and exhaustion. Is the descriptor about anxiety MH and not depression? and also it is just a MH descriptor as I don't know whether to mention fatigue problems here or not? and whether just to focus on my anxiety condition?

Thank you

I

More
5 years 5 months ago #220584 by Gordon
AC

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #220585 by angelcake
Thank you.

So should I just focus on my anxiety and not mention the depression and fatigue with this descriptor?

On undertaking a journey , there are various issues, sometimes I cannot go out at all. I also I need prompting and encouraging but I can still experience severe anxiety and distress when going out. It helps to have someone with me but I still experience severe anxiety and distress.
Last time i scored 4 points for prompting, and my condition is the same. On the subject of reliabilty does the DM look at what you've written and then decides if you cannot do it reliably or do you have to literally state that you cannot do it reliabily to score more points.

The issue for me is :Even though I think I cannot do it reliabily, I would settle for the points on prompting as my condition is the same and I'd rather not go for assessment as I've been through 2 tribunals and the CAB have said if you give any evidence that suggests you have got worse or better then people are definitely sent for assessment.

thanks

AC

More
5 years 5 months ago #220587 by Gordon
AC

If you are only looking at Undertaking a Journey then you should talk about your depression and your anxiety, you won't score for physical issues like your fatigue with this activity.

The word "reliably" is not mentioned in the legislation, instead, you must talk about the terms that come under this heading

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

Mentioning a change in your limitations is going to make it more likely that you will have a face to face but it does not mean that you will and conversely, not mentioning any change does not guarantee that you will not be given an appointment.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcake

More
5 years 5 months ago #220774 by angelcake
Hi Gordon, with the going out descriptor, please could you clarify

I need prompting to go out and I scored 4 points previous, I am saying that things are the same and even though there is no guarantee that I won't be asked for a medical I want to try and avoid it.
a welfare officer looked over what I wrote for this descriptor and because I have gone into detail and spoke about what happens in terms of severe anxiety when I'm out for example I had to abandon my shopping and leave the shop when I bumped into someone I know and I was severely distressed. Because of this the welfare officer said that I was moving into the territory of higher points descriptor is this right even though I'm saying I need prompting as well? and also risk them sending me for an assessment because could be interpretted for higher points that I can't complete a journey. Is this right?

she said that I should just say that I need prompting and not go into the other detail and examples if I don't want to go for a medical but Im concerned that if I don't give more/enough detail then they could send me for a medical anyway.

If I want to focus on just the prompting I need is it best not to focus on anything that happens when I'm out on my journey?

thank you
angelcake

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.