× Members

Help with boiler repair?

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #233620 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Help with boiler repair?
Hi Tess
We don't have expertise on grants for boilers. Certainly if you google several firms are saying that there is still a government scheme in 2019, but I cannot say whether these are reputable or if it is a genuine offer.

www.newboilergrant.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...s7pZ9HxoCCFEQAvD_BwE

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by BIS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #233628 by Kab
Replied by Kab on topic Help with boiler repair?
You could Contact your energy supplier, as previous suggestions, but nothing is free.

Our 7 year old boiler was condemned as beyond economical repair, which is ludicrous!
the replacement boiler was by a random company from 250 miles away, our breakdown cover deemed we use, was to cost us over £950 so the “replacement” was still at huge inflated cost. Told them to keep it.

We made contact with a local gas engineer He was able to source the part and make a repair. So we had working boiler, he also quoted for a decent boiler (compared to the Condemned boiler)
Meanwhile we cut back and saved every penny to enable us to have the local guy supply and fit the decent for under the replacement cost previously quoted and we have brilliant aftercare.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236259 by Tess
Replied by Tess on topic Help with boiler repair?

Tess wrote: Well the offer seems to be rubbish. The company said I had to have underfloor insulation done. I cannot ole with having all my floors ruined or afford to fix them again. So the free boiler then became £800 without the floor insulation.
Gary can I get some more info on which companies are genuine and reputable or where to get further advice please.

It all just seems like a scam to get money out of me and I just haven’t got any short of money. It’s been really disappointing to have gotten my hopes up then find out the boiler isn’t free at all.

Just to update everyone as I felt there might be useful information others could access from my experience.
I’ve been informed by NPower the ‘ free ‘boiler scheme is “not based on the benefits you get or your financial situation but on the size and type of property “
If you have a larger property and a family the contribution from the government will be substantially more than someone living alone in a small home.
However, I just wanted to share with people that NPower have a Health Trough Warmth scheme and they have given me £600 toward the cost of replacement provided I go through their scheme. The overall cost of my contribution is £1303.06 (by no means free) I have managed to source the rest of the money through charities.
Just thought I’d let others know about the health through warmth scheme in case anyone is in the same position.

Thanks

Tess

More
4 years 7 months ago #236274 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Help with boiler repair?
Hi Tess

Thanks for sharing the information and I'm glad you were able to source the money so you can have the new boiler you need.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 years 1 week ago #269200 by MindDisaster
Replied by MindDisaster on topic Help with boiler repair?
Hi, well, if you have 400 pounds, you can try to find services that can fix your boiler for 400 pounds and not 450; what's the problem? I would sell your boiler and buy a combi boiler because it is much more efficient, and paying for its services is much less than for a conventional boiler.

More
2 years 1 week ago #269222 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Help with boiler repair?
Hi MindDisaster

You are following on from a post that is 2.5 years old so the information may no longer be correct on the posts.

Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.