× Members

Does nobody care when assessors make up lies?

More
3 years 9 months ago #249319 by denby
I have heard from someone who has very significant experience supporting PIP claims that if you have once won at appeal you will always be treated with particular hostility in later reviews and re-claims. Certainly fits our family experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #249321 by denby
.. and of course Skyblue is totally correct, always record your F2F. I would add, take a supporter, not necessarily a family member but a person who can come across as quite formal, detached and imposing, while supporting you and dealing with the taping for you.
Make sure you have gone through all the descriptors and material from this site and your copies of the form and evidence you submitted with your supporter days beforehand too, so you are both familiar with all of it.
This way they will be equipped to call order if the assessor misbehaves, skips key evidence, etc
Both of you should have notepads and pens and spare pens, assuming claimant can write. You don't necessarily have to write anything but it saves you trying to remember if something pops into your mind. And you can note things the assessor says and does or does not do, useful later during the assessment and along with the audio. [for example, claiming the person could do actions during the physical exam that they were not even asked to try]. Just want all to benefit from our experiences!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Statham

More
3 years 9 months ago #249346 by admail@aglarond.co.uk
Replied by admail@aglarond.co.uk on topic Does nobody care when assessors make up lies?
Denby - it is interesting what you say as my experience would appear to back it up.

On my DLA to PIP assessmenton 2017 I went to a Mandatory Reconsideration which was successful. In my review assessment in January of this year I had two people turn up for my F2F. The HP who we were told was coming the day before was there but it was the other person who carried out the assessment. It wasn't explained at the time why but when I complained to IAS and asked why this had been changed I was told - in writing that:
"The HP was originally assigned to do the consultation but it was noted she had previously assessed Mr Hogan, and after that consultation a complaint was raised. This was only brought to the attention of management the day before. The Clinical Support Lead agreed to do the consultation as a learning tool, rather than cancel the consultation and cause further issues."
I then asked in response:
“Is it standard practice that any claimant who successfully complains about their report, asks for mandatory reconsideration or goes to appeal will have their next assessment completed by a CSL?
If it is standard practice then should this be considered a ‘punishment’ for successfully highlighting problems with the assessment process?
If it isn’t standard practice then why was it done in this case?
Presumably the HP has been carrying out assessments since the claimant’s in 2017. What was the HP specifically observing? What was she being shown?”
In their ‘last” reply IAS now claimed only that: “In this instance the HP was not comfortable in assessing due to notification of a previous tribunal therefore the CSL took it over to avoid a cancellation.”
They didn’t give direct answers to the other questions raised.
I had thought from when the assessment finished that there was something strange going on and said to others I thought it was a ‘set-up’ and when I saw the report my fears were proved correct. I got a copy of the report within days of the assessment and complained about the report to IAS directly. I had time to get a reply, reply to that and then get their last reply before my DWP decision arrived. I copied the DWP into all my replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Dan Statham

More
3 years 9 months ago #249398 by denby
Interested, thanks, did you record this assessment, and have you had the outcome yet?
Denby

More
3 years 9 months ago #249407 by admail@aglarond.co.uk
Replied by admail@aglarond.co.uk on topic Does nobody care when assessors make up lies?
I didn't record it. I had a confirmation of diagnosis letter from a Psychiatrist which arrived after the assessment but before the decision. When I eventually got my decision letter the decision maker had basically ignored most of the 'recommendations' from the assessment.
I've complained to IAS twice and I'm putting together my complaint to the Independent Case Examiner. I've been fortunate and I'm aware that very many people aren't as fortunate as I've been. Which is why I'm following this through as far as I can!
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.