× Members

PIP: initial claim by post update

More
3 years 8 months ago #250373 by ELEANOR
PIP: initial claim by post update was created by ELEANOR
Several months ago I posted regarding my daughter who had written to the DWP at the beginning of January to start a claim by post. The DWP's website states that this can be done and gives the address. After phoning myself and also involving her MP I was finally sent the forms ( two sent separately with several weeks in between) to complete on her behalf and the second was received by the DWP on May 13. After further phone calls by me to both DWP and IAS and by her MP to both she has a telephone assessment tomorrow. She will be alone as her boyfriend is working and my husband and I live 150 miles away. The letter informing her of the assessment told her that they would phone MY number and not even my current number but a previous number. I have updated both DWP and IAS on my new number. They sent a text informing her of the assessment to HER number so she assumes they will phone her on the correct number. I have asked her to phone them just in case but she is terrified of making and receiving phone calls (she has Asperger's and OCD) and they would not accept the update from me. I asked IAS if they could please make a paper assessment but they refused. After tomorrow I will update this forum further but I think they did the same to me when I was to have a telephone assessment i.e. sent a letter giving my old number as the number they would call and then sent a text to my new number. My husband believes that they do this deliberately to make people phone them or to make people anxious. Do you know of other instances where this has been done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #250375 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP: initial claim by post update
Hi irisheyes

"My husband believes that they do this deliberately to make people phone them or to make people anxious. Do you know of other instances where this has been done?"

I am not aware of it myself, but other members of the forum may know otherwise.

Good luck for daughter tomorrow and let us know the outcome.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

More
3 years 8 months ago #250380 by Evelyn
Replied by Evelyn on topic PIP: initial claim by post update
I received my telephone assessment letter from Capita (mine was for a reassessment) , it quoted my mobile number which I had written on my review form. I also got a reminder quoting the same number, and a text reminding me they would call. Whilst (as always) I was nervous about the call, the Health professional was both friendly and professional. Whilst it is probably too late for you now, my first letter did say a 3 way call could be arranged if needed. My call was about 20 minutes late, after 10 minutes I called Capita on the number on the letter (on a different phone) and they explained the health professional was running late. She was most apologetic when she called. Make sure your daughter gets a copy of her assessment. I did and have to say it was accurate . I felt the phone call was much nicer than the assessments I have had in the past. Hope all goes well
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR, Gary

More
3 years 8 months ago #250401 by ELEANOR
Replied by ELEANOR on topic PIP: initial claim by post update
Half an hour after her assessment was due to begin my daughter received a phone call to tell her that her assessment was cancelled as there was no healthcare professional available. It has been rescheduled for August 27th. I have emailed her MP, marking the email urgent, and begged her to phone IAS and to insist that a paper assessment is carried out. I will also write to the DWP as advised by this forum.

More
3 years 8 months ago #250402 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP: initial claim by post update
Hi Irisheyes

I'm sorry that your daughter (and yourself) has been put through so much stress. Hopefully, your MP will agree to try and intervene.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR

More
3 years 8 months ago #250412 by denby
Replied by denby on topic PIP: initial claim by post update
For a person with Asperger's and OCD, this in my personal opinion amounts to 'cruel and unusual treatment'. It may be worth when you are contacting either assessors, DWP or MP or others who may help, referring to the Disability Discrimination Act under which I believe Asperger's/ Autism is a Protected Characteristic. People with these conditions need predictability to provide stability in their lives and should not be subjected to late cancellations plus late notification. I can only say, could your daughter or her boyfriend or you make diary type notes of the stress effects this caused?; these could be useful evidence in future, even for the new assessment. Also, if you aren't able to get a paper assessment, at least get a 3 way call if you can. It is also legit to have someone taking notes as long as you inform the assessor.
My husband has Asperger's and my sister OCD so my sympathies from some understanding.
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: ELEANOR, Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.