× Members

Mobility activity - PIP

More
3 years 6 months ago #252272 by KPPurple
Mobility activity - PIP was created by KPPurple
Hi
I read through the guidance on mobility activities and am confused with how to answer it. I. have an telephone assessment coming up.
I am a long cane user and use this for familiar journeys for example to the library or post office by walking along the route that I was taught by my rehab worker. However, I would have difficulty being able to see roadworks, A-boards, cyclists, speed of traffic or it the green man is flashing. The cane helps me follow a route safely which I'll be saying in the assessment.

For unfamiliar journeys I'm really confused by this as unfamiliar journeys can also be journeys just be walking without the need for public transport and some unfamiliar journeys can involve using public transport and walking. For unfamiliar journeys it would depend on if It was an unfamiliar route I'd be doing all the time .eg. to a new workplace or for a one-off visit somewhere eg. a restaurant with friends etc. I would be able to plan the route using an app on my phone to look up the bus time table and bus number. However, I would need help from someone once at the bus station to find the bus platform and ensure I got on the right bus, but I wouldn't know where to get off unless someone told me, for example, the bus driver. If after I got of the bus the journey involved walking I would need to use a taxi as I would be unable to safely follow an unknown route in terms of not being able to see a sat nav to know where to go or in low light conditions I would get lost and anxious. If I was going to frequently go on the unfamiliar journey I would then need the route taught to me. Although, in the paper form I said that I use the cane for both familiar and unfamiliar routes as I thought unfamiliar journeys meant journeys you are unfamiliar with but would then need to learn,

The other question regarding the assessment. My eye condition means I am affected by glare, difficulty seeing in low or bright light. This means I have difficulty with blurred vision, reading things, colour contrast, making eye contact with people. I wouldn't say I have good or bad days as the eye condition and it's affects are based on lighting conditions which can change throughout the day. My condition doesn't flucate or vary by good or bad days, but I don't know how to get this across correctly to the assessor, is what I've said sound ok?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #252308 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility activity - PIP
KPPurple

Don't overly complicate the requirement, can you get to a destination you have never been to before if given instructions on how to do so?

As a second exercise and more in relation to your following a route to a familiar destination, can you do this reliably on the majority of days?

Your post suggests that you are not totally blind, you need to be very clear in your answers (no pun intended) about your limitations as those assessing you may assume more capability than you have.

Whilst we have previously seen claimants fail to score where they were unable to use Public Transport, as it is not specifically referred to in the legislation, a recent UTT Decision has significantly strengthened the case for this to be considered, so any problems you would have with this should be documented.

You mention several issues with using Public Transport and that is a good place to start, be aware, a taxi does not count and only a satellite navigation system specifically designed for the disabled will be considered.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #252315 by KPPurple
Replied by KPPurple on topic Mobility activity - PIP
Hi Gordon
Unfamiliar journeys
How would the instructions be presented and what would the assessment provider be assessing me on? If I can follow walking instructions by looking at a map?
Yes, I could get to unfamiliar place I have never been to before if it involves public transport and would be able to look up this information up on the local bus app on my phone. But, I guess my confusion lies with is it just about going from A to B using public transport only or does it include walking in an unfamiliar place?
The issues I have using public transport in an unfamiliar place would be once at the bus station knowing what platform, if there any changes to the platform and finding where to go, knowing where its safe to cross the road, being able to see the bus number when it pulled in and finding the ticket kiosk. Once on the bus I would need the bus driver to let me know when to get off at my destination.

Familiar journeys
Again does this include just using public transport and/or walking?
I could get to familiar places I know on a reliable basis on the majority of days with the use of a long cane. However, I do experience issues with glare, low light, depth of kerbs, speed of traffic and reduced perphial vision meaning I wouldn't see people on the pavement on my left side., Without the use of a long cane I wouldn't be able to find steps/kerbs and issues with low light and reduced perphial vision ensures I am able to find these obstacles.
Is that on the right lines? or am I completely wrong?

More
3 years 6 months ago #252336 by Gordon
KPPurple

Forgive me but you are making this far more complicated than you need to.

So keeping it simple, first address the issue of walking from A to B for a familiar and unfamiliar journey. Can you make these journeys and if not why not?

If you can't walk from A to B reliably then it does not matter whether you can use Public Transport.

If you can walk from A to B on a familiar journey but not an unfamiliar one then consider whether using bus or train would prevent you from completing a familiar route.

Explain the difficulties that you have walking outside and the ones that you would have using a bus or train as an explanation of why you cannot make a journey reliably.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #252352 by KPPurple
Replied by KPPurple on topic Mobility activity - PIP
The issues with a familiar journey would be speed of traffic and being able to detect changes such as road works or cars parked on pavement which would mean going to other side of the road. My sight condition means I am affected by glare and in low light.Once at the bus station I would need assistance from the bus staff if there was a change to the bus platform or time as I wouldn’t be able to see these changes on the announcement board.

For unfamiliar journeys I would have difficulty knowing where it’s safe to cross the road, depth of kerbs or steps, changes in route and knowing where to get off bus.
I think what confused me is when I read the pip dwp guidance and it mentions being able to plan and navigate a route. With regards to planning a route when I last applied for pip I got marked down for saying that I use an local bus app to know what bus to get, without the use of an app I would have to rely on announcement boards or bus station notice boards which I would be unable to read.
The use of a long cane ensures I can detect obstacles and safely navigate around in a reliable manner,
With regards to pip and mobility do you have to complete the journey successfully to score points or can I outline the issues I have with journeys?

More
3 years 6 months ago #252353 by Gordon
KPPurple

If you can't complete the journey on the majority of days then you should score points.

Planning a journey is completely separate from you following a route. I would argue that using an app that is not designed for disabled people does not count as an appropriate aid and should not be considered.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.