× Members

Mobility activity - PIP

More
3 years 6 months ago #252358 by KPPurple
Replied by KPPurple on topic Mobility activity - PIP
Yes, thats correct i would be unable to complete the journey without the use of a long cane and will be outlining the difficulties with doing so.
With regards to planning a route my definition of what is knowing what bus to ge t and what time.
I was reading up on a 2019vtribunal for pip which outlined that the guidance says by publictransport but that the legislation does not say that and that other modes should be taken into consideration eg walking,driving or private hire vechile. Whether this will be changed in future remains unknown- it was very interesting reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #252372 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility activity - PIP
KPPurple

You said

"I would be unable to complete the journey without the use of a long cane"

You won't score for using a long cane, it's about whether you can follow a route or not and the above is saying that you can!

The UTT Decision you are referring to requires the use of Public Transport to be considered, it does not exclude walking and driving from being looked at.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 6 months ago #252380 by KPPurple
The guidance on d and f says cannot follow route without an orientation aid. Which I thought meant if I couldn't follow a route without an orientation aid I'd score points.
Familiar journeys: I couldnt follow the route if there were diversions e.g. roadworks, foothpath diversions, cars on pavement or change of bus.
Unfamiliar journeys: I couldnt see to plan where to go, know where to get off bus or know where its safe to cross road.

For familiar and unfamiliar journeys can I say that I use a long cane to detect obstacles and to navigate to find kerbs etc?

Wil they ask about how many times i encounter these obstacles and how often i go on familiar journeys or unfamiliar journeys?

More
3 years 6 months ago #252381 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility activity - PIP
KPPurple

Yes, they will ask about how you will manage obstacles and how often you follow a familiar or unfamiliar roue. The test is how you are limited on the majority of days.

Scrub what I said about the cane, I was thinking of the criteria for Moving Around not Going Out, goes to show that it is always worth reading the guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KPPurple

More
3 years 6 months ago #252385 by KPPurple
The other question I have and which might throw a spanner in the works.
I commenced my long cane training in a different area to where I now live and which I know well. I started long cane training as my vision had become worse during the day and at night. My rehab worker assisted me with becoming familiar with the routes e,g. Going to the supermarket in my new area. Before starting long cane training I was unable to detect changes and would fall. I still encountered difficulties with these routes E,g, bus platform changes , road work or footpath changes.Don’t know if this shows familiar and unfamiliar journeys?!
However, if dwp are taking unfamiliar journeys as somewhere I’ve never been before and how I’d work out where to go, I was unable to do so, where it’s safe to cross road, find a bus platform as I can’t see notice boards.

More
3 years 6 months ago #252389 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Mobility activity - PIP
Hi KPPurple

You need to explain the issues you have as you have below, you state before you started long cane training you were unable to detect changes and would fall, do you still fall? Do you need someone with you when going to unfamilar places?

Remember you have to paint a picture in words as to how your disabilities affect you, your assessor or decision maker do not know you, so will make assumptions if there are gaps in your description.

So you need to explain what you can or can not do, how you are limited and why.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: KPPurple

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.