× Members

Esa awaiting group

More
3 years 4 months ago #253052 by Sunshine99
Esa awaiting group was created by Sunshine99
Hi
I’ve been ill health retired at age 47 never claimed benefits and finding this confusing. I have been assessed as unfit to work and claim my nhs pension ( which isn’t a lot ) and I’ve claimed contributory esa in April. I am still waiting to be put in a group. I called DWP last month and they have said I am waiting on a face to face assessment but they cannot tell me how long it will be and it may not be before March and I’m not the only person . I would have thought if I was assessed and I’ll health retired from my job then I would have been placed in the support group ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #253075 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa awaiting group
Sunshine

I'm afraid it's not that simple, your ill health retirement does not entitle you to any award of ESA, just because you were deemed unfit to continue working in the NHS does not mean that you are not capable of doing some other form of employment elsewhere.

ESA has specific criteria that you will need to meet for an award, see our ESA/UC CLaim guide for details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
3 years 4 months ago #253202 by Sunshine99
Replied by Sunshine99 on topic Esa awaiting group
Thank you
I just find it difficult to understand that if I was fit for work I would be doing my original job or redeployed within the trust to a more suitable role on much more reduced hours but I can’t with my health conditions. Can I ask is it normal to wait this long 8 months and still not be assessed for a group or is it due to covid ?
Thanks

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #253210 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa awaiting group
Sunshine

I'm afraid the resources available to do assessments are significantly less than what is needed to deal with the number of claimants needing assessment. At one point claimants were waiting more than a year, waiting times had reduced at the beginning of the year but have begun to increase again.

Have you contacted Maximus, you may be able to arrange an assessment yourself.

www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

I understand your problems reconciling what I said in my last post, you need to park your thoughts about whether you are fit for work or not.

Whilst it might seem counter-intuitive ESA does not directly consider whether you are unfit for work it assesses your ability to complete a number of activities, your ability to do so then results in a Decision on whether you are fit or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sunshine99

More
3 years 4 months ago #253217 by BennyFit
Replied by BennyFit on topic Esa awaiting group

Sunshine99 wrote: Hi
I’ve been ill health retired at age 47 never claimed benefits and finding this confusing. I have been assessed as unfit to work and claim my nhs pension ( which isn’t a lot ) and I’ve claimed contributory esa in April. I am still waiting to be put in a group. I called DWP last month and they have said I am waiting on a face to face assessment but they cannot tell me how long it will be and it may not be before March and I’m not the only person . I would have thought if I was assessed and I’ll health retired from my job then I would have been placed in the support group ?

Hi
The problem you might face is dependent on what Tier you were assessed at for your pension. If you got tier 2 then the nhs deemed you unfit to work until 65. If the DWP find you capable of work and you have to get a job then you will revert to tier 1.
The nhs will accept you are incapable and palm you off but the DWP will test if you can answer a phone or move 1 metre then you are more then capable to work etc
Can I ask what tier they put you on?

More
3 years 4 months ago #253232 by Sunshine99
Replied by Sunshine99 on topic Esa awaiting group
Hi yes I was given tier 2 based on my health issues that have occurred over past 3 years and the evidence from consultants supplied they felt that I would be unable to carry out a job in any role to be fair I’m apt to agree .

How can I be reverted to tier 1 ?

If I’m not put in the support group I’m not entitled to any money. I get contributory esa at present and to be fair my tier 2 pension isn’t great as I haven’t paid in that long but it’s better than nothing . If I could work I would be doing my job as a midwife or a different role on minimal hours but I guess DWP decide on a tick box lol

Thanks in advance for advice

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.