× Members

Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.

More
3 years 2 months ago #254836 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Hello Pamela,

I completely agree with BIS about the letter from the GP, but I have come across the problems you having with them refusing do anything other than a standard print out. Indeed some are declining to do anything until the DWP directly contact them.

I would advise you to take whatever you can from your GP, another copy of your medication list, and add it to any written evidence you have that shows you have been referred to the mental health team. Appointment letters, details about therapies they are offering you etc, it all goes towards building up a picture which says that you are telling the truth, and it is not reasonable for them to insist on a phone assessment.

If you are able to, I would also include a note from yourself explaining how the stress of a phone assessment will mean that you will not be able to present the assessor with an accurate description of the effects your condition(s) have on you. (If all else fails this will help support a later MR or appeal!) If it applies, I would also include the fact that Covid restrictions mean that you may not be able to have an appropriate person with you to give support.

I wish you success,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #254840 by OUTLANDER
Replied by OUTLANDER on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Dear Ladies. Thankyou so much.
I'll contact my GP surgery tomorrow ...

More
3 years 2 months ago #254903 by OUTLANDER
Replied by OUTLANDER on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Hi .
I spoke to my GP secretary today and explained what letter I needed regarding my mental health and she was unsure - she'll check with my GP and let me know. I didn't think it would be so difficult to arrange - if at all. I also spoke with PIP assesment services and it appears they have not requested any paperwork from my GP prior to my phone assesment. I've sent then the summary report and supporting documents from consultants.

More
3 years 2 months ago #254904 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Hi Pamela

GPs are rarely contacted before a claimant's assessment despite what it says on the paperwork. GPs are often reluctant to give letters, it depends really on the relationship you have with your GP and how willing they are to help. Unfortunately, they are not obliged to write a letter and many will assume whatever a person's difficulties they can manage a phone call.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 years 2 months ago #254920 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Hi Pamela, BIS is absolutely right when he says DWP rarely contact doctors before assessments. As I understand it they would have to pay them so it's cheaper not to; also if the GP's info might make an award more justified, if they didn't know it's easier for them to make a lower or no award.
I hope you can get the backing you need. In any case if either you or someone close to you can compile a diary, this can be a powerful piece of evidence. Eg our daughter has such bad Chronic fatigue that I compiled a diary of my trying to phone or text her and her replies/frequent failure to reply, compared to how chatty she would be if she were well.
Regards, Denby

More
3 years 2 months ago #254949 by BennyFit
Replied by BennyFit on topic Mental Health and PIP phone assessment.
Psquared
The equality act is already in place as its the DWP helping disabled people supposedly. You need to show what you need help with, like dressing.
Remember that the equality act isn't just there for disability like the DDA was, it covers all protected characteristics.
An example would be you can't claim your pension until you are 65 but age is covered under the equality act so someone who is 44 could try to claim equal rights, but it doesn't work like that.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.