× Members

ESA to Universal Credit

More
3 years 1 month ago #257019 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic ESA to Universal Credit
Hi Mikey,

You did not mention in your original post in this thread that you were moving house, which potentially changes the situation.

I have found the thread which you have posted before, so you can check on the answers which Gordon gave you, which, to be clear, I agree with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum/10-dla-e...3386-esa-moving-home

If you have any further questions please do come back to us.
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #257413 by Logan2
Replied by Logan2 on topic ESA to Universal Credit
Hi Mikey, just seen your reply, your quite right it is none of my business, but like you say the mods on here do it of their free time and .... geez people like me chirp in every now and then to lend a helping hand if i have an answer to help someone like you its called a community, i was not trying to be cheeky but like i say people now have a lot on there plates so am pretty sure the mods on here are grateful for any help in helping others. ps sorry for this late reply. Logan.

More
3 years 1 month ago #257420 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA to Universal Credit
Hi Logan2

You are quite right, this forum is a community where forum members can help each other, as moderators we try to help but we do not know everything and we do get asked some strange questions at times. We will post questions even if we do not know the answer hoping someone in the community may know the answer.

Some posts will not get a reply straight away, if you post to the forum after 9:30 pm on a Friday you maynot get a reply until the following Monday afternoon. Some mods will sometimes look in over the weekend and may answer a few posts but that is not guaranteed.

I personally learn from what members post, we do have a number of members who post quite regularly giving other members encouragement, when I come across such posts I will thank them to show that I appreciate their input.

We are always grateful for any help we receive, it is part of the community spirit. I moderate because I hope that my input will make a difference and encourage members not to give up and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I see the difference that a bit of encouragement can make on a claimants life when they are successful with their claim.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Logan2

More
3 years 1 month ago #257443 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic ESA to Universal Credit
Hi

I’m ignoring the other post mentioned by Catherine concerning your moving house which obviously suggests you may be in a position where you have to deal with DWP which under certain circumstances may involve a move to UC as Gary has pointed out, your current post suggest you may want to move to UC as a choice. I’m sure plenty of people would advise against such a move if you can avoid it.

I don’t see any reason why somebody (not necessarily you) may choose to switch to UC. I realise that the use of the word ‘transfer’ may be key. You cannot ‘transfer’ by choice as I’m sure Gary and Catherine would agree. But you can switch pretty easily if you are not too bothered about losing some of your benefit income.

Take me: I’m getting ESA support but don’t want to go through another ESA assessment. I’m prepared to tolerate a PIP assessment as I think it is worth the effort as once you’ve gone through MR and appealed you might get something as there are a few combinations ranging from nothing to enhanced in both with half a dozen outcomes in between. No longer have a support worker to take me. Will not be going on my own as if I tried it that’s pretty much game over for my ESA claim as attending on your own with mental health problems is likely zero points in all but the exceptional cases. So by not attending I will lose ESA (no doubt after a bit of two and fro between me, Atos, and the jobcentre. Up shot of all of this is eventually I’ll say close my claim down. At which point I can (if I want and I hope I won’t need to) apply for UC. Voila!

It’s probably not relevant to your scenario as I’m sure you would prefer to stay on ESA as would anyone but the choice is open to anyone who has simply had enough of the ESA process to walk away from it.

The only thing that concerns me about UC is the stupidity of expecting you to spend 35 hours a week looking for work. It’s doable but with someone who has mental health issues it may not be appropriate.

What I intend to do is wait until I get the ESA assessment form and then approach the jobcentre and see if they can help me into work. Permitted work in the first instance as I will still be on ESA at that point. This will give me little motivation in wanting to remain on ESA. Obviously all this assumes that my condition hasn’t worsened when the time comes but even if it is still the same I don’t want to continue with it anymore. COVID in a way has made the process a bit easier what with the telephone assessments and thankfully it was a lifeline for me as going to any appointment even sitting in a waiting room is tough for me. It’s given me a bit more time. It’s getting harder to get these benefits and I think it makes sense to prepare for the inevitability of coming off at some point. Look at skills that interest you and get ready for when you have no choice but to get work rather than UC. Even a skill that lets you work from home. Unfortunately I’m struggling to find something. Looked at proofreading but it is much more difficult than it looks.

Anyway, this might be my last post as I think I joined this time last year. Can’t remember exact date does not appear on profile. I don’t think there is likely to be anything else I need to ask before it ends. But I would like to thank the mods and others who have responded to my questions. Just wish I had found this forum much sooner.

P.S. Can I keep the PDF’s after my subscription ends for my personal use? I appreciate they might be out of date but I’m sure they will still have plenty of information that I can use (mainly for PIP).

Thanks again.

Mark

More
3 years 1 month ago #257449 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic ESA to Universal Credit
Hi Mark

Thank you for your post, yes you can keep any PDF's that you download.

If you move house to another local authority area and you do not have to apply for housing benefit then you do have a choice to stay on legacy benefits or move on to UC. I would always recommend doing a better off calculations with one of the online benefit calculators gov.uk/benefits-calculators

If you have signed up for the free newsletter, you will still receive these, if you no longer want to receive this, just click on the unsubscribe link on the newsletter.

Gary

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark

More
3 years 1 month ago #257486 by Headley
Replied by Headley on topic ESA to Universal Credit

Mark wrote: Hi

I don’t see any reason why somebody (not necessarily you) may choose to switch to UC.

Mark

Mark,
There is a huge reason some people, injured veterans in particular want to switch from ESA to Universal Credit.

Namely that under ESA there is only a £10 disregard of War Disablement Pensions, but under Universal Credit the whole basic War Disablement Pension is disregarded.

The difference can amount to over £140 per week in favour of the claimant.

However, if any War Pension additional supplementary allowances such as War Pensioners Allowance for Lowered Standard of Occupation (ALSO) is paid with the War Disablement Pension, be sure to get a manual calculation carried out by the Veterans Welfare Service or RBL Money as the on-line benefits calculators (and often the DWP) fail to differentiate between pre-April 2009 claimed ALSO and post-April 2009 claimed ALSO (the former is not counted in working out Universal Credit, but the latter is).

Thus, for injured veterans with a War Disablement Pension the online benefits checkers are invariably inaccurate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Catherine, Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.