× Members

ESA50 Wording

More
2 years 5 months ago #265291 by WF2K
ESA50 Wording was created by WF2K
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and I was wondering if someone could possibly help me with wording certain things correctly for the ESA50. I have mixed mental and physical health problems so I find it difficult trying to fill forms in without getting anxious, stressed and annoyed.

The assessment centre were going to do an assessment based off a 4 year old ESA50 which I wasn't happy with, they have now said I can do an up to date one, however, both times that I have asked for help with my ESA50 the people filling the form in for me have either not given enough info or worded the form oddly.

One of them thought that because they put a lot of info under "About your disabilities, illnesses, or health conditions" that they wouldn't need to put as much when answering the questions, that's not what I've read, I've read you are supposed to answer each question with a proper explanation. I have emailed her about it but I thought it might be worth me trying to add info to the questions where she's not explained things properly. For behaving appropriately she wrote one sentence and that was it..

I'll obviously try and use the guide but as I'm not great at reading due to poor concentration and attention span, I thought I'd ask on here if someone could tell me if my wording is ok or not.

Someone said you should give irl examples but I don't have irl examples for everything.

I hope I've made sense, my anxiety is pretty bad and I find it hard posting on forums and such.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265338 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic ESA50 Wording
Hi W2FK,
Welcome to our forum. I appreciate that reading the guides may not be easy for you, but they do give some very helpful hints about all things to do with forms!
I will have to give general advice as I don't know your specific health issues.
If you can't do something say 'I can't do X' to begin with if you start trying to explain how you do or don't do the activity you will lose the decision maker's attention very quickly!
So...I can't do X because...then provide a simple explanation that includes all the favets of your disability or illness. Give examples of when things have gone wrong. Dont assume because you have explained about your illness under the first descriptor that the decision maker will apply the same reasoning to the subsequent ones. Repeat, repeat repeat! Yes, you might be saying the same things a dozen times, but it doesn't matter.
Unfortunately these sorts of forms involve looking at everything you can't do, so it's quite a negative process, however you do need to be brutally honest. I know that disabled people manage. They sort of cope to do things and it takes a while and it may not look very elegant. Think about each descriptor activity. Ask yourself, can I really do this activity or do I struggle? If there was a fly-on-the-wall documentary about these activities, would the viewer think poor chap he really needs some help?
Also, think about any variability. The use of the word 'sometimes' is not helpful! If there is variation, say, eg 'for 4 days a week' or ,'it can vary due to fatigue' etc. Specify the cause if variation, or if unpredictable explain that too.
You can include background info on a separate page if you need to explain more about your illness, perhaps you want to explain eg a series of surgical operations or a decline in your health. You may also want to explain medication why you can or can't use something. Explain fatigue, and anxiety too. Again don't worry about repeating yourself. You may also want to provide background about the actual condition you have. Maybe quote from a relevant medical website or patient helpline website. So, if you have all 4 symptoms of eg X disease according to NHS website, say so, this may help show that your illness is more serious.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: WF2K

More
2 years 5 months ago #265340 by WF2K
Replied by WF2K on topic ESA50 Wording
Thank you :)

I should have explained what health conditions I have.

I have both diagnosed and undiagnosed health conditions, but I know it's not about diagnoses and I've been told to mention them on the form regardless.

My health conditions are, significant anxiety, agoraphobia, social anxiety, GAD, depression, panic disorder, complex ptsd and fibromyalgia, we are also thinking that I could be autistic but I don't know if my problems are more trauma related.

My concern is that I am really bad at explaining how my health conditions affect me, I get quite annoyed with myself tbh because I can't put things into words which then makes switch off and not want to bother.

More
2 years 5 months ago #265371 by denby
Replied by denby on topic ESA50 Wording
Dear WF2K, as you mention wondering if you may be autistic, please [maybe once you have dealt with the current form} look up the AQ50 on any sensible website.
Answering this will give you a very good idea, though females tend to score as it were lower than they should.
Depending where you live armed with a score of a certain minimum level you may be able to self refer for an official assessment though the wait can be years. But at least if you know, you can read up about it and get help from local or internet groups.
Your post about problems explaining then switching off certainly sounds to me like you could be right, a kind of sensory overload from frustration, my OH gets like that. [And he has an official diagnosis of Asperger's]
Hope this helps
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: WF2K, LL26

More
2 years 5 months ago #265378 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic ESA50 Wording
Hello WF2K,

You seem to have been given some good advice as to what to put on the form. Advisers have different levels of experience and time available to help people and whilst many are great I have seen the work of some which clearly fails the client.

Nobody appreciates and understands the difficulties you have with life and mobility better than you, and nobody is going to be more invested in getting your claim right than you are!

I would suggest that start off by ringing the DWP and asking fir a little extra time to complete the form - explain that it is in the nature of your condition that you can only do a small amount each day. Then set yourself small time slots to do just one section at a time so it does not become overwhelming.

I don’t know if you are aware the there are electronic pdf versions of the ESA 50 form available online. I find those easier to use than the paper ones - it is easier to edit when I have something else II want to add.

Although you say in your post that you struggle to explain yourself, you actually do a really good job! Have faith in yourself - I believe in you, and you should too.

Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: WF2K

More
2 years 5 months ago #265379 by WF2K
Replied by WF2K on topic ESA50 Wording
I've just reread your post and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, what if you don't have irl examples? For example, I'm very careful when walking about due to me having a nasty fall several years ago and fracturing my ankle, so when I'm inside my home, although do trip/stumble often, I have never fallen over, the only thing that I've fallen on are things like furniture, my home is a small bungalow so I have plenty of things that I can use for support, walls, doors, door frames etc so if I do feel unsteady, I usually manage to hold onto something. In regards to having accidents outside, I rarely go out due to my mental health conditions and mobility issues.

For PIP I was awarded 8 points for mobilising - can walk 20 meters but no more than 50 unaided.

I do use a stick when I go out but this causes the pain in my hands, arms and shoulders to become worse and I often get pins and needles.

The fact is that due to me having fibro and balance problems, I always have discomfort when walking no matter how far I walk, I just haven't had any falls, the only thing I do is bump into doors and door frames.

I'm currently waiting on an OT assessment and later today, my GP is doing an home visit, I've asked for a referral for my mental health and possible autism.

Denby - I have done an AQ10 and AQ50 and scored 8 and 37, I have an advocate from an Autistic organisation who as advised me of what to ask my GP for in regards to a referral. I have a home visit later with my GP, I've emailed prior to the appointment and asked for referrals to both mental health services and an autistic assessment.

I should have done this before but because the medical centre makes it so hard to ask them for help, I have been putting it off, plus someone I know who has and Autistic brother told me that there was really no point as an older female to have an assessment but clearly if my advocate is telling me otherwise, then there is.

Catherine - In regards to the ESA50, it's the assessment company allowing me to do an updated one, not the DWP, they were trying to assess me based of an ESA50 from 2017 which I never filled in and I feel doesn't fully explain my conditions and how they affect me. I have until the 15th to get the form done and in which I think should be ok as they've said I can email it to them along with a support letter from my son who is also my carer. Will the DWP need an updated copy or will the assessment company pass the info on?

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.