× Members

Advice from DWP adviser

More
13 years 5 months ago #32242 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
Doris wrote:

I wrote to the DWP and asked for their views. They failed to respond.

Now that is a surprise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rowland
13 years 5 months ago #32243 by rowland
Replied by rowland on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
It was a few years ago, but I was also advised by a disability employment adviser to lie about my mental health condition. I am not ashamed of my label, but neither do I blaze the way to end discrimination. I could not lie, it goes against my own values. At the time though the DDA was barely understood by disability advisers and the equality act didn't exist. Fact is if you do lie, you are not protected by the DDA. Now, you do not need to declare unless an offer of employment has been given. This does give those with disabilities greater ammunition to take prospective employers to tribunal if they blatently discriminate and withdraw the offer of employment once they are aware of your disability.

Ultimitely I definitely wouldn't lie - it isn't worth it, and would challenge anyone that directed me to do so.

More
13 years 5 months ago #32249 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
It's a criminal offence to intentionally give false information on a job application in order to improve you chances of getting the job. However, if you don't give yourself the best possible chance of getting the job you also fall foul of JSA rules.

Naturally, giving yourself the best possible chance should not involve dishonesty of any kind, but it is very worrying that some JCP staff do not understand this, as they have the power to suspend your JSA if they think differently.

• RachelPotter
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #32252 by RachelPotter
Replied by RachelPotter on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
Hi Derek, I have to admit, that is exactly whats worrying me regarding the future. It really does appear to be a catch 22 situation.

Also, I have heard for starters, that you have to apply for at least six jobs a week and you have to take evidence in of this fortnightly to JCP.

What if there aren't six jobs a week that you could apply for?

As I have said before, I am worrying a bit previosly as I haven't had my appeal yet, but I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can!

Thankyou everybody for your advice and support.

Best wishes,
Rachel

More
13 years 5 months ago #32255 by pamela
Replied by pamela on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
Jack 2121,
my boyfriend has uncontrolled epilepsy and i worry about him.I have made sure he as a carecall alarm,which though he's had a year or two as neverused during a seizure.He lives alone and as cluster seizures which last all day.I also make sure he takes his mobile phone with him when he goes out. I cannot be with him 24/7 and know he likes his independance.

I keep in touch by phone and when i was at work i was luckily enough to build up some flexitime in order that i was able take when he was ill.
I was open to my employer about my disabilities and caring issues.

I would never lie It's not worth it.

More
13 years 5 months ago #32259 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:Advice from DWP adviser
DepressedDerek wrote:

Doris wrote:

I wrote to the DWP and asked for their views. They failed to respond.

Now that is a surprise.

I've been awaiting a reply to my question regarding savings since 2002/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 & 2010 !

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.