I got DLA on first application.

no hideous medical like today.
cmarie
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 10 months ago #60022 by cmarie510
Replied by cmarie510 on topic Re:Laying down at an esa cross examination
Hello!

I had my first medical for my first application for ESA. This was yesterday. I was waiting in the car with the seat reclined for 1 hour.

After being called into the room and being watched the entire time I walked to the chair, I said hello and within a short period of time let the Dr. know that I would need to lie down as I had already sat too long.

Then he began to ask all the questions I was told he would ask. I think about 10 minutes in I announced I would be moving to the exam table, which I did. I stayed there until it came time for him to examine me. I rested after and then slowly got up to leave.

So, LAY DOWN IF YOU HAVE TO. I HAD to so I DID. Horrible experience; I am still feeling nauseous about it today.

Best of luck to everyone.

cmarie
  • Andy
12 years 10 months ago #60060 by Andy
cmarie510 wrote:

I said hello and within a short period of time let the Dr. know that I would need to lie down as I had already sat too long.
Then he began to ask all the questions I was told he would ask. I think about 10 minutes in I announced I would be moving to the exam table, which I did.

Well done, cmarie. But I am appalled that once you'd said you needed to lie down that the doctor did not immediately invite you to move to the couch. That's totally OUT OF ORDER. He was either an ignorant sod OR was waiting to see if you would insist. I'm not sure which is worse! :angry:

I'd say you had grounds for a complaint to ATOS - he kept you sitting for 10 minutes after you'd explained it was painful/exhausting/whatever. Only by your own actions did the situation improve. How could that be justified?

Did you have anyone with you who witnessed this and can corroborate the facts?

Andy.
  • ktandpete
12 years 9 months ago #61073 by ktandpete
Replied by ktandpete on topic Re:Laying down at an esa cross examination
where as Fibromyalgia continues to be a disputed diagnosis. Many members of the medical community do not consider fibromyalgia a disease because of a lack of abnormalities on physical examination, and the absence of objective diagnostic test ;) "touché[/quote]

I am quite new, but have had the benefit of your advice on here a couple of times already, and very welcome and appreciated it was too.

I just have to say that I was really genuinely upset to read the comments above about Fibromyalgia. I realise that poster was posting in response to something they felt was said without thought, and I am sure they were feeling cross at the time. However, I have Fibromyalgia and was sure that this forum would be a place where the familar accusations of Fibro not being real would not exist. Where there would be a level of understanding about physically debilitating conditions (regardless of the fact that some people still don't believe they exist)and no judgement. I have to deal with the accusations of imagining/making up my illness all the time, and I hoped that this forum would be a place I would feel safe from those kind of things.

I do apologise if you feel that this is a bit of a rant, and I do admit that it is probably a knee jerk response done whilst I am still feeling hurt. Never the less, I hope those who need to will recongnise the impact that words can have when vulnerable people are reading.

Katie xxx
  • originaldave
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #61081 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Laying down at an esa cross examination
ktandpete wrote:

where as Fibromyalgia continues to be a disputed diagnosis. Many members of the medical community do not consider fibromyalgia a disease because of a lack of abnormalities on physical examination, and the absence of objective diagnostic test ;) "touché

I am quite new, but have had the benefit of your advice on here a couple of times already, and very welcome and appreciated it was too.

I just have to say that I was really genuinely upset to read the comments above about Fibromyalgia. I realise that poster was posting in response to something they felt was said without thought, and I am sure they were feeling cross at the time. However, I have Fibromyalgia and was sure that this forum would be a place where the familar accusations of Fibro not being real would not exist. Where there would be a level of understanding about physically debilitating conditions (regardless of the fact that some people still don't believe they exist)and no judgement. I have to deal with the accusations of imagining/making up my illness all the time, and I hoped that this forum would be a place I would feel safe from those kind of things.

I do apologise if you feel that this is a bit of a rant, and I do admit that it is probably a knee jerk response done whilst I am still feeling hurt. Never the less, I hope those who need to will recongnise the impact that words can have when vulnerable people are reading.

Katie xxx

No need to apologise.

If you read the full thread and look at wink after it, you can see the context it was written ... that said sorry if it upset you :) this place is very safe and with mods that know there stuff its a good place to visit

All my disabilites are main stream so don't have to deal with the problem you talk of, that said one problem I have is one 99% of the people with is women having babies :silly: :silly: so clinic time is strange :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Crazydiamond. Reason: Quotation box correctly inserted.
  • Annubis
12 years 9 months ago #61083 by Annubis
Replied by Annubis on topic Re:Laying down at an esa cross examination
I have severe fibromyalgia amongst many other conditions (speialist said it was the worst ase he had seen in 20 years of him beo,ing a speialist) and I am so debilitated by it that I spend 90 percent of my life in bed and need a wheelhair. I must admit those comments upset me too, but as my dotor pointed out, the world health organisation has reognised it as a true medical condition since 1985 (as far as I remember)

He also reminded me that conditions such as MS were also believed be all in the mind before it was recognised. The issue is that the old school drs were taught that if a patient presents more than three symptoms then they are likely to be imagining it.

Thankdully they are not taught this any more, and fibromyalgia has become widely recognised as an actual medical condition in the last ten years, only the very old school docs use it as a waste paper diagnosis. Fibro is actually an umbrella term for a variety of medical conditioins, hence why it is a syndrome.

Please try not to get upset, just tell people that the world health organisarion recognises it, and if it is good enough for them, it should not be questioned by those who have no clue how this horrendous condition affects people.
Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.