× Members

Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels

• Peridot
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69538 by Peridot
Hello

The dreaded time when I expect to be getting the ESA50 has now arrived and in anticipation I have subscribed and obtained the necessary Guides from B and W. This is my first post and I have found what seems to be another area of ambiguity in the activities. The descriptor states that " absence or loss of control etc leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or bladder etc DESPITE the presence of any aids or adaptations normally used" My query is this - Is it a prerequisite that aids or adaptations are being used before this descriptor can apply, or can it apply where these are not in use such as in the case of having to plan one's life always to be near a toilet? I do not use any aids or adaptations but always have to plan my journeys and life to be near a toilet due to a tendency to soil and sphincter leak due to a anal fissure when breaking wind - would this be relevant to this descriptor ? Can anyone help as the language used does not appear clear. Thanks

Peridot :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
12 years 6 months ago #69541 by Survivor
I'd find it rather stretching the English language to describe a public toilet as an aid or adaptation.

• Peridot
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69544 by Peridot
Thanks Survivor - so am I correct in assuming that the pre-existing use of aids and adaptations is absolutely necessary for the application of this descriptor?

Peridot

• Survivor
12 years 6 months ago #69550 by Survivor
It says "normally used" so this isn't like the descriptor for mobilising where you can be assessed on the basis of using a notional wheelchair, this relates to aids and adaptations you actually use. But you don't have to be using any aids or adaptations for this descriptor to apply to you. If you have a problem with bowel/bladder control, you don't have to be using aids/adaptations to be able to score points.

• Peridot
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69552 by Peridot
Thanks again Survivor - that clears the matter up.

Peridot

More
12 years 6 months ago #69582 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels
That's interesting, Surviror. Since they'd invented the notional, or invisable wheelchair for mobilising, I was wondering if they'd also insist on the invisable, or notional incontinence pad; or even tell you that the problem would be solved if you were told to use such a pad.
We live and learn.
Cheers.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.