× Members

Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels

More
12 years 5 months ago #69636 by Gordon
The "Controlling your bowels and bladder and using a collecting device" test and its scoring is explained in detail in the ESA Claims on Physical Grounds guide from page 51 onwards.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rosered
12 years 5 months ago #69640 by Rosered
Well the following seems to suggest that you should be in the support group if you have bowel problems -

Absence or loss of control over extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or bladder, other than enuresis (bed-wetting) despite the presence of any aids or adaptations normally used.
(a) At least once a week experiences
(i) loss of control leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or voiding of the bladder; or
(ii) substantial leakage of the contents of a collecting device;
sufficient to require cleaning and a change in clothing.

More
12 years 5 months ago #69649 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels
Also, there is the problem of not being able to change your incontinence pants yourself. In my case it's impossible to do this without the help of a carer as the damage to my spine won't let me bend down and my arms and hands don't work reliably. So unless my carer changes the pants for me, it's a case of sitting in soilded pants until such time as a carer is available to help. Now that strikes me as 'compromising human dignity', which should count towards the required 15 points.

More
12 years 5 months ago #69657 by slugsta
To my mind, the word 'extensive' is very significant. I might be wrong, but I don't think this includes slight soiling or leakage.

NB - this comment is not 'aimed' at anyone who has already posted, just pointing it out.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
12 years 5 months ago #69671 by penthesili
Replied by penthesili on topic Re:Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels
I asked a medical friend of mine, she replied, 'total evacuation of bladder and/or bowel', which could be rather a lot for any device to manage.

More
12 years 5 months ago #69679 by slugsta
Indeed!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.