× Members

Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels

More
12 years 6 months ago #69610 by Porridge
I have heard about it being argued by the DWP that someone who regularly experiences incontinence SHOULD use padding (which would be regarded as an aid) to absorb accidental faecal discharge. However in such cases it is fair and reasonable to assert that this needs to be attended to immediately and extensive effort needs to be made straight away for a person to clean this mess up or be helped to do so.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peridot
  • Topic Author
12 years 6 months ago #69615 by Peridot
I agree Kate and particularly if it happens for instance in a car with passengers in as happened to me or you have a job like I had (solicitor)where it almost happened in court or in client interviews. The DWP seem to be putting the onus on the claimant to show why they were not using a collecting device or pad which to my mind reverses the normal burden of proof. Surely it should be down to the DWP to prove that it was reasonable for devices to have been worn at all times to deal with any leakages?.

Peridot

• deathvalleydemon
12 years 6 months ago #69616 by deathvalleydemon
Replied by deathvalleydemon on topic Re:Descriptor 9 - Control of Bladder and Bowels
my condition also means i have no control over my going to the toilet, it is a part of having fibromyalgia and my assessor didnt take it down and scored me 0 points in the section for this....

More
12 years 6 months ago #69618 by Porridge
In the matter of faecal incontinence, using an aid or not using an aid makes no difference at all, so in that respect incontinence pads are not like other aids. Whether you are wearing such an aid or not you require immediate access to a wash facility, clean clothing and careful washing.

Many people also suffer from skin sensitivity to either their own waste or to padding causing long-term soreness, itching and topical skin infections.

“There isn’t anyone who doesn’t appreciate kindness and compassion.” – Dalai Lama

• janbjan
12 years 6 months ago #69627 by janbjan
Hi
I'm also in the process of filling in my form going from income support to esa. When I came to this question it doesn't take any account of people who have to take direutics which I'm on quite a high daily dosage. Which I shall certainly be pointing out on the form as I can only go 15 to 20 minutes before urgently needing a toilet I do wear an incontinence pad when I go out. I carry spares and spare underwear. I have never been so emabarassed as when I had to attend a WFI at Jobcentre plus and they had no toilet they even wouldn't let use their staff toilet. I have very very poor mobility and it was quarter of a mile to nearest public toilet you can imagine what happened.I thought their actions was unacceptable. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but when your on a direuretic when you need to go you need to go.

• Rosered
12 years 6 months ago #69635 by Rosered
I beleive that you are supposed to get up to 15 points with problems relating to control of bladder and bowels. Although I have heard that if you were pads they seem to think the problem is solved but as someone earlier posted you do need to have access to some where private to wash after an incident. Wearing a soiled pad as well as smelling can cause skin and other problems.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere and I don't remember where I read it, but that they should also include the embarresment factor when assessing for bowel/bladder problems.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.