× Members

esa form time limit to send it back

• ScottishQuine
  • Topic Author
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #95516 by ScottishQuine
Replied by ScottishQuine on topic Re:esa form time limit to send it back
I've only read a little bit of your new esa guide, and immediately I understand why I got a phone call then was sent the change over forms, this seems to be the norm. I was quite worried about it as I'd unknowingly read your old wca advice guide and phone calls weren't mentioned.
I'm now worried that I may not have filled my form in correctly as had been following old advice.
Is there much difference between your old and new guides?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #95518 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:esa form time limit to send it back
ScottishQuine wrote:

I've only read a little bit of your new esa guide, and immediately I understand why I got a phone call then was sent the change over forms, this seems to be the norm. I was quite worried about it as I'd unknowingly read your old wca advice guide and phone calls weren't mentioned.
I'm now worried that I may not have filled my form in correctly as had been following old advice.
Is there much difference between your old and new guides?

There are quite a few differences between the two, however, the most obvious relates to the questions on the main section of the ESA50.

The old guides cover 21 questions whereas the new only does 17, whilst many of the questions are similar, some of the 21 do not exist now in the 17 (e.g. bending) and there are some that are new in the 17, those that are similar often have important changes ( e.g. walking vs mobilising).

The only thing you can do is look through your ESA50 and compare your answers to the current guide.

If you believe there are serious problems, then I would start again, create a new ESA50, send copies to ATOS and the DWP with a covering letter explaining what has happenred, and take a copy of the new ESA50 to any face to face assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• ScottishQuine
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #98030 by ScottishQuine
Replied by ScottishQuine on topic esa form time limit to send it back
Hi thank you for you past help. I received my letter on Sat 26th, it was dated tues 22nd. I've been put in Wrag without a medical.
I feel I should be in the support group. I know I only have 4 weeks to appeal but one week has already almost gone given the time it took letter to arrive.
I've spent most of the weekend reading through posts on here also the descriptors on how to fill in esa50 but nowhere could I find anything about people using power chairs, only manual ones,
When filling in esa50 I said I used a powerchair at times when my hands weren't too bad but still needed someone with me when I went out to help me cross roads etc.
I also said I used a manual chair when going to hospital, clinics and doctors appointments and again always need someone with me as I cannot move it myself as need somone to push me, also to help me in & out of chair, car, toilets etc etc.
I'm just wondering whether I was wrong to mention powerchair as at times I can mobilise myself but always need someone with me. I know you can't tell anyone what to do but I'm wondering if anyone else has had same experiences as me and whether I should appeal and try to get into support group. Thank you and apologies if this is too long a post .
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
11 years 2 months ago #98041 by MSCarer
Replied by MSCarer on topic Re:esa form time limit to send it back
Of course in reality you do not even have 4 weeks to reply because of the time it takes the form to arrive from them posting it and I bet the date that the form has to be returned by is always a Monday - which knocks off some more days that you have because of the weekend and so you really have to post the form by the Thurs/Fri whereas if the forms where to be returned for a Thursday then you could post them on the Tuesday.

This is why I would strongly advise anyone to start on the online ESA50 form now before they even contact you - do not wait!

More
11 years 2 months ago #98044 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa form time limit to send it back

ScottishQuine wrote: Hi thank you for you past help. I received my letter on Sat 26th, it was dated tues 22nd. I've been put in Wrag without a medical.
I feel I should be in the support group. I know I only have 4 weeks to appeal but one week has already almost gone given the time it took letter to arrive.
I've spent most of the weekend reading through posts on here also the descriptors on how to fill in esa50 but nowhere could I find anything about people using power chairs, only manual ones,
When filling in esa50 I said I used a powerchair at times when my hands weren't too bad but still needed someone with me when I went out to help me cross roads etc.
I also said I used a manual chair when going to hospital, clinics and doctors appointments and again always need someone with me as I cannot move it myself as need somone to push me, also to help me in & out of chair, car, toilets etc etc.
I'm just wondering whether I was wrong to mention powerchair as at times I can mobilise myself but always need someone with me. I know you can't tell anyone what to do but I'm wondering if anyone else has had same experiences as me and whether I should appeal and try to get into support group. Thank you and apologies if this is too long a post .

Only you can make the decision to appeal or not, but let me try and explain the mobilising test for you.

This tests two things; your ability to walk a distance and your ability to propel a manual wheelchair a distance. Your usage of a powered chair will not be considered as it does not form part of the test.

So to be placed in the support Group, you need to show that you can neither walk nor propel a manual wheelchair more than 50m. You may need to supply medical evidence to support any assertions you make in regard to the above.

If you decide to appeal, you need to be aware of the following

Is there any risk to challenging a decision?

How long do I have to appeal?

How to submit an appeal

Qualifying for the Support Group

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and reconsiderations

12 Month Limit for ESA(CB)

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

Just so you are aware, we will be producing updated guides for ESA, due to changes to the Regulations and Descriptors. Any appeal that you make, will be based on what are now the old Regs and Descriptors, so please make sure that you used the correct guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• ScottishQuine
  • Topic Author
11 years 2 months ago #98047 by ScottishQuine
Replied by ScottishQuine on topic esa form time limit to send it back
I probably didn't write enough info in my last post as to why I think I should be in support group but am aware this is a public forum and that I shouldn't put too much on it. I have several health problems, being incontinent as well and need to be physicaly helped on and off toilets also to change pads etc. I feel I couldn't possibly cope with this if I was to attend wfi's and mandatory work. I certainly wouldn't want strangers taking me to toilets :(

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.