× Members

DLA Renewal

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111410 by ka
DLA Renewal was created by ka
Hi,

I have today received a form from DWP to renew my DLA. I had assumed I'd be transferring to PIP but they have sent a DLA form. My current award expires mid-February 2014 so this has come early I think. Anyway, should I complete it as a matter of urgency or should I return nearer the end of my current award? Or, if they do not make a decision by the end of my current award will I stop receiving it at the end of the award even though they have made no decision?

I currently receive LRC and LRM, so I think a DLA renewal is to my advantage. I also think I have a better chance of getting MRC and LRM this time than previously.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #111413 by
Replied by on topic DLA Renewal

ka wrote: Hi,

I have today received a form from DWP to renew my DLA. I had assumed I'd be transferring to PIP but they have sent a DLA form. My current award expires mid-February 2014 so this has come early I think. Anyway, should I complete it as a matter of urgency or should I return nearer the end of my current award? Or, if they do not make a decision by the end of my current award will I stop receiving it at the end of the award even though they have made no decision?

I currently receive LRC and LRM, so I think a DLA renewal is to my advantage. I also think I have a better chance of getting MRC and LRM this time than previously.

Hi k,

DLA renewal packs can be sent out around 4 months before the end of a fixed term award, so yours' might be a tad early.

You would have only been assessed under PIP, if your current fixed term DLA award would have ended on or after 17/03/14. :

PIP Timetable Chart

Have a look at :

When should I send my renewal form back?

The relevant claims guides are at the head of this page :

DLA Guides

See also : DLA FAQ’s

&

DM Guide DLA & AA

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

bro58
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

More
10 years 7 months ago #111514 by ka
Replied by ka on topic DLA Renewal
Well I have started the laborious process of form filling today. This is just off the back of completing an ESA50. I am stressed and fatigued and depressed. I recently tried an attempt to work which was a disaster and am returning to uni on Monday following two years intercalation due to mental health. These forms have landed at a bad time for me following my recent mental health crisis but what can I do.

This is a huge pressure for me as as a student I am only eligible for housing benefit if I am in receipt of DLA so I really need to get this. It also makes it a tricky judgment about when I return the form as my award expires mid Feb so need it in so a decision (hopefully awarding it) is made before then, but obviously if I hand it in soon and they remove my award, it is sooner that I am losing all my benefits. My welfare advisor at uni has suggested late November as the optimum submission date. It tricky to judge as obviously she has not dealt with any DLA claims recently.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112267 by ka
Well, we decided just to send it off just to ensure it gets done before the expiry of my current award. Was a feeling that with Christmas coming up that could delay things, and I'd seen someone on this forum got a text saying it could take up to 13 weeks.

Anyway, I got a text off them on 17th October and they said it could take up to 8 weeks to reach a decision on my claim. My advisor said it was a good application, tons of supporting evidence, detailed DLA form, 3 statements from people who know me and help with my care. But we shall see. I know I will be devastated if I do not qualify.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #112518 by ka
They received my form on 16th October. On Saturday I received a letter dated 24th October with a decision. They are changing my award to Highest Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility (I was on lower rates for both before). I am naturally over the moon. The gamble to send off the form early has worked.

I had some help from my advisor a tuni completing the form, but this time I did a lot of it myself using the guides provided on the site, and clearly they have helped me explain my condition in a way that has assisted the decision maker in making the right award. My award has been made for 2 years for day supervision and night watching over, and for guidance and supervision outdoors, due to my severe mental health problems. This is a huge weight lifted, and you never know, given the timetable I might have another DLA renewal before being transferred to PIP.

Thanks for your support. Although the guides have been invaluable in getting the right decision, just having somewhere to post about the process and how I am doing has been helpful. Normal people who have never had to claim these benefits have no idea what it is like and how stressful it is, so it has been helpful for me to be able to post here where people understand and are sympathetic and supportive.

Now just await my ESA reassessment decision.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #112522 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Renewal
Ka

That is great news, congratulations on the award.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.