× Members

how to get help from the gp

More
10 years 5 months ago #112611 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic how to get help from the gp

leslie wrote: So in essence this further evidence could really come from the medical records I have photocopied, these show a diagnosis of disc problems in my lower back and spinal cord/disc and neurological problems in my neck or does the doctor have to give an exact physical reasoning behind why she thinks this descriptor causes me discomfort.

You need to be aware that the Decision Maker has no medical training and whilst they have access to a variety of medical resources to help them make a Decision, the easier you can make it for them the better.

So as examples;

Claimant is unable to perform x because of restriction y which is a result of condition z as indicated by evidence abc.

is better than

Claimant is unable to perform x because of restriction y which is a result of condition z

is better than

Claimant is unable to perform x because of restriction y.

is better than

Claimant is unable to perform x.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112756 by lesjo
Replied by lesjo on topic how to get help from the gp
I have now visited my GP and she said she would help, I gave her my letter that I gave to the dwp with esa50 and showed her the descriptors, I also showed her the advise regarding x,y,&z from gordon so that I didn't have to ask her any questions I just discussed a few of the support group descriptors and she agreed I fulfilled the criteria of not being able for the majority of the time etc, anyway I have to wait for the letter but have just put together a tribunal letterstating why I feel I should be in the support group, it goes like this,
Dear sir/Madam
Following my request for an appeal against the decision to remain me in the work related group, I requested an appointment with my doctor which was on the 30th Oct to see if there was anything she can write that will help with your decision, I have given her a printout of the descriptors and have asked her to comment as follows, I am unable to perform x, because of restriction y, which is a result of condition z, as indicated by evidence abc.. I have also had my medical records sent to me. Although a good few notes were illegible, I have enclosed a copy of relevant facts and supporting evidence which I feel will help in the revision of my claim. I will talk you through the dates and explain below.
The reason I am appealing is that, It is my opinion that it would be detrimental to my mental and physical health if found not to have limited capability to work as the more I do, the worse my discomfort and Pain gets, I also feel I fall into the following catagory for the descriptors to be included within the support group, with regard to the fact that for the majority of the time I cannot repeatedly mobilise 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort. With regard to this descriptor, I also feel I must make you aware that I cannot use a wheelchair for this action unless I am being pushed by another person as my discomfort would be significantly increased if I used my arms to propel myself, and now, as I have further degenerated my cervical spinal problems causes problems with both arms and it would be virtually impossible. I also cannot use a walking stick due to these problems.
I also feel I fit another two descriptors, but must be clear that it is questionable as to whether it is for the majority of the time, although I would say it is quite frequent that I have problems with these activities.
Transferring from one seated position to another. Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person. And the last is Reaching.
Cannot raise either arm as if to put something in the top pocket of a coat or jacket.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
10 years 5 months ago #112758 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic how to get help from the gp
Leslie

You will have to forgive me if this sounds like a cop out, but we can only advise members in general terms not specific ones, so you need to make the decision on what to include in your letter as only you know how you are affected and what your limitations are.

That said, with the exception of the following it looks fine, as a specific comment, whilst I would say that I have visited my GP and they are preparing a letter of support, I would not go into the discussions you had with them, it just invites the conclusion that you have prompted them, whether this is the case or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113022 by lesjo
Hi Here is my doctors support letter,
In 1997 Mr XXXXXX sustained an injury to his spine which caused considerable nerve damage. This has resulted in him having chronic pain, poor mobility, urinary problems and loss of manual dexterity.
He can walk 50-100 yards but as a result of the nerve damage/ pain becomes exhausted very quickly and has to rest after activity.
He is unable to sit in one position for any length of time as this exacerbates the neuropathic pain he is experiencing.
The nerve damage also affects the mobility of his upper limbs, his manual dexterity and the sensation in his hands which causes difficulty with activities such as hair washing or moving pans and utensils in the kitchen.
I hope these facts are taken into account when reconsidering his ESA.
Signed Doctor
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113027 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic how to get help from the gp

leslie wrote: Hi Here is my doctors support letter,
In 1997 Mr XXXXXX sustained an injury to his spine which caused considerable nerve damage. This has resulted in him having chronic pain, poor mobility, urinary problems and loss of manual dexterity.
He can walk 50-100 yards but as a result of the nerve damage/ pain becomes exhausted very quickly and has to rest after activity.
He is unable to sit in one position for any length of time as this exacerbates the neuropathic pain he is experiencing.
The nerve damage also affects the mobility of his upper limbs, his manual dexterity and the sensation in his hands which causes difficulty with activities such as hair washing or moving pans and utensils in the kitchen.
I hope these facts are taken into account when reconsidering his ESA.
Signed Doctor

Hi l,

What you need to try and do now, is tie in the facts in the letter to the relevant descriptors.

e.g. You could reference your mobility issues to Activity 1 (Mobilising)

You have the reference to walking the 50 metres, where you could mention that you cannot carry this out repeatedly, reliably and safely for the majority of the time, and then also draw reference to the sitting and upper limb limitations that should help to cover the manual wheelchair aspect of it.

So for each relevant descriptors you could cross reference the letter by paragraph and line, etc, etc.

Remember, only send copies of any letter such as this one, and keep the originals.

bro58

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113046 by lesjo
Thank you Bro,
Here is my opening paragraph,
To the decision maker,
Dear sir/Madam
Following my request for an appeal against the decision to remain me in the work related group, I requested an appointment with my doctor which was on the 30th Oct and she has written a letter of support, which is enclosed. I have also had my medical records sent to me. Although a good few notes were illegible, I have enclosed a copy of the relevant facts and supporting evidence which I feel will help in the revision of my claim. I will talk you through the dates and explain below .
The reason I am appealing is that, It is my opinion that it would be detrimental to my mental and physical health if found not to have limited capability to work as the more I do, the worse my discomfort and Pain gets, I also feel I fall into the following category for the descriptors to be included within the support group, with regard to the fact that for the majority of the time I cannot repeatedly mobilise and walk 50 meters within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort, which is supported by my doctors letter. With regard to this descriptor, I also feel I must make you aware that I cannot use a wheelchair for this action unless I am being pushed by another person as my discomfort would be significantly increased if I used my arms to propel myself, and now, as I have had further degeneration in my cervical spine which causes problems with both arms and it would be impossible for me to do. I also cannot use a walking stick due to these further problems, this is further supported by my doctors letter.
I also feel I fit another two descriptors, but must be clear that it is questionable as to whether it is for the majority of the time, although I would say it is very frequently that I have problems with these activities.
Transferring from one seated position to another. Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person. And the last is Reaching.
Cannot raise either arm as if to put something in the top pocket of a coat or jacket.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.