× Members

THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113919 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS

Mrs Hurtyback wrote: Hi Balinky,

The Decision Maker is supposed to consider all evidence submitted. However, it is entirely up to them how much weight they attach to each piece. The DWP stance is that only ATOS HCPs (and Capita when dealing with DLA) are trained to assess the impact that the claimant's condition has on their ability to meet the descriptors.

If the DLA report has been discredited then you need to provide evidence to support this.

And if they don't and it goes to appeal, then a First-tier Tribunal has wide powers on which medical evidence to reject and which to accept. I only sat on DLA/AA Tribunals but it was common for the Tribunal to reject HCP's reports preferring the claimants evidence at appeal.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law). Reason: Corrected typo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113922 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS

balinky wrote: Thank you to everyone who has answered, firstly I do not know What WRAG IS?

ESA can be awarded in either of 2 groups 'The Work Related Activity Group (WRAG)' and the Support Group.

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

As for the basis for the DWP giving more weight to ATOS than other evidence, bro has quoted this for you on the first page of this topic.

As Jim says, the Tribunal panel are more likely to pay more attention to your own statement and the evidence you have provided, rather than listening only to what ATOS have said.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by slugsta. Reason: typo

• mrjohnno
10 years 5 months ago #113928 by mrjohnno
Replied by mrjohnno on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS
It's important to use the 'additional information' page to the fullest extent though I notice that forms suggest this less and less. I tend to not even bother writing anything on some questions and just direct to the 'additional information' pages of which I write many.

More
10 years 5 months ago #113933 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS
In response to balinky,

You said;

"the fact that My evidence was accepted by DLA in regards to my health conditions, is, is it not proof that the Atos Report is not accepted?"

The answer is no, as I already stated the DWP can lean on the fact that ESA and DLA have different criteria and maintain that although although you are entitled to one, based on your evidence, you are not entitled to the other.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrjohnno

More
10 years 5 months ago #113936 by Puccalove
Replied by Puccalove on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS
Balinky said,

"Is it not the decision of the DWP to place some one in the support group, I believe I should be placed in the support group to give me the support I need, rather than dismiss my health problems out of hand."

You are right, of course, that it is the DWPs job to place the right people in the right groups. Of course I agree you should get the help you need and not feel your needs are being dismissed. However you should be aware that in this current political and economic climate the DWP are under pressure to make it look like the welfare reforms are working. That is, they are under pressure to make it look like there are lots of people capable of Work Related Activity and that the reforms are saving money.

In response to mrjohno,

The DWP are looking for you to fulfill specific criteria and so you should show explicitly that your condition does, under the headings provided, even if it means repeating yourself or stating the obvious. The DWP are not medically trained and have time constraints so are unlikely to properly read additional sheets or gleam the appropriate information.

• mrjohnno
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #113940 by mrjohnno
Replied by mrjohnno on topic THE ONLY MEDICAL EVIDENCE ACCEPTIBLE IS ATOS

Puccalove wrote: The DWP are looking for you to fulfill specific criteria and so you should show explicitly that your condition does, under the headings provided, even if it means repeating yourself or stating the obvious. The DWP are not medically trained and have time constraints so are unlikely to properly read additional sheets or gleam the appropriate information.

I understand that, but filling in any form in the belief it will not go to appeal is in my view naive. In the long past it was perhaps of benefit because the DWP would not back pay more than three months but now they do. I get lump sums now rather than regular payments which is not an issue for me but may be for some.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.